• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brushed and creased :inlove:
Also...jeans are allowed at work again. So I've got that going for me, which is nice

20191009_092728.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After watching all of the news concerning events on the other side of the pacific rim, I am happy I am able to slip on Alden boots and shoes. ??

mykii2704

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on sizing for barrie boots vs shoes? I fit a 10D comfortably, am a 10.5D for grant, but not sure if the Barrie in shoes will be equally tts to my boot size if there's a little room in them (comfy not loose per se). But I also don't want sloppy shoes. I know w/ other manufacturers like Carmina there is typically more volume on lasted boots vs shoes.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a long wait, the Plymouth has landed. This is Alden Madison’s revamp of the 974 on the Plaza last. I’m a 9.5E on the Hampton with full-facings closure and assumed that I’d have no trouble with that size on the Plaza, but as evidenced by the attached photo: no dice.
Here’s hoping they stock EE (or maybe even EEE, but I’m not holding my breath).
Didn’t expect the waist on the Plaza to be so narrow compared the Hampton, but the Plaza fit seems reminiscent of the Allen Edmonds 65 last for my foot. I’ll post better pictures, assuming I can get the fit right.

Damn this flat, high-instep foot of mine! View attachment 1254495
Honestly, I think that's fine, and will only get better as they break in. Much wider and I'd be iffy too, but...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you on these points and I really appreciate the input, but the waist of the shoe is just too narrow for my wide, flat foot. The facings gap is definitely acceptable, as I expect that it would close after the footbed is broken in, but my nonexistent arch feels like it is being tightly gripped by the shoe even when loosely laced.

I can attest to having too much room as a negative, as my Hampton 9.5Es are almost too roomy in the toes/ball area. I easily get a full closure with most dress socks, so I wish that they were more narrow.
Ooops - the perils of responding while catching up. It's a shame they're not working out. :(

kellte2

Reaction score
Ooops - the perils of responding while catching up. It's a shame they're not working out. :(

The recommendation from the shop was that I probably need the EE, but that’s not available at the moment and won’t be unless/until they re-order the makeup. I’m on the list in the event that they do, but hey, at least I now know my plaza size, so I’ve got that going for me! :rotflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads