• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ1

Reaction score
Any idea when natty cxl will be no more? One boot I would like to get my hands on before it’s too late.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to work pretty well for me. :D

So, it's probably more effort for the top of the welt than you want to put in, but you could just sand down the edges and stain them antique/chili. It still looks nice, and would work well since the upper is #8. If the upper was a light color and you had the top of the welt still dark, eh, maybe that's not as optimal. I actually went through the trouble off stripping the coloring of the top of a welt one time. I had some 403s that had a very dark welt rather than the standard natural color. I wanted them to look more like the proper 403, so I took acetone to the top of the welt with a q-tip and pulled the color off. Then, I went and used neutral finish on them. It can be done, just depends how much effort you want to put into it!

Yes if you find a fit, stick with it! You can't do Aberdeen because of your width, correct?

Wow. That's dedication. I just really think that wingtip would look neat with a proper antique welt. The matched agatine eyelets would be sweet looking with the sole.

It would look like this when done.... Amazing I think. I'm convincing myself to try it... :p

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of 12D's during the closeout sale. I'm a big fan of loafers and I especially love the eggplant color of new #8's. Here they are with a couple of redundant pairs - one lined & one unlined. Horween stamp is a bonus in the new pair!

View attachment 1226919

View attachment 1226920

View attachment 1226921

Dude. You are winning. Those are all fantastic. The patina on the older ones is next level.

Love Copley last, much better than Aberdeen to me.
View attachment 1226924 View attachment 1226925

Looking great in your beautiful Tassels today. Hope that you had a great one and are feeling better.

Looking great in your King NSTs. Those are looking great and the exposed eyes are a nice and unexpected twist.

Natty NST Bluchers for a Tuesday morning View attachment 1226945 View attachment 1226946

Very cool first pair of NSTs today Dog. Looking great.

Alden x Leffot Natural Cxl Indy boots today!
View attachment 1226966

View attachment 1226967

Fantastic looking Natty Indy Boots! Those are looking nice and fresh.

I feel like I'm always wearing these socks with these chukkas... Don't go back through my history haha

View attachment 1226984

Killer looking summer suedes and love them Snuff Chukkas.

AoC unlined NST
View attachment 1226985

So.... natural CXL is no longer available from Alden? Is this a temporary thing or some sort of change in direction?

Looking great in your NSTs. I would be highly surprised if Alden permanently dropped Natty CXL since it is readily available from Horween.

Happy Tuesday forum pals. Today, the seldom seen 6 eyelet chukka PCT. I get the feeling I am the only person who posts these. That says something about my taste level, one way or the other.

View attachment 1227047

Awesome looking PcT Chukkas. Always such an interesting twist to only see the bottom 2/3 of the Boot.

Today is clearly NST Day on the thread. View attachment 1227059

Hah. I wore NSTs today also! Didn’t notice until you said something. You’re are looking superb!

Continuing a Natty NST theme today View attachment 1227077

Dog, your Natty Tanks are looking good and a nice combo with the olive.

Don, my man, killing it in those rad black suede loafers.

View attachment 1227140
They're good. The elastic is different than I expected. It's not front to back like a Chelsea; it's side to side connecting the two quarters in the middle. So, it allows them to expand sideways without it flexing forward when walking.

Those are looking great! Glad that they are comfortable and not awkward to walk in.

Did these jump to the top of my loafers? Survey says...yes!
View attachment 1227141

Those are growing on me. I didn’t like them much at first, but definitely growing. I like the visual interest of these having the antique edge.

Bucking the trend(s); B+M Unlined Dovers today:

View attachment 1227145

Fantastic looking Dovers! Those have a fantastic color on them and I really like them with the flat Welt.

Since they're on the same last, they should have the same overall interior shape, but I'm guessing what you're seeing is the unlined pair presents sleeker. Pretty significantly to my eye, especially at the vamp and toe.

Damn. Those are stunning brother. Better-than-new :) Glad to hear there's another option out there. Always meant to go to Aram when I was ready with one of my Alden pairs, but I think he's slammed these days (which is awesome for him I hope).

I'm (very) late to this party, but like many others, my first Alden pair was a pair of Indy boots from Alden of San Fran (which i wasn't even shopping for!) and that was sorta the end of that (for my wallet).

Wow - choosing my favorite Alden pair would be like choosing among my kids. I think @mdubs "Essential Three" posts are pretty spot on, though I riff on it a bit (as most of us would) (headings are linked to mdub's pages for reference)
Streetwear:
1 - Indy boots: I've moved from the natty CXL to a shell pair, but I added a natty CXL NST on commando that I love that's in the same vibe. But pretty much any Indy is awesome.
9YRiefz.jpg

pTBSd1h.jpg

uz66PYI.jpg
2 - Snuff Wingtip Boots: Have a pair. Love them. (also Commando)
Vy1zsC1.jpg
3 - Color #8 Longwing: Personally I don't want the 975 here with a black sole edge, so I have Alden x JCrew pair in Tobacco calf that dresses down and up very well.
1gEyztx.jpg

Business Wear:
1 - Black shell semi-brogue: I don't wear black enough to invest in that pair, but agree with it completely if I did. I sub a pair of AE plain cap-toes here that I got for $99 new when Harry Rosen had a sale.
XUfFULb.jpg

They've since been laced and worn - lol
2 - Color #8 Longwing: I was actually looking at a pair of these for my first Aldens before the Indy boots cast their spell. I eventually rescued a pair of vintage Florsheims built in 1968 that fill this spot in my closet, but the Alden is a classic and this is one of their quintessential shoes.
PEGDbmN.jpg
3 - Color #8 Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafer or Leisure Handsewn Penny Loafer: I haven't been able to dial in my size on Alden loafers successfully. Eventually I'd like to try the Orleans last as I understand it has a lot in common with Barrie (which works great for me). In the meantime, my entry here would probably be my natty shell AE Strands. In the Alden family, it would be my Snuff chukkas
W2WqOQR.jpg

They're darker and have more tone now... :)

ET6w8TQ.jpg

Exotics:
This is where I'm most-different, and of course rare shell is a bit of a catch-as-catch-can scenario.

1 - Cigar Shell Cap Toe Boots: I'd love to have a pair of Ravello cap-toes in the same build shown in the article. For me this role is filled by my Leffot #8 Naval boots. Not rare, but awesome.
PAWXMwR.jpg
I also have a pair of Choco Tankers I consider a suede-exotic that I love.
ZhdJ6rf.jpg
2 - Ravello Shell Longwing: Here my answer is the Ravello shell Wingtip boot. They're kinda sassy for business (which is 100% fine for me) and a great combo that can dress up or down. And Ravello.
Oy9ZPLi.jpg
3 - Whiskey Shell Leisure Handsewn Penny Loafer or Plain Toe Blucher: As I mentioned, I haven't had much success figuring out Alden's loafer-last sizing (yet), and guessing that will wind up meaning an unusual size (probably an E-something) which will make an exotic here really hard. I have a non-Alden Whiskey-ish shell PTB that I love, but the Alden answer here is one of my favorite pairs overall: a Ravello shell NST derby. I'm an NST junkie, do...
KcF9P3H.jpg

That kind of exercise is fun...and a little scary...

I thought hitting the "like" button was insufficient for this excellent and well thought-out post. :)

Classics! Barrie?

Nikon Brothers Unite! I'm a D700 guy - love that body with fast primes.

Yikes - I have to believe it's only temporary, but Alden does things on such a long timeline I have to guess the disruption will impact current orders and stuff as far out as the next year. Hope they can figure that out. Few things are better than natty CXL Alden...

Here's a couple of my pair:
stigZou.jpg

lva3EFw.jpg

One of my favorites...

That's a fantastic make-up...

Gonna read your earlier portions of your post later, but those Green Chukkas today are superb!

Those are beautiful shoes.

The shoes I am thinking about doing it to are these.... I was just hoping to get Alden to do it since it would be way cheaper since most cobblers bill extra for a new welt in particular, plus not necessarily new cork and the whole works.

It would just make the shoe pop a bit and make it different.
View attachment 1227173

Those are beautiful and I love my pair!

Brogue Cognac Calf NST Boots for a Tuesday evening with friends. View attachment 1227253

Looking great in your Tankers Dog!

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I have a very similar makeup coming sooner or later.

Killing it in your classic and amazing King Wings today bud.

Apologies for the really terrible picture, but this is my second pair of Aldens -- natural CXL Indy on Neocork from TSM, pre-ordered (not so) many moons ago becuase they are size EEE. These arrived faster than expected, in about four months. Quality is flawless, fit is perfect -- can't wait to wear them.
View attachment 1227320

Congratulations on your new and fantastic looking Indy Boots.

Yes if you find a fit, stick with it! You can't do Aberdeen because of your width, correct?

Wow. That's dedication. I just really think that wingtip would look neat with a proper antique welt. The matched agatine eyelets would be sweet looking with the sole.

It would look like this when done.... Amazing I think. I'm convincing myself to try it... :p

View attachment 1227377

View attachment 1227378

Those Wingtip Balmorals are just off the hook. I love them and would have bought them if I didn’t have the old Brooks pair similar to those.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
@mdubs "Essential Three" posts are pretty spot on, though I riff on it a bit (as most of us would) (headings are linked to mdub's pages for reference)
Streetwear:
1 - Indy boots: I've moved from the natty CXL to a shell pair, but I added a natty CXL NST on commando that I love that's in the same vibe. But pretty much any Indy is awesome.
9YRiefz.jpg

pTBSd1h.jpg

uz66PYI.jpg
2 - Snuff Wingtip Boots: Have a pair. Love them. (also Commando)
Vy1zsC1.jpg
3 - Color #8 Longwing: Personally I don't want the 975 here with a black sole edge, so I have Alden x JCrew pair in Tobacco calf that dresses down and up very well.
1gEyztx.jpg

Business Wear:
1 - Black shell semi-brogue: I don't wear black enough to invest in that pair, but agree with it completely if I did. I sub a pair of AE plain cap-toes here that I got for $99 new when Harry Rosen had a sale.
XUfFULb.jpg

They've since been laced and worn - lol
2 - Color #8 Longwing: I was actually looking at a pair of these for my first Aldens before the Indy boots cast their spell. I eventually rescued a pair of vintage Florsheims built in 1968 that fill this spot in my closet, but the Alden is a classic and this is one of their quintessential shoes.
PEGDbmN.jpg
3 - Color #8 Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafer or Leisure Handsewn Penny Loafer: I haven't been able to dial in my size on Alden loafers successfully. Eventually I'd like to try the Orleans last as I understand it has a lot in common with Barrie (which works great for me). In the meantime, my entry here would probably be my natty shell AE Strands. In the Alden family, it would be my Snuff chukkas
W2WqOQR.jpg

They're darker and have more tone now... :)

ET6w8TQ.jpg

Exotics:
This is where I'm most-different, and of course rare shell is a bit of a catch-as-catch-can scenario.

1 - Cigar Shell Cap Toe Boots: I'd love to have a pair of Ravello cap-toes in the same build shown in the article. For me this role is filled by my Leffot #8 Naval boots. Not rare, but awesome.
PAWXMwR.jpg
I also have a pair of Choco Tankers I consider a suede-exotic that I love.
ZhdJ6rf.jpg
2 - Ravello Shell Longwing: Here my answer is the Ravello shell Wingtip boot. They're kinda sassy for business (which is 100% fine for me) and a great combo that can dress up or down. And Ravello.
Oy9ZPLi.jpg
3 - Whiskey Shell Leisure Handsewn Penny Loafer or Plain Toe Blucher: As I mentioned, I haven't had much success figuring out Alden's loafer-last sizing (yet), and guessing that will wind up meaning an unusual size (probably an E-something) which will make an exotic here really hard. I have a non-Alden Whiskey-ish shell PTB that I love, but the Alden answer here is one of my favorite pairs overall: a Ravello shell NST derby. I'm an NST junkie, do...
KcF9P3H.jpg

That kind of exercise is fun...and a little scary...

Interesting take on the essential lists. All great and fair feedback. I understand the challenge with loafers as they are a three dimensional problem due to having no adjustment options like a laced up shoe does. They also tend to be made on Alden’s narrowest Lasts. I will say on my essential 3’s I did try and balance between Boots/Shoes/Loafers and on the exotics tried to cover the three typical color shades as I could have easily done picked 3 Ravello pairs. :)

On your Choco Suede Boot point, that reminds me that I was intending to do another entry in the series on the Essential Suede Models. The Choco Suede would be on that list or a very close honorable mention, but probably would be on it since I already have the Snuff WT Boot on the first list.

-Mike

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is seriously impressive @madhat. How difficult was it to remove the coloring from the top of the welt? Did it require multiple passes? I don't mind the effort. Just didn't think you could apply enough pressure to actually remove the coloring.
It took quite a bit of effort for the result. I used the q tip primarily to pull the color out of the threads. I had some success with the welt itself but resorted to very carefully hand spot sanding to make it more uniform. It came out pretty well, but obviously a factory job is a bit better. ;p
I just went digging and can't find a pic right now, and I sold that pair as they were a bit too narrow.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
If I'm being honest here, by far the hardest boots to put on this morning haha. It's making me rethink my over/under lacing method for boots with 9 eyelets. These things are awesome though

View attachment 1227456

Well they are looking good but yes the lacing looks like a bit of a hassle!

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads