• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thought that it would be fun to do something fun and special. With Thanksgiving coming up, thought that it would be nice to share the 5 pairs that you are most Thankful to have (a.k.a. Your Favorite Five). The shoes have to be in your personal collection.

D8548A0F-6EF9-48B1-90C0-B6F3BE434699.jpeg

I thought that I would kick this off with my personal favorites. I will say that it was really hard to pick 5 personally, because each pair has a special story associated with them.

5. Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan NST Bluchers.

3F7D6E12-65E1-4582-93D1-3EE41005349C.jpeg

This is actually my second pair of these guys. My first pair was a 10D and I begrudgingly shoved my feet into them. Finally, I got the call from Leffot that they were going to remake them and I was able to get an 11B. I love these in particular because of their shade. Their color is just phenomenal and looks like chocolate that I want to bite into. The handwork is nothing short of impressive and it’s always nice to see the Cigar and Antique combination.

6154A960-909F-48D4-AC4A-63A6A888E7CC.jpeg

4. Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafers.

B0503642-72E4-490D-B8E8-4F06678CB1C8.jpeg

You know, there is always something special about the first pair. These are mine. All of my other Alden’s can thank these guys for getting me going. Alden says that their Tassel is often replicated, but never duplicated and they are right. These are just a phenomenal model with a great balance. After nearly 8 years of good wear, these guys have faded tremendously and have an amazing patina coming in.

86368673-347A-4166-BED9-B40593531870.jpeg

3. Alden x Brooks Brothers Unlined Whiskey Shell Cordovan LHS.

8D0E189E-C2FD-4AD0-AAEC-6347E9E7106D.jpeg

I could probably end this explanation with just Unlined Whiskey and that would be good enough justification. But I love loafers and these are about as good as they get. Super soft and supple that just hugs my toes and an amazing color that just continues to take on more character each time I take them out. I also got these guys used on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price, but that was because they were really beat up. I have sincerely enjoyed bringing them back to life, spending time brushing and polishing them and nurturing them back to the beauties they are today.

BE270CFD-7129-403C-9DF0-FEA7CDF3ACF2.jpeg

2. Alden Color #4 Wingtip Boots.

2B4B6BF3-81BC-477A-9A7B-D192FBE2E2C0.jpeg

Seriously, because they are stinking Color #4! This color doesn’t quit. It is just the most beautiful shade of Shell Cordovan that I have seen. The perfect blend of Browns and Reds make this untouchable. Combined with Alden’s perfectly balanced Wingtip Boot pattern and the always comfortable Barrie Last and you have the ultimate untouchable.

C0AE764F-BC36-4F07-9F14-75710130B43A.jpeg

1. Alden x JCrew Brassvello LWBs.

BBA86B10-5D00-4C74-8D97-69488CC4A74B.jpeg

Yes, it is possible to top Color #4, and these guys do it. The Longwing or Gunboat pattern has always been my favorite. It maximizes the “hole punches” as my wife likes to call them. These stellar Gunboats are paired with what I consider to be the nicest shade of Ravello that I have ever seen, the perfect Caramel with Red undertones combating the Brown base shade. That shade paired with Alden’s amazing and coveted Antique Edges is topped with the perfect icing, the Exposed Brass Eyelets. The Brass pops perfectly against the Ravello and Antique and provides a perfect balance with all of the broguing.

44644644-7AC7-492D-89C5-6BEA24610115.jpeg

Here is the lineup of shoes that I am the most thankful to have the ability to curate.

9E9DCECC-C8F4-4C11-9CAA-33EB9EB57DC5.jpeg

D7919990-3E46-4878-916B-1157C56AFFF3.jpeg

E15A30D3-4F02-4288-BD10-931D6F785E27.jpeg

Would love to see what pairs everyone else here is most thankful to have this week!

-Mike

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thought that it would be fun to do something fun and special. With Thanksgiving coming up, thought that it would be nice to share the 5 pairs that you are most Thankful to have (a.k.a. Your Favorite Five). The shoes have to be in your personal collection.

View attachment 1281580

I thought that I would kick this off with my personal favorites. I will say that it was really hard to pick 5 personally, because each pair has a special story associated with them.

View attachment 1281583

This is actually my second pair of these guys. My first pair was a 10D and I begrudgingly shoved my feet into them. Finally, I got the call from Leffot that they were going to remake them and I was able to get an 11B. I love these in particular because of their shade. Their color is just phenomenal and looks like chocolate that I want to bite into. The handwork is nothing short of impressive and it’s always nice to see the Cigar and Antique combination.

View attachment 1281584

View attachment 1281587

You know, there is always something special about the first pair. These are mine. All of my other Alden’s can thank these guys for getting me going. Alden says that their Tassel is often replicated, but never duplicated and they are right. These are just a phenomenal model with a great balance. After nearly 8 years of good wear, these guys have faded tremendously and have an amazing patina coming in.

View attachment 1281588

View attachment 1281590

I could probably end this explanation with just Unlined Whiskey and that would be good enough justification. But I love loafers and these are about as good as they get. Super soft and supple that just hugs my toes and an amazing color that just continues to take on more character each time I take them out. I also got these guys used on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price, but that was because they were really beat up. I have sincerely enjoyed bringing them back to life, spending time brushing and polishing them and nurturing them back to the beauties they are today.

View attachment 1281592

View attachment 1281585

Seriously, because they are stinking Color #4! This color doesn’t quit. It is just the most beautiful shade of Shell Cordovan that I have seen. The perfect blend of Browns and Reds make this untouchable. Combined with Alden’s perfectly balanced Wingtip Boot pattern and the always comfortable Barrie Last and you have the ultimate untouchable.

View attachment 1281586

View attachment 1281581

Yes, it is possible to top Color #4, and these guys do it. The Longwing or Gunboat pattern has always been my favorite. It maximizes the “hole punches” as my wife likes to call them. These stellar Gunboats are paired with what I consider to be the nicest shade of Ravello that I have ever seen, the perfect Caramel with Red undertones combating the Brown base shade. That shade paired with Alden’s amazing and coveted Antique Edges is topped with the perfect icing, the Exposed Brass Eyelets. The Brass pops perfectly against the Ravello and Antique and provides a perfect balance with all of the broguing.

View attachment 1281582

Here is the lineup of shoes that I am the most thankful to have the ability to curate.

View attachment 1281617

View attachment 1281618

View attachment 1281619

Would love to see what pairs everyone else here is most thankful to have this week!

-Mike
Very nice, Mike!

My 5:

#1 - Color 8 Tanker from Alden Madison. My very first pair of Alden. Bought these about 4 years ago while I was still working at Allen Edmonds. @JSO1 played a big role in me purchasing these when stopping by my AE shop to show me his Alden collection.

View attachment 1281634

#2 - Color 8 Barrie PCT from Jcrew.

#3 - Lady Calf Barrie Wingtip Boots from Leather Soul

#4 - Tan Calf Wingtip Boots on Barrie from B&M.

#5 - Straight Tip CXL Boots from B&M

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

View attachment 1281580

View attachment 1281583

View attachment 1281584

View attachment 1281587

View attachment 1281588

View attachment 1281590

View attachment 1281592

View attachment 1281585

View attachment 1281586

View attachment 1281581

View attachment 1281582

View attachment 1281617

View attachment 1281618

View attachment 1281619

-Mike
My Alden collection is still so small that I can just barely get in on this, and as it is, I have to cheat on the Mayor's rules a bit, as you'll see in a moment. And really, these aren't in order of least to most favorite (except for #1)...

5) This pair is actually not in my collection any more, because I just sold them to fellow enthusiast @SonnyUte. As I said to him just a couple of days ago, if these had fit me as well as they fit him, I never would have sold them. But it seems the Hampton last (or at least this iteration of it) is a bit too roomy in the toebox to really work for me TTS. Still, I loved these boots: the original Alden x Leffot Dearborn (and no, this is not a shot from the Leffot website; these are the actual boots. I've been practicing a little "product photography on a seamless white background" lately):

left.jpg

4) Another favorite makeup from Leffot; their Blue Suede NST. I got in on this pre-order this spring, and it turned out to be the shortest pre-order I've ever heard of: I put down my deposit on June 29th, and got the notification they were ready on July 19th.

20191115_NSTs.jpg

3) Another favorite is my bone-stock Burnished Tan Calf LHSs, bought back in April of this year from TSM; these are my second pair of Aldens (acquired a long time after my first pair):

20190712_983s.jpg

2) Number 2 on the list are these gorgeous Unlined Color 8 Dovers from Yenni that I scored off of eBay (from someone who had only ever tried them on) for a ridicuously low price at the end of July:

20191025_dovers.jpg

1) My first pair of Aldens, bought 15 years ago, and unquestionably my favorites; my Traditional Saddles in Color 8:

20191103_994s.jpg

BTW: I've got two more pair on pre-order right now, and am planning to pick up another stock model soon, so I'll actually have to pick my top 5 next time we play this... ;)

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

View attachment 1281580

-Mike

I only have 5 pairs of Aldens, so this isn't so hard for me.

Grant last, medallion tip boots in Color 8, with 4 speed hooks on double leather.

IMG_0134.JPG

Tan Indy on red micro sole, all eyelets.

Yx9dXCWRRCOd+CzHbqoJqw.jpg

Cigar on Tremont. (I think I'm right on the last).

IMG_0931.JPG

Hunter green suede. Aberdeen.

IMG_0861.JPG

Simple puch cap on Hampton.

zC8UOgWiS9S7p8v%3CwOMw.jpg

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my Thankful 5 I didn’t over-think. Just listing the first 5 great ones that came to mind.

1. Mahogany NST on Plaza - very limited production by AoC. Superb color on these.
73F07864-4B3F-4196-B5D2-0518597AB66A.jpeg

2. TSM Whiskey Jumpers - I’m really not a whiskey fan (sold all of my whiskey a few yeas ago) but I love the details on this boot - PCT, all eyelets, and waterloc soles.

50D37487-6FDA-4933-B75A-F78FE94EF1E8.jpeg

3. Ravello Jumpers - Ravello is my favorite exotic. Very happy to be able to get on this very limited run by AoM. I’d never seen a Ravello Jumper before this one.
896D8CCF-8923-4FF8-8665-6109BA5F5111.jpeg

4. LS Choco Tanker - I had this boot on my list for at least 7 years. I was never able to get in on the order for this boot. Finally this year I got lucky. So I’m very thankful to finally get this one.

ED0E507F-D2FE-4335-B7D3-9CA68EF1CE69.jpeg

5. Color 8 Shell Indy on Cork soles and Thomas Heels. This boot checks all the boxes for me -Indy, king shell, comfy neo-cork soles, and the ultra supportive thomas heels for my flat feet. This is a true winner all around. It was difficult to get in the US until I begged a retailer to please make it for the US Market. I’m very thankful that they obliged.

F23DA945-C3B5-4CF6-ADFD-7568D2CF2327.jpeg

Honorable Mention - Reverse Green Chamois Indy. - I’m a huge fan of Indys of course, but these are really ones to be thankful for because Reverse Green Chamois is pretty much extinct now.

Attachments

• 4272CE71-0EC4-439D-8D7A-A036D5AB6789.jpeg
    4272CE71-0EC4-439D-8D7A-A036D5AB6789.jpeg
    666.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Very nice, Mike!

My 5:

#1 - Color 8 Tanker from Alden Madison. My very first pair of Alden. Bought these about 4 years ago while I was still working at Allen Edmonds. @JSO1 played a big role in me purchasing these when stopping by my AE shop to show me his Alden collection.

View attachment 1281656

View attachment 1281634

#2 - Color 8 Barrie PCT from Jcrew.
View attachment 1281644

#3 - Lady Calf Barrie Wingtip Boots from Leather Soul
View attachment 1281645

#4 - Tan Calf Wingtip Boots on Barrie from B&M.
View attachment 1281647

#5 - Straight Tip CXL Boots from B&M
View attachment 1281655

Thanks Jim! All 5 look just superb and would be loved by anyone. Love your story of JSO evangelizing you while you were working at AE!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I only have 5 pairs of Aldens, so this isn't so hard for me.

Grant last, medallion tip boots in Color 8, with 4 speed hooks on double leather.

View attachment 1281804

Tan Indy on red micro sole, all eyelets.

View attachment 1281798

Cigar on Tremont. (I think I'm right on the last).

View attachment 1281799

Hunter green suede. Aberdeen.

View attachment 1281800

Simple puch cap on Hampton.

View attachment 1281796

Very awesome. All of them look just superb on you and would be nice to have in any closet.

-Mike

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my Thankful 5 I didn’t over-think. Just listing the first 5 great ones that came to mind.

1. Mahogany NST on Plaza - very limited production by AoC. Superb color on these.
View attachment 1281786

2. TSM Whiskey Jumpers - I’m really not a whiskey fan (sold all of my whiskey a few yeas ago) but I love the details on this boot - PCT, all eyelets, and waterloc soles.

View attachment 1281793

3. Ravello Jumpers - Ravello is my favorite exotic. Very happy to be able to get on this very limited run by AoM. I’d never seen a Ravello Jumper before this one.
View attachment 1281794

4 LS Choco Tanker - I had this boot on my list for at least 7 years. I was never able to get in on the order for this boot. Finally this year I got lucky. So I’m very thankful to finally get this one.

View attachment 1281797

5. Color 8 Shell Indy on Cork soles and Thomas Heels. This boot checks all the boxes for me -Indy, king shell, comfy neo-cork soles, and the ultra supportive thomas heels for my flat feet. This is a true winner all around. It was difficult to get in the US until I begged a retailer to please make it for the US Market. I’m very thankful that they obliged.

View attachment 1281805

Honorable Menti Reverse Green Chamois Indy. - I’m a huge fan of Indys of course, but these are really ones to be thankful for because Reverse Green Chamois is pretty much extinct now.

oh my .... those mahogany splits
200.gif

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

View attachment 1281786

View attachment 1281793

View attachment 1281794

4 LS Choco Tanker - I had this boot on my list for at least 7 years. I was never able to get in on the order for this boot. Finally this year I got lucky. So I’m very thankful to finally get this one.

View attachment 1281797

View attachment 1281805

Honorable Menti Reverse Green Chamois Indy. - I’m a huge fan of Indys of course, but these are really ones to be thankful for because Reverse Green Chamois is pretty much extinct now.

Joe, an all star line up that I would be proud to rock. I knew your Mahogany NSTs were going to be there and I am super stoked to see that Whiskey made it!!! Super cool that the unattainable Choco Tanker finally landed into happy hands. My Choco Tanker was one of my super close runner ups, because I concur that is a must have boot.

Love the narrative on your Thomas Heeled Neocork Indy because in the end, fit and comfort is king for footwear. Superb contribution and thanks for joining me in this!!!

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads