• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, B+M. Where did you get your round laces

Great makeup!

Allen Edmonds. I think most guys here get their laces because they're cheap and easily accessible.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And despite them showing up at DC in ~2014, they were actually made in May 2010.

How in the world did that happen? 4 years later?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the unlined Dover differ from the Plain Toe Blucher? Besides being unlined, obviously.

Looks like a bit more shapely/dressy toe, despite being on the Barrie last (both of them).

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the unlined Dover differ from the Plain Toe Blucher? Besides being unlined, obviously.

Looks like a bit more shapely/dressy toe, despite being on the Barrie last (both of them).

The Dover is a derby whereas the PTB is a blucher (see the difference in the general shape of the leather and construction on the rear quarter). Dovers are also usually single leather soles vs double leather on PTBs.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Dover is a derby whereas the PTB is a blucher (see the difference in the general shape of the leather and construction on the rear quarter). Dovers are also usually single leather soles vs double leather on PTBs.

Thank you.

I see the stitching difference between the two on the side panel of the derby (see photo). The toebox looks flatter and more pointed in the derby.

I am not sure I see a difference in the rear besides that stitch I mentioned.

I suppose you could dress the derby up a bit whereas the PTB is what it is?

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I very much like the 990's. I meant bricks in the monster shoe nuance.. like 975. Kick a shin in those and break a leg..

Loving these BB Tassels.. so glad I bagged on the Alden exit..
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I asked the same question a while back, and I believe @Vocans answered me then, too, but I also googled around and found this article at Gentlemen's Gazette which explains the difference in detail:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked the same question a while back, and I believe @Vocans answered me then, too, but I also googled around and found this article at Gentlemen's Gazette which explains the difference in detail:

Thank you. I will take a look in hopes of clearing things up in my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics