• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Tan calfskin boots for Wingtip Wed.

cMhCeQV.jpg

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
A question for people who have the Brogue Shop 5ZP Army Boots as well as Truebalence and/or the 379 Last:

I have Truebalence boots in a couple of leathers and the 5ZP Army Boot. Alden claims they built the Army boot on a Truebalence last, but there is no way this can possibly be true for the following reasons:

1. My size 10D Indys have a heel that is at least 0.5 inches wider than the heel in the Army Boot. Furthermore the Army Boot appears much tighter around the ankle than the Indys, as expected for a boot with a thinner heel.

2. The Army boot is very snug around the heel. My Indy's are rather loose. No question the heel of my foot is locked into the Army boot, but roams around the Indy.

3. The instep in the Army boot is way tighter than the Indys. I don't even have to really lace the Army boot until I get to the hooks.

4. The toe area is more spacious on the Army boot (almost bulbous).

Have other people had the same experience? I think the 5ZP is actually a 379 last, because everything I describe seems like a description of the 379. If anyone has the 379 and the Brogue 5ZP, do you think this is the same last?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for people who have the Brogue Shop 5ZP Army Boots as well as Truebalence and/or the 379 Last:

I have Truebalence boots in a couple of leathers and the 5ZP Army Boot. Alden claims they built the Army boot on a Truebalence last, but there is no way this can possibly be true for the following reasons:

1. My size 10D Indys have a heel that is at least 0.5 inches wider than the heel in the Army Boot. Furthermore the Army Boot appears much tighter around the ankle than the Indys, as expected for a boot with a thinner heel.

2. The Army boot is very snug around the heel. My Indy's are rather loose. No question the heel of my foot is locked into the Army boot, but roams around the Indy.

3. The instep in the Army boot is way tighter than the Indys. I don't even have to really lace the Army boot until I get to the hooks.

4. The toe area is more spacious on the Army boot (almost bulbous).

Have other people had the same experience? I think the 5ZP is actually a 379 last, because everything I describe seems like a description of the 379. If anyone has the 379 and the Brogue 5ZP, do you think this is the same last?

I pre-ordered the black calf boot from Brogue which should be arriving soon, but I'd be doubtful if Brogue listed the wrong last on the website. I'll find out soon enough as they should be arriving soon and I have had several Indy's.

Winter Artizen

Reaction score
Thanks! I love those boots too. Yours look great.

Those loafers are the unlined cxl from The Shoe Mart.

Nice loafers. Are they the 983 or the Alpine grain version for J.Crew? I have the Alpine J.Crew version.

Also, your photos of your natural CXL wingtip boots helped inspire me to buy a pair of my own a few months ago. Love them.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BFFEDF97-4148-456C-8CA2-31565D2B30AB.jpeg
King BB Tassel w/ foxing on heel. I don’t see any Alden now on the site except full strap at full price that can be had anywhere. Enjoy the games. Twins continue to impress.. Dodger fan living in the most beautiful Sonoran Desert

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Misspoke.. Black Shell Tassels w/ the goodies still on BB at a insane price. A lot of sizes.. killer shoe for the dough. Insta cop w/ some code. Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

BTW I am moving my C&J BNIB 8.5E shell boots .. Whiskey Lindrick and Galway 2. Both double leather soles. PM if interest. No tire kickers please .. these are rare one grand boots as most Alden's Shell boots are close to now. Not looking to profit from SF members but thought I throw it out there.

Enjoy the games..

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
I pre-ordered the black calf boot from Brogue which should be arriving soon, but I'd be doubtful if Brogue listed the wrong last on the website. I'll find out soon enough as they should be arriving soon and I have had several Indy's.

Its an Alden issue.

They told Brogue that it is Truebalence.

But. . If you take the Last Guide on the first page of this thread seriously then it is hard to explain how the manufacturer can claim its the same last as an Indy. The sole simply is a different shape. If the Army boot is Truebalence then the last guide that displays soles is nonsense.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
Its an Alden issue.

They told Brogue that it is Truebalence.

But. . If you take the Last Guide on the first page of this thread seriously then it is hard to explain how the manufacturer can claim its the same last as an Indy. The sole simply is a different shape. If the Army boot is Truebalence then the last guide that displays soles is nonsense.

BTW. I absolutely LOVE the Army boot. Its better than an Indy on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics