• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So good to see so many boots in the summer. Alden strong !

Hummus suede - the Stronghold
AoC 105
Sasso boot - Yenni

Have a great day Alden Fam
B36943F7-B21C-4B76-9B3D-3DDA379A9776.jpeg
B63B157B-2A3C-4BBD-A890-0E506463BECD.jpeg
A1F307F2-F2F6-4BA1-AF84-721193C9B93D.jpeg

jstancato90

Reaction score
I have done exactly what you are thinking, used Neatsfoot oil and it darkened up the suede, and turned it into the texture of chamois. Here are some pix of the original boot, the stain that wouldn't go away, and the "dye" job with neatsfoot first go, I eventually did the entire boot with neatsfoot and it was very dark View attachment 1205027 View attachment 1205028 View attachment 1205029 . I have since gotten rid of these boots as I replaced them with what I originally wanted. The neatsfoot oil darkened them a lot.

Thank you for the assistance. I will hold off on oiling up my suede chukkas!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these from Leffot's pre-owned shoes. They are my first rare shell.

Model is 9882 MY. Anyone know the provenance? They were either made in 2009 or 1999.

IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

They are cigar shell (based upon Leffot's listing), but the prior owner(s) darkened (or should I say maintained the color) the front of the shoe with whatever they treated it with. The facing and heelcaps are what I would consider normal aged cigar or ravello out of the box. They are waxy and stiffer like my #8 shell boots. The vamp ahead of the throat and the toe cap are darker (cigar out of the box) and much softer. They are also not as waxy, almost like they were stripped.

The soles are a pretty worn, as are the sock liner, so I am going to send them back to Alden for a full restoration. Does anyone know if they will retreat the shell? Is there any way to rebalance the color?

The Leydon last is pretty roomy, but it's perfect lengthwise.

Thanks for any advise and info in advance.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these from Leffot's pre-owned shoes. They are my first rare shell.

Model is 9882 MY. Anyone know the provenance? They were either made in 2009 or 1999.

IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

They are cigar shell (based upon Leffot's listing), but the prior owner(s) darkened (or should I say maintained the color) the front of the shoe with whatever they treated it with. The facing and heelcaps are what I would consider normal aged cigar or ravello out of the box. They are waxy and stiffer like my #8 shell boots. The vamp ahead of the throat and the toe cap are darker (cigar out of the box) and much softer. They are also not as waxy, almost like they were stripped.

The soles are a pretty worn, as are the sock liner, so I am going to send them back to Alden for a full restoration. Does anyone know if they will retreat the shell? Is there any way to rebalance the color?

The Leydon last is pretty roomy, but it's perfect lengthwise.

Thanks for any advise and info in advance.

These are Cigar shell, made for Eduard Meier (in Germany), likely in 2009, not 1999, but I am not sure. I bought these from Leffot, but found them to be too loose on me in the heel. They are on the Leydon last (I confirmed with Alden). Alden will likely refinish the uppers fully unless you tell them not to (and they might, anyway).

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are Cigar shell, made for Eduard Meier (in Germany), likely in 2009, not 1999, but I am not sure. I bought these from Leffot, but found them to be too loose on me in the heel. They are on the Leydon last (I confirmed with Alden). Alden will likely refinish the uppers fully unless you tell them not to (and they might, anyway).

Thanks info. I have Aldens on Grant, Hampton, and Trubalance (1/2 size down). These are definitely the roomiest heel, but I can live with them. I guess your smaller heel was my saving grace.

Jason Kadushin

Reaction score
looking for a touch of sizing advice. looking at a copley lasted loafer. this and the hampton I've never tried on. I have a super narrow heel - in Van loafers I take a 12.5 A (TTS: 13C). Is the prevailing thinking to take the same width in Copley? thanks

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks info. I have Aldens on Grant, Hampton, and Trubalance (1/2 size down). These are definitely the roomiest heel, but I can live with them. I guess your smaller heel was my saving grace.
I've never heard of Leydon being described as roomy before?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of Leydon being described as roomy before?

The front is a bit narrow but these shoes have a pretty roomy heel. Possibly a result of the prior owner's cankles, or possibly just the way these are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads