• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leather Soul Vintage Indys, just delivered earlier today. I saw on here that they had a restock a couple months ago so I shot them an email and they had one pair left in my size. Really liking the smooth chamois.

ScarsdaleVibe

Reaction score
Is TSM the only retailer that has a color #8 perforated cap-toed boot with an antique edge and leather outsole?

Also, does this boot exist without the medallion?
AOC Color 8 Shell Cordovan Medallion Straight Tip Boot
View attachment 1223735

You'll probably want to wait around until Leffot has Naval Boots again.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always love new acquisition days. Received my AoC 9Bs from Adam today. Unfortunately probably going to be a couple more weeks before I can wear shell boots again but really excited to work these into the rotation.

View attachment 1223734 View attachment 1223736
These are stellar!

Is TSM the only retailer that has a color #8 perforated cap-toed boot with an antique edge and leather outsole?

View attachment 1223735
and so are these!

GGMac

Reaction score

View attachment 1223735
Brogue’s jumper had a 270 degree flat welt, antique, hooks, on double waterloc. Not sure if Mack intends to run again but it’s a great makeup.

B5487CE7-2C99-43D9-BE07-689305B6D98A.jpeg

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few more pics in bright light. This is after a quick wipe down, conditioning last night, and brushing this morning. 2nd pic shows the mark on the eyelet I was mentioning yesterday. Still not certain what it is but I don't think it's an issue. 3rd pic shows possibly some micro-creasing. I am not quite sure. Thoughts? Significant? Last pic is of the insole - pretty certain it's leather.

Oh yeah, I also wanted to comment on sizing. I actually find these to run basically true to size so I am going to have to disagree with everyone saying they run huge. At least this pair seems to be about the way that I'd imagine a 93605 or 93602 feel in the same 9.5E just based upon my trying a 9.5D and 10D in those two models (and for the worriers among us, I tried them without laces and without flexing the shoes. I couldnt resist today.)

View attachment 1221564

View attachment 1221565 View attachment 1221566
View attachment 1221567
You'll probably want to wait around until Leffot has Naval Boots again.
Brogue’s jumper had a 270 degree flat welt, antique, hooks, on double waterloc. Not sure if Mack intends to run again but it’s a great makeup.

View attachment 1223911

Thanks guys both those make ups are what I'm looking for.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horween chamois is literally a fat liquored nubuck. The leather used on these is the smooth side of the tobacco chamois, same as Alden of Carmel’s all terrain indy
https://www.alden-of-carmel.com/shoes-tobacco-chamois-all-terrain-indy-boot-574.htm and the same as these Vibergs

Yes, I understand the similarity, but Alden refers to oiled nubuck and smooth chamois as different leathers. The all terrain Indy leather is called smooth tobacco chamois whereas the Vintage Indy leather is called oiled nubuck. There must be some difference. Perhaps it’s a supplier thing. Alden doesn’t use exclusively Horween leather.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From doing some more reading it looks like Alden has both “oiled nubuck” and “tobacco chamois” from Horween. Maybe there isn’t any difference, after all. Guess only Alden or Horween would know. But I’ve had pairs called by both names and they have seemed different, with tobacco chamois being softer, less variegated, but more oily.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand the similarity, but Alden refers to oiled nubuck and smooth chamois as different leathers. The all terrain Indy leather is called smooth tobacco chamois whereas the Vintage Indy leather is called oiled nubuck. There must be some difference. Perhaps it’s a supplier thing. Alden doesn’t use exclusively Horween leather.

It’s the same leather. Here’s Sherman Brothers calling it Tobacco Oiled Nubuck and Tobacco Chamois in the same listing, https://www.shermanbrothers.com/alden-plain-toe-blucher-tobacco-oiled-nubuck-9431s/. Most likely retailers choose to call it oiled nubuck instead of chamois to better convey to their customers the characteristics of the leather.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s the same leather. Here’s Sherman Brothers calling it Tobacco Oiled Nubuck and Tobacco Chamois in the same listing, https://www.shermanbrothers.com/alden-plain-toe-blucher-tobacco-oiled-nubuck-9431s/. Most likely retailers choose to call it oiled nubuck instead of chamois to better convey to their customers the characteristics of the leather.

Makes sense. I’ll check with Alden to see if there is any difference beyond the naming or whether it’s just confusing marketing. Thanks for helping to clear that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics