• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesnyc

Reaction score
1/2 down works amazing for me, which is also my TB/Barrie size. With the lower vamp of Van, they might be quite tight on you a full size down.

Thank you for your answer. what about Aberdeen last (cordovan/calf/suede tassel loafer)? Did you choose TTS or half size down?

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. what about Aberdeen last (cordovan/calf/suede tassel loafer)? Did you choose TTS or half size down?
Same. Standard Alden sizing advice (TTS) for Aberdeen but I add an insole. Without it, I go a half down. I don’t appreciate a significant difference between calf, suede or cordovan, personally. YMMV. Always start with standard Alden sizing advice and go from there.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen people recommend both. I've only tried one Aberdeen, but I don't think it's a good match for my foot (tapered toe box, wider heel). Sterling's answer above sounds about right

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, what is the standard shoe/maintenance care for regina grain or scotch grain?
Damp wipe down and brush is all I've been doing. Does VSC make sense for a grain shoe? will Product dull the finish?

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LHS relaxing on the deck after work:

20190611_983s.jpg

(Going for that @mdubs shallow depth of field effect here...)

Alfargo

Reaction score
FYI if no one has mentioned it yet, still pages back in the thread but had to let you guys know if anyone still want the unlined cordo loafer...

cnation

Reaction score
it took me a while to find a calfskin captoe boot in a Barrie last and finally found one. I’m usually a 8d or 8e in the Barrie last, but those were for shell Cordovan shoes and this was my first calfskin shoe from Alden. For some reason my gut feeling told me to get a 8.5d. I’m so glad I did that. I just don’t see how I would fit an 8. If I actually wanted to, I probably could’ve fit a 9d. Is this normal to adjust your size between different leathers?

Attachments

• 95630EDA-B3F5-42D3-A522-A46BE36CE89C.jpeg
    95630EDA-B3F5-42D3-A522-A46BE36CE89C.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 35

jamesnyc

Reaction score
it took me a while to find a calfskin captoe boot in a Barrie last and finally found one. I’m usually a 8d or 8e in the Barrie last, but those were for shell Cordovan shoes and this was my first calfskin shoe from Alden. For some reason my gut feeling told me to get a 8.5d. I’m so glad I did that. I just don’t see how I would fit an 8. If I actually wanted to, I probably could’ve fit a 9d. Is this normal to adjust your size between different leathers?

What’s your brannock size? Wasn’t Barrie last has to half size down? Can I ask you what you wear for other Alden in barrie last?

cnation

Reaction score
What’s your brannock size? Wasn’t Barrie last has to half size down? Can I ask you what you wear for other Alden in barrie last?
I honesty forgot what my brannock size is but I wear either 8d or 8e for the Barrie last on shell shoes. I remember hearing Alden makes there shell shoes a little bit bigger because of the fact it doesn’t stretch much. So I had a feeling I should go a size half up for the regular calf leather. And I’m glad I did. So I was wondering if this is the same for others.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I honesty forgot what my brannock size is but I wear either 8d or 8e for the Barrie last on shell shoes. I remember hearing Alden makes there shell shoes a little bit bigger because of the fact it doesn’t stretch much. So I had a feeling I should go a size half up for the regular calf leather. And I’m glad I did. So I was wondering if this is the same for others.
Most don't, including myself, as broken in calf/suede fits pretty close to broken in shell. Shell doesn't stretch as much, but it does tend to mold.
I personally wonder if you wouldn't be happier in 8.5D shell, assuming it's your best feeling Barrie now?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boots in the office, oh my.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads