• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plaza.

At my EE size they don't look sleek in hand with the wide lighter welt, but they do look good on foot!

They look great! Yes I am sure the EE changes the overall look of the shoe! Wide feet! :(

I believe they are Plaza, certainly feel like Plaza on the feet.

They look nice!

Got a request/favor to ask of anyone who owns both the color 8 986 and the BB unlined version. Can you post a side by side comparison as well as advice on sizing? I'm guessing they are sized the same but just want to confirm. Thanks.

I might be a bit late to the game, but they fit the same. I only currently own the 986, but at one time had both in the closet.

The unlined version feels very much like a slipper with no construction. It's almost like walking on air. Not sure if you've ever tried on unlined shell (other brands), but it's a whole different experience... in a good way.

If you're between the two, I would get the BB version.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since @Shawnc sparked my thoughts...

What are folks' thoughts on the LHS in black shell? Already have the 986, but I am interested in the black shell version, particularly the BB version.

It seems like a bit of a "sartorial anomaly" to have a black loafer (formal black, casual loafer). I know @mdubs has a pair. Been thinking about it since the BB version is on the cheap right now.

The alternative (that I've liked for a long time) is the statesman loafer in black shell on Copley. I know one of the guys has those. A bit more expensive, but fills that black loafer field and I do LOVE the design of that loafer....

Thanks!!

DocWatson

Reaction score
Since @Shawnc sparked my thoughts...

What are folks' thoughts on the LHS in black shell? Already have the 986, but I am interested in the black shell version, particularly the BB version.

It seems like a bit of a "sartorial anomaly" to have a black loafer (formal black, casual loafer). I know @mdubs has a pair. Been thinking about it since the BB version is on the cheap right now.

The alternative (that I've liked for a long time) is the statesman loafer in black shell on Copley. I know one of the guys has those. A bit more expensive, but fills that black loafer field and I do LOVE the design of that loafer....

Thanks!!

I was on the hunt for a pair of black shell unlined LHS until I sort of satisfied the need with a pair of black shell tassels. Personally, I love the look of traditionally formal shoes (i.e. shiny, black) with informal clothes, like pairing black tassels and no socks with a pair of chinos. I might be in the minority, but I love black shell (and we don't see a ton on here). On a very related note, I may or may not have just bought a pair of those black suede tassels in Unionmade's sale in celebration after going in for a full knee ACL reconstruction yesterday and them amazingly finding almost nothing wrong. I was staring at months on crutches without my Aldens and now I'm looking at 1-2 weeks...

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon gents,

I wanted to inquire what people are using for storage options nowadays. I'm looking for something that can hold a rather robust rotation.

Thank you in advance

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good afternoon gents,

I wanted to inquire what people are using for storage options nowadays. I'm looking for something that can hold a rather robust rotation.

Thank you in advance
I have my out of season items (either shoes or boots) piled in the top of my closet, with two stand alone cabinets in my room that hold 40ish pairs. They were sold as free standing pantries, but work ok for my needs. I've been considering revising things to be built in storage that holds ALL of my pairs, but it's a large/expensive remodel that I've not sold myself on yet!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was on the hunt for a pair of black shell unlined LHS until I sort of satisfied the need with a pair of black shell tassels. Personally, I love the look of traditionally formal shoes (i.e. shiny, black) with informal clothes, like pairing black tassels and no socks with a pair of chinos. I might be in the minority, but I love black shell (and we don't see a ton on here). On a very related note, I may or may not have just bought a pair of those black suede tassels in Unionmade's sale in celebration after going in for a full knee ACL reconstruction yesterday and them amazingly finding almost nothing wrong. I was staring at months on crutches without my Aldens and now I'm looking at 1-2 weeks...

I absolutely LOVE black shell tassels. So classic. That look sounds very good to me!

I really love black shell too, although not many guys here have much of it. Criminally underrated.

My hesitation with the black shell LHS is I have the full strap... Different shoes, I know :)

And then there is this baby... Similar to the full strap (already own), but it's such a fun shoe.

I should probably save my shekels and get another shoe besides a black loafer just for the sake of redundancy.

Hope you're healing well!

View attachment 1222985
Unionmade Sutter in Blue Suede

Nice looking. What last?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good afternoon gents,

Thank you in advance
I have built in storage shelving that hold about 40 pair, for the rest, I have devoted one side of the closet to stacked Woodlore shoe racks, with dress shirts hanging above. That gets MOST of the footwear, out of season or seldom worn live in the finished basement on a rack that can hold 50 pair if I put them in correctly, although it was designed for 30 pair. Oh, and I have some VERY seldom worn, or not wearing again in the foreseeable future, on a shelf at the top of the closet that requires a step ladder to retrieve them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads