• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever taken the commando heel off and replaced with a thomas heel?

I've done it on a pair of boots with a dark welt, which made the rubber sole virtually invisible. Loved it with no issues.

It might upset the balance since the commando heel is taller to match the commando sole. I've thought about cutting the lugs down front and back

I was definitely worried about this possibility. But for me, it worked out fine.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cigar longs.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a thing as too much snuff??

Paraffin wax doesn't discolor your laces or make the tongues look like that. Just rub a little on the top edges of the tongues and the undersides of the quarters and you're Silent Sam. :)
Dude, spot on with this. Initial testing of paraffin wax was a success.

20190719_181207.jpg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather forecast this morning said highs in the low 90s with a 10% chance of rain, so I picked the LHSs. Well, the 10% came though, and (as the boss is fond of saying) it's raining "like a cow pissin' on a flat rock" (and has been for the last hour). If this keeps up, I may have to order in and camp out in the office tonight...
Update: It did eventually let up, but I had to run some errands on the way home, and I got the soles and heels pretty wet. When I got home, I hung the shoes on doorknobs by the heels for a few hours, then put some trees in them and left them upside down on top of the dirty laundry basket overnight.

This morning the soles and heels were dry as a bone, but now I'm wondering if there's anything I should think about doing to them to avoid any possible damage that might have been done by getting them wet. Am I being too CDO*?

(*CDO is just like OCD, except the acronym is in alphabetical order as it should be.)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update: It did eventually let up, but I had to run some errands on the way home, and I got the soles and heels pretty wet. When I got home, I hung the shoes on doorknobs by the heels for a few hours, then put some trees in them and left them upside down on top of the dirty laundry basket overnight.

This morning the soles and heels were dry as a bone, but now I'm wondering if there's anything I should think about doing to them to avoid any possible damage that might have been done by getting them wet. Am I being too CDO*?

(*CDO is just like OCD, except the acronym is in alphabetical order as it should be.)
First, you are correct in the CDO order. Second, I doubt that any long lasting damage was done to them by getting them wet once. Now, if you were to wear them in rain and puddles every day, then yes, there would be some premature wearing out of the sole. This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think getting leather soles wet is what "damages" them, it's wearing the wet soles on rough (ie sidewalks) surfaces prior to their drying fully. I bet we all have a pair or two of leather sole something, that have been wet. Water may darken the sole a bit, but once dried, they seem pretty much as good as new.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, you are correct in the CDO order. Second, I doubt that any long lasting damage was done to them by getting them wet once. Now, if you were to wear them in rain and puddles every day, then yes, there would be some premature wearing out of the sole. This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think getting leather soles wet is what "damages" them, it's wearing the wet soles on rough (ie sidewalks) surfaces prior to their drying fully. I bet we all have a pair or two of leather sole something, that have been wet. Water may darken the sole a bit, but once dried, they seem pretty much as good as new.
I appreciate the reassurance (and the confirmation ;)) - I didn't think that getting them wet once would really damage them, but there are so many posters on this board who know so much more about shoes than I do, I figured that it couldn't hurt to throw the question out there.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a wonderful boot, but so is the Dearborn (which I have for sale BTW, just haven't posted on the Alden B/S/T page yet)
Agreed - I was lucky enough to grab the Dearborns that our esteemed colleague @Vocans was selling on the Alden B/S/T thread last month, and I love them.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I appreciate the reassurance (and the confirmation ;)) - I didn't think that getting them wet once would really damage them, but there are so many posters on this board who know so much more about shoes than I do, I figured that it couldn't hurt to throw the question out there.
I don't like wearing my leather sole shoes/boots in rain either, always check the forecast before deciding on footwear, and still sometimes get caught out, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics