• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankmartin

Reaction score
Back from factory restoration. Other than some polishing and brushing, Alden didn't do anything to the uppers. They still look like aged cigar. New sock liners, new soles.

My only question is whether or not to get lulu taps before I wear them. My normal wear pattern is toe wear and outer heel, but the toe damage seems to vary by last and maker - some are worse than others. I have them on one pair of EG and they have been a nice addition, although walking on concrete felt a little odd at first.

View attachment 1238895

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a Vibram or Topy sole protector sheet applied to just the toes. Maybe the first inch or two, thus leaving most of the leather sole untouched. Seems like it would be easier to replace than lulu tips and less noisy than either lulu tips or those plastic toe protectors.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a Vibram or Topy sole protector sheet applied to just the toes. Maybe the first inch or two, thus leaving most of the leather sole untouched. Seems like it would be easier to replace than lulu tips and less noisy than either lulu tips or those plastic toe protectors.

Kind of the inverse of what Alden does with crepe sole where they put leather on the tips.
I think topy tip would be irritating AF and it'd always be catching on carpets.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kind of the inverse of what Alden does with crepe sole where they put leather on the tips.
Agreed. I know AE specifically added the leather "toe tap" on their crepe because testers were tripping walking up stairs as the toe of the crepe caught different than they were expecting.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a version of flush toe tap that is rubber. I haven’t seen it used often though.

frankmartin

Reaction score

I've never found topy'd shoes to catch on carpets. They do however eliminate toe drag.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today is wingtip Wednesday on this somber anniversary. I find it difficult to accept how much things have changed since that day. I would comment further, but that is not the purpose of the thread. So I will move on to day three of my first boot week.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same question. Boots are stellar! Also much prefer Coke to Pepsi.
When they did the New Coke thing years ago, I went out and bought 10 cases of old coke, was planning on storing it in the basement, unopened, and savor one or two a month until gone and then search for a decent Pepsi alternative, then they brought coke classic back, so I had a lot of Coca Cola in storage, oh well.

darkclassic

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I scored these as TSM seconds and they are stamped Leffot but I've never seen them otherwise. They were listed as barrie but are on the Grant last, with commando sole, brown grain with brass hardware. Wish they were 360 welt (my preference) but otherwise a terrific makeup.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I scored these as TSM seconds and they are stamped Leffot but I've never seen them otherwise. They were listed as barrie but are on the Grant last, with commando sole, brown grain with brass hardware. Wish they were 360 welt (my preference) but otherwise a terrific makeup.
They remind me of the original Dearborn, except with a captoe and without the suede shaft. Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics