• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20191117_142224.jpg

My Top 5. Well, honestly, as I was inserting pics I realized my mistake and have corrected below.

Runner Up: Ravello WT Boots
These were my first rare shell, and most expensive at the time. I wasn't going to jump on these being not quite my ideal Barrie size, but they were still there after most others were gone. I jumped and am glad I did. I love ravello so much, and these would have totally been on the top of the list if they were LHS or machine stitch Indy. As is, the fact that I have to use my pen trick to keep them fitting well and that they're less than my favorite pattern keeps them out of the top 5.
20191004_090335.jpg

#5: Cigar PCT Boots
dat olive tone. These are an amazing shade of cigar with tons of olive poking through! Very proud to have been offered these. Plaza, leather soles. The storm welt feels a bit of a juxtaposition with the more sleek uppers, but the color just kills. Makes it very hard to say my favorite rare color isn't cigar!
20191112_084507.jpg

#4: #8 Atom Blutchers
Bunch of firsts here. First shell. First Alden. First purchase from @smfdoc. @JSO1 knew what he was doing! Sleek, best medallion, leather soles, Plaza last, plus the Atom's unique pattern. So many interesting lines; I end up staring at these too many times during the day.
20190528_101910.jpg

#3: #8 Cassill Wholecut Loafers
The nearly forgotten new love. These would sit higher if they were easier to pair daily (just feel a bit too dressy for my linens). Half down from my usual Plaza size is a dream, and oh the clean-ness of it all!
20190815_092457.jpg

#2: Hunting Green LHS
Really any of the suede LHSs, but I chose these over snuff because green. Van and AE's 606 are excellent loafer lasts for me and my lower vamp needs. Gotta catch em all!
20190415_145454.jpg

#1: #8 Medallion Toe Boots
Single leather. Plaza. Flat 270 welt. All eyelets. My favorite medallion. How could these not be #1? Honestly, I don't think I'd want them in any other color even.
20191029_095633.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1281838
My Top 5. Well, honestly, as I was inserting pics I realized my mistake and have corrected below.

These were my first rare shell, and most expensive at the time. I wasn't going to jump on these being not quite my ideal Barrie size, but they were still there after most others were gone. I jumped and am glad I did. I love ravello so much, and these would have totally been on the top of the list if they were LHS or machine stitch Indy. As is, the fact that I have to use my pen trick to keep them fitting well and that they're less than my favorite pattern keeps them out of the top 5.
View attachment 1281841

dat olive tone. These are an amazing shade of cigar with tons of olive poking through! Very proud to have been offered these. Plaza, leather soles. The storm welt feels a bit of a juxtaposition with the more sleek uppers, but the color just kills. Makes it very hard to say my favorite rare color isn't cigar!
View attachment 1281839

Bunch of firsts here. First shell. First Alden. First purchase from @smfdoc. @JSO1 knew what he was doing! Sleek, best medallion, leather soles, Plaza last, plus the Atom's unique pattern. So many interesting lines; I end up staring at these too many times during the day.
View attachment 1281845

The nearly forgotten new love. These would sit higher if they were easier to pair daily (just feel a bit too dressy for my linens). Half down from my usual Plaza size is a dream, and oh the clean-ness of it all!
View attachment 1281842

Really any of the suede LHSs, but I chose these over snuff because green. Van and AE's 606 are excellent loafer lasts for me and my lower vamp needs. Gotta catch em all!
View attachment 1281846

Single leather. Plaza. Flat 270 welt. All eyelets. My favorite medallion. How could these not be #1? Honestly, I don't think I'd want them in any other color even.
View attachment 1281840
'dem Olive jumpers!!

darkclassic

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thought that it would be fun to do something fun and special. With Thanksgiving coming up, thought that it would be nice to share the 5 pairs that you are most Thankful to have (a.k.a. Your Favorite Five). The shoes have to be in your personal collection.

View attachment 1281580

I thought that I would kick this off with my personal favorites. I will say that it was really hard to pick 5 personally, because each pair has a special story associated with them.

5. Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan NST Bluchers.

View attachment 1281583

This is actually my second pair of these guys. My first pair was a 10D and I begrudgingly shoved my feet into them. Finally, I got the call from Leffot that they were going to remake them and I was able to get an 11B. I love these in particular because of their shade. Their color is just phenomenal and looks like chocolate that I want to bite into. The handwork is nothing short of impressive and it’s always nice to see the Cigar and Antique combination.

View attachment 1281584

4. Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafers.

View attachment 1281587

You know, there is always something special about the first pair. These are mine. All of my other Alden’s can thank these guys for getting me going. Alden says that their Tassel is often replicated, but never duplicated and they are right. These are just a phenomenal model with a great balance. After nearly 8 years of good wear, these guys have faded tremendously and have an amazing patina coming in.

View attachment 1281588

3. Alden x Brooks Brothers Unlined Whiskey Shell Cordovan LHS.

View attachment 1281590

I could probably end this explanation with just Unlined Whiskey and that would be good enough justification. But I love loafers and these are about as good as they get. Super soft and supple that just hugs my toes and an amazing color that just continues to take on more character each time I take them out. I also got these guys used on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price, but that was because they were really beat up. I have sincerely enjoyed bringing them back to life, spending time brushing and polishing them and nurturing them back to the beauties they are today.

View attachment 1281592

2. Alden Color #4 Wingtip Boots.

View attachment 1281585

Seriously, because they are stinking Color #4! This color doesn’t quit. It is just the most beautiful shade of Shell Cordovan that I have seen. The perfect blend of Browns and Reds make this untouchable. Combined with Alden’s perfectly balanced Wingtip Boot pattern and the always comfortable Barrie Last and you have the ultimate untouchable.

View attachment 1281586

1. Alden x JCrew Brassvello LWBs.

View attachment 1281581

Yes, it is possible to top Color #4, and these guys do it. The Longwing or Gunboat pattern has always been my favorite. It maximizes the “hole punches” as my wife likes to call them. These stellar Gunboats are paired with what I consider to be the nicest shade of Ravello that I have ever seen, the perfect Caramel with Red undertones combating the Brown base shade. That shade paired with Alden’s amazing and coveted Antique Edges is topped with the perfect icing, the Exposed Brass Eyelets. The Brass pops perfectly against the Ravello and Antique and provides a perfect balance with all of the broguing.

View attachment 1281582

Here is the lineup of shoes that I am the most thankful to have the ability to curate.

View attachment 1281617

View attachment 1281618

View attachment 1281619

Would love to see what pairs everyone else here is most thankful to have this week!

-Mike
Terrific topic Mr Mayor. I've much to be thankful for in the Alden category. Here's my take in no particular order:

whiskey 100919.jpg

TSM Whiskey longwings (Barrie) - My first rare shell score and still a keystone in my collection.

daytrippers 111219.jpg

DC Ravello Daytripper (Grant) - There is just SO much win in these.

20190727_104838.jpg

TSM Cigar Plaza WTBs - I'm grateful I was able to buy these NIB from a fellow on SF. They are still closet queens but will hit the rotation this spring.

TTG 110819.jpg

TO Tie Guy snuff WTB from Epaulet (Plaza) - Another NIB score on SF (thanks). My favorite snuff makeup.

grant le cxl.jpg

Leatherfoot Emporium Natural CXL Straight Tip Boot (Grant) - Bought these from a fellow that wore them one time, so effectively new. I'm a big fan of natural CXL and these are a favorite makeup in that leather.

Alden Context NST Black Shell Instagram Pic.jpg

Black shell NST (Barrie) from Context ( I call them my "Blackbirds") Still NIB so closet queens but had to have these. Big fan of the NST on Barrie as you will see another below. My pics of these are awful so I used the slick IG pic posted by Context.

nst 2 091919.jpg

Unlined NST on Barrie from Adam at Alden of Carmel - My only unlined shell... fantastic shoes.

grant wtb 101019.jpg

Color 8 WTB on Grant from Brick& Mortar - NIB Ebay score. Lots to like in this makeup for me. Frequently worn in my rotation so deserving of mention.

indy 082619-2.jpg

J Crew 405 Indy in kudu (TB) - I didn't think this post would be complete without the champions of the rotation. These have dominated my collection in terms of wear since arrival. I list them as honorable mentions only because I've come to take them for granted - perhaps that's a whole different post topic?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Terrific topic Mr Mayor. I've much to be thankful for in the Alden category. Here's my take in no particular order:

View attachment 1281906
TSM Whiskey longwings (Barrie) - My first rare shell score and still a keystone in my collection.

View attachment 1281908
DC Ravello Daytripper (Grant) - There is just SO much win in these.

View attachment 1281904
TSM Cigar Plaza WTBs - I'm grateful I was able to buy these NIB from a fellow on SF. They are still closet queens but will hit the rotation this spring.

View attachment 1281907
TO Tie Guy snuff WTB from Epaulet (Plaza) - Another NIB score on SF (thanks). My favorite snuff makeup.

View attachment 1281914
Leatherfoot Emporium Natural CXL Straight Tip Boot (Grant) - Bought these from a fellow that wore them one time, so effectively new. I'm a big fan of natural CXL and these are a favorite makeup in that leather.

View attachment 1281915
Black shell NST (Barrie) from Context ( I call them my "Blackbirds") Still NIB so closet queens but had to have these. Big fan of the NST on Barrie as you will see another below. My pics of these are awful so I used the slick IG pic posted by Context.

View attachment 1281917
Unlined NST on Barrie from Adam at Alden of Carmel - My only unlined shell... fantastic shoes.

View attachment 1281918
Color 8 WTB on Grant from Brick& Mortar - NIB Ebay score. Lots to like in this makeup for me. Frequently worn in my rotation so deserving of mention.

View attachment 1281916
J Crew 405 Indy in kudu (TB) - I didn't think this post would be complete without the champions of the rotation. These have dominated my collection in terms of wear since arrival. I list them as honorable mentions only because I've come to take them for granted - perhaps that's a whole different post topic?
Oh Thank God someone posted an Indy. I'm compiling my top 5, and plain old Indy boots are one of the 5. I'm afraid when I post tomorrow, there may not be as much awesome shell as has been posted so far. But the criteria were "5 FAVORITE Aldens" and honestly rare shell is only a couple of mine....posting tomorrow the top 5.......

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have 5 pairs of Aldens, so this isn't so hard for me.

Grant last, medallion tip boots in Color 8, with 4 speed hooks on double leather.

View attachment 1281804

Tan Indy on red micro sole, all eyelets.

View attachment 1281798

Cigar on Tremont. (I think I'm right on the last).

View attachment 1281799

Hunter green suede. Aberdeen.

View attachment 1281800

Simple puch cap on Hampton.

View attachment 1281796

Oh my! I've never seen those cigar Tremont before. What are those and how old are they? I've never seen pinking and perfing like that.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited Soldier's Memorial today (first time); what a great museum! Unfortunately I didn't get to spend enough time there today.

Color 8 plain toe boot on Commando. Does anyone else get a bit of pinky/ring toe pinch with the Barrie last?

DSC00122.JPG
DSC00124.JPG
Edited.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are Leydon

Interesting. Never come across that makeup anywhere else on the net not even in another color.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thought that it would be fun to do something fun and special. With Thanksgiving coming up, thought that it would be nice to share the 5 pairs that you are most Thankful to have (a.k.a. Your Favorite Five). The shoes have to be in your personal collection.

View attachment 1281580

I thought that I would kick this off with my personal favorites. I will say that it was really hard to pick 5 personally, because each pair has a special story associated with them.

5. Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan NST Bluchers.

View attachment 1281583

This is actually my second pair of these guys. My first pair was a 10D and I begrudgingly shoved my feet into them. Finally, I got the call from Leffot that they were going to remake them and I was able to get an 11B. I love these in particular because of their shade. Their color is just phenomenal and looks like chocolate that I want to bite into. The handwork is nothing short of impressive and it’s always nice to see the Cigar and Antique combination.

View attachment 1281584

4. Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafers.

View attachment 1281587

You know, there is always something special about the first pair. These are mine. All of my other Alden’s can thank these guys for getting me going. Alden says that their Tassel is often replicated, but never duplicated and they are right. These are just a phenomenal model with a great balance. After nearly 8 years of good wear, these guys have faded tremendously and have an amazing patina coming in.

View attachment 1281588

3. Alden x Brooks Brothers Unlined Whiskey Shell Cordovan LHS.

View attachment 1281590

I could probably end this explanation with just Unlined Whiskey and that would be good enough justification. But I love loafers and these are about as good as they get. Super soft and supple that just hugs my toes and an amazing color that just continues to take on more character each time I take them out. I also got these guys used on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price, but that was because they were really beat up. I have sincerely enjoyed bringing them back to life, spending time brushing and polishing them and nurturing them back to the beauties they are today.

View attachment 1281592

2. Alden Color #4 Wingtip Boots.

View attachment 1281585

Seriously, because they are stinking Color #4! This color doesn’t quit. It is just the most beautiful shade of Shell Cordovan that I have seen. The perfect blend of Browns and Reds make this untouchable. Combined with Alden’s perfectly balanced Wingtip Boot pattern and the always comfortable Barrie Last and you have the ultimate untouchable.

View attachment 1281586

1. Alden x JCrew Brassvello LWBs.

View attachment 1281581

Yes, it is possible to top Color #4, and these guys do it. The Longwing or Gunboat pattern has always been my favorite. It maximizes the “hole punches” as my wife likes to call them. These stellar Gunboats are paired with what I consider to be the nicest shade of Ravello that I have ever seen, the perfect Caramel with Red undertones combating the Brown base shade. That shade paired with Alden’s amazing and coveted Antique Edges is topped with the perfect icing, the Exposed Brass Eyelets. The Brass pops perfectly against the Ravello and Antique and provides a perfect balance with all of the broguing.

View attachment 1281582

Here is the lineup of shoes that I am the most thankful to have the ability to curate.

View attachment 1281617

View attachment 1281618

View attachment 1281619

Would love to see what pairs everyone else here is most thankful to have this week!

-Mike

Thoroughly enjoyed the pic's Mr. Mayor. Enjoyed reading the story behind each one even more. Thanks for sharing.

My Alden collection is still so small that I can just barely get in on this, and as it is, I have to cheat on the Mayor's rules a bit, as you'll see in a moment. And really, these aren't in order of least to most favorite (except for #1)...

5) This pair is actually not in my collection any more, because I just sold them to fellow enthusiast @SonnyUte. As I said to him just a couple of days ago, if these had fit me as well as they fit him, I never would have sold them. But it seems the Hampton last (or at least this iteration of it) is a bit too roomy in the toebox to really work for me TTS. Still, I loved these boots: the original Alden x Leffot Dearborn (and no, this is not a shot from the Leffot website; these are the actual boots. I've been practicing a little "product photography on a seamless white background" lately):

View attachment 1281680

4) Another favorite makeup from Leffot; their Blue Suede NST. I got in on this pre-order this spring, and it turned out to be the shortest pre-order I've ever heard of: I put down my deposit on June 29th, and got the notification they were ready on July 19th.

View attachment 1281684

3) Another favorite is my bone-stock Burnished Tan Calf LHSs, bought back in April of this year from TSM; these are my second pair of Aldens (acquired a long time after my first pair):

View attachment 1281688

2) Number 2 on the list are these gorgeous Unlined Color 8 Dovers from Yenni that I scored off of eBay (from someone who had only ever tried them on) for a ridicuously low price at the end of July:

View attachment 1281689

1) My first pair of Aldens, bought 15 years ago, and unquestionably my favorites; my Traditional Saddles in Color 8:

View attachment 1281690

BTW: I've got two more pair on pre-order right now, and am planning to pick up another stock model soon, so I'll actually have to pick my top 5 next time we play this... ;)

So many nice entries from my SF brothers. Calling this one out because I just love these saddles and enjoy them every time you post them. At some point, I will own these.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited Soldier's Memorial today (first time); what a great museum! Unfortunately I didn't get to spend enough time there today.

Color 8 plain toe boot on Commando. Does anyone else get a bit of pinky/ring toe pinch with the Barrie last?

View attachment 1281926 View attachment 1281927 View attachment 1281928
Not with Barrie, specifically (low instep keeps me from wearing Barrie), but I've had that problem with shoes/lasts that were a smidge too short or had a too aggressive taper on the outside for my foot shape.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my! I've never seen those cigar Tremont before. What are those and how old are they? I've never seen pinking and perfing like that.

Those are Leydon

Yes. They are Leydon. I knew they were one off from Grant, but couldn't remember which direction. JSO1 knows more about them than me. They are ~10 years old from a European dealer. JSO1 bought them from Leffot and returned them before I bough them. I had them recrafted before wearing them because they were stretched out around the ankles.

I have to say, they are a bit oddly shaped to my eye as oxfords. My oxfords, except my Hampton lasted perf tip in black, are all chisel toes from Crockett & Jones and Alfred Sargent so a rounder, wider shoe looks a bit out of place. If they were bluchers I probably wouldn't have the same reaction every time I look down.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1281838

View attachment 1281841

View attachment 1281839

View attachment 1281845

View attachment 1281842

View attachment 1281846

View attachment 1281840

I was curious to see what you would choose, and I have the same feeling towards that specific medallion. The Atom bluchers sure do slap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads