• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL Straight Tip Boots from B&M with @Misterg12 trying to look busy.

Attachments

• 7C634E99-2AFA-4790-932F-B4ADE92A86C5.jpeg
    7C634E99-2AFA-4790-932F-B4ADE92A86C5.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 21

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Top 5 Thankful Challenge

5. Color 8 Plain Toe Boots
2AEAA5B8-29DE-44DD-9555-EAE6F877A15A.jpeg

4. Cigar Wingtip Boots
8336E9DA-D79B-4B2A-AEA8-75CF5B66B37C.jpeg

3. Whiskey Perf Cap Toe Boots
675F3C6A-3434-4AFB-A9C7-98A054DEF3A7.jpeg

2. Cigar Indy
AC530E29-4A26-4B45-BCFC-78A887A360CF.jpeg

1. OG Indy (my first Aldens)
2485FA8B-72AA-4938-9C46-DFAAD6163124.jpeg

The Pair That Would Easily Top My Entire List of All Time If Not For Fit Issues. Color 8 Brixtons
96EEEBB2-12D4-4116-883D-01E97B4E7A8E.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Top 5 Thankful Challenge

5. Color 8 Plain Toe Boots
View attachment 1282533

4. Cigar Wingtip Boots
View attachment 1282535

3. Whiskey Perf Cap Toe Boots
View attachment 1282536

2. Cigar Indy
View attachment 1282539

1. OG Indy (my first Aldens)
View attachment 1282542

The Pair That Would Easily Top My Entire List of All Time If Not For Fit Issues. Color 8 Brixtons
View attachment 1282548
Very nice! I knew you'd have an interesting line up.
Are your 405 old enough to have the cloth liner? They have a noticeably longer u-tip stitch that I've seen on much older pairs. (Which looks nice)

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I knew you'd have an interesting line up.
Are your 405 old enough to have the cloth liner? They have a noticeably longer u-tip stitch that I've seen on much older pairs. (Which looks nice)
Thanks, madhat! Yes, that pair of Indys is appx. 15 years old. Cotton duck/canvas interior lining, different multi-color heel stack (above the rubber heel), and the shape/contour of the toe stitching is superior to today’s 405s. Just one man’s humble opinion. ;)

BAK

Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite - TOP 5:

#5 Indy Boot in Snuff Suede by Alden of Carmel (and others): This was my first Alden make-up and it's been a good one. I wear my 403s a lot, so when you slip these on they fell like they're half the weight. Combine that with the soft and supple suede and it's like someone mashed a boot and a slipper together and these are the result. They feel so good.

#4 The 207 Boot by David Wood: It's hard not to make this my #1 because from a design perspective it's probably my most favorite. It's a true original, which doesn't always make a design great, but I think this one works really well. It's a fantastic reinterpretation of the Michigan Boot (typically seen on Van last - which is not my favorite), but on Barrie it completely changes the look. The idea of this came from David wanting to make a 2-tone Indy boot, which Alden is loathe to do, so we flipped the idea onto Michigan, changed TruBalance to Barrie, and changed machine stitch to handsewing. The 2-tone look of Dark Brown and Black Regina is not as contrasting as you see in this photo - it's much more subtle in real life.

#3 Color 8 Plain Toe Boot by The Shoe Mart, aka The Faded Boot: I grabbed these FD's as my first pair of Alden shell cordovan. I don't generally wear dark colors on my feet, but I figured they're boots so I'll probably get some wear out of them. Then I put them in my closet where they sat untouched for a few weeks, because, well, I don't wear dark colors... so I figured I'd create a little project to see if I could fade them down to a lighter shade I'd want to wear. I was a little nervous beforehand about what might happen so I did some googling and realized the masters themselves (Horween) had blogged 10 years ago about fading some shell, so I actively faded them in mostly full sun for a good 6 months and they got quite light. In bright sunlight they can look a lot like Color 4. In indoor light folks have mistaken them for both Cigar and Ravello. In addition to just fading I added a little faux cap toe line, and a companion line just below the collar of the shoe. On Instagram I created the hashtag #TheFadedBoot (now filling up with other like minded folks) where you can see their evolution.

#2 The 979 Longwing Tan Calfskin: This was my first pair from Alden and it remains probably the 2nd most worn shoe in my collection. In fact, having been in the shoe biz most of my life, I've always had a lot of shoes so I've never needed a resole on anything. Until about 6 months after I got these. I wore these so much and pounded so much pavement that they went in for a restoration. The resole was great. The finishing job during the restoration not so much. So the factory refinished the leather a second time and they've been weirdly bullet proof ever since - like almost not needing a polish for a year. I've always been a fan of the long wingtip and these have proven to the best of any I've owned. Makes me want to fade a pair of 975's.

#1 The 403 Indy Boot: Easily my favorite pair of Alden as it's just so, well... Alden. And I wear it more than anything else - all the time outside of working hours, and sometime during working hours. I wear it everywhere - hiking in the woods, letting waves crash on it on the beach, construction around the house, out to dinner. It just does everything for me. I remember when these were brand new and I put them on to go to the beach and my wife said "You're not going to wear those to the beach are you? You'll ruin them!" And I was like "I think they'll be okay."

Cheers!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite - TOP 5:

#5 Indy Boot in Snuff Suede by Alden of Carmel (and others): This was my first Alden make-up and it's been a good one. I wear my 403s a lot, so when you slip these on they fell like they're half the weight. Combine that with the soft and supple suede and it's like someone mashed a boot and a slipper together and these are the result. They feel so good.

View attachment 1282494

#4 The 207 Boot by David Wood: It's hard not to make this my #1 because from a design perspective it's probably my most favorite. It's a true original, which doesn't always make a design great, but I think this one works really well. It's a fantastic reinterpretation of the Michigan Boot (typically seen on Van last - which is not my favorite), but on Barrie it completely changes the look. The idea of this came from David wanting to make a 2-tone Indy boot, which Alden is loathe to do, so we flipped the idea onto Michigan, changed TruBalance to Barrie, and changed machine stitch to handsewing. The 2-tone look of Dark Brown and Black Regina is not as contrasting as you see in this photo - it's much more subtle in real life.

View attachment 1282497

#3 Color 8 Plain Toe Boot by The Shoe Mart, aka The Faded Boot: I grabbed these FD's as my first pair of Alden shell cordovan. I don't generally wear dark colors on my feet, but I figured they're boots so I'll probably get some wear out of them. Then I put them in my closet where they sat untouched for a few weeks, because, well, I don't wear dark colors... so I figured I'd create a little project to see if I could fade them down to a lighter shade I'd want to wear. I was a little nervous beforehand about what might happen so I did some googling and realized the masters themselves (Horween) had blogged 10 years ago about fading some shell, so I actively faded them in mostly full sun for a good 6 months and they got quite light. In bright sunlight they can look a lot like Color 4. In indoor light folks have mistaken them for both Cigar and Ravello. In addition to just fading I added a little faux cap toe line, and a companion line just below the collar of the shoe. On Instagram I created the hashtag #TheFadedBoot (now filling up with other like minded folks) where you can see their evolution.

View attachment 1282506

#2 The 979 Longwing Tan Calfskin: This was my first pair from Alden and it remains probably the 2nd most worn shoe in my collection. In fact, having been in the shoe biz most of my life, I've always had a lot of shoes so I've never needed a resole on anything. Until about 6 months after I got these. I wore these so much and pounded so much pavement that they went in for a restoration. The resole was great. The finishing job during the restoration not so much. So the factory refinished the leather a second time and they've been weirdly bullet proof ever since - like almost not needing a polish for a year. I've always been a fan of the long wingtip and these have proven to the best of any I've owned. Makes me want to fade a pair of 975's.

View attachment 1282509

#1 The 403 Indy Boot: Easily my favorite pair of Alden as it's just so, well... Alden. And I wear it more than anything else - all the time outside of working hours, and sometime during working hours. I wear it everywhere - hiking in the woods, letting waves crash on it on the beach, construction around the house, out to dinner. It just does everything for me. I remember when these were brand new and I put them on to go to the beach and my wife said "You're not going to wear those to the beach are you? You'll ruin them!" And I was like "I think they'll be okay."

View attachment 1282511

Cheers!
I love those Indy boots!

Reactions: BAK

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don’t. ;)

Agree - I think I’ve done all the jonesing I can muster. I’m just glad there isn’t a Ravello anything out there to impulse buy right now.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite - TOP 5:

View attachment 1282494

View attachment 1282497

View attachment 1282506

View attachment 1282509

View attachment 1282511

Cheers!
Some great patina and stories going on here!

Reactions: BAK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads