• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BB #8 tassels
2BB370BA-7114-4413-B7C1-0E56E7A5B044.jpeg

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This can be tricky and I'm not sure there's a one size fits all answer but either approach could help at the expense of some other aspect of the overall fit. I have a high instep and have had reasonable success sizing up in length since my foot's steep angle of attack helps to lock my foot against the vamp to prevent sliding back and forth (but wouldn't necessarily do anything to help ameliorate excess width). If you size up in length, you may also be able to try backing the width down to a D depending on how the 9E's width feels. You can also play with sock thickness to either reduce the thickness at the pressure point or to soak up some extra space in the event you decide to size up. If you have reasonable access to one of the Alden stores that stock widths beyond Ds (DC, SF, Madison, Moulded Shoe and TSM come to mind), an in person fitting is always the best approach.

Thanks for providing him with a detailed reply, I definitely couldn't have put it better myself. I agree it's probably going to be a matter of trial and error at this point. Personally I'd probably try the length increase over the width increase but I could see either being possible. I also just wanted to mention that the staff at shoemart is very knowledgeable and responsive. I was pretty impressed. If you ever go there, the place is tiny (yes I'm talking about the new location where they moved). It's located in the middle of nowhere, in a strip mall. They have a very small overall capacity (not quite as small as the old AE Freeport outlet store, but still very small) but the back "room" or space has a couple walls primarily dedicated to Alden, and they have a back room with more inventory. I guess my point is for such a small place they definitely have a good group of people working there.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for providing him with a detailed reply, I definitely couldn't have put it better myself. I agree it's probably going to be a matter of trial and error at this point. Personally I'd probably try the length increase over the width increase but I could see either being possible. I also just wanted to mention that the staff at shoemart is very knowledgeable and responsive. I was pretty impressed. If you ever go there, the place is tiny (yes I'm talking about the new location where they moved). It's located in the middle of nowhere, in a strip mall. They have a very small overall capacity (not quite as small as the old AE Freeport outlet store, but still very small) but the back "room" or space has a couple walls primarily dedicated to Alden, and they have a back room with more inventory. I guess my point is for such a small place they definitely have a good group of people working there.
Thanks for your thoughts on sizing, Neo1 - and my interactions with Dylan at TSM gave me the same impression. In fact, the way you describe it, it sounds a lot like the place where I got my first pair of Aldens (Delmar Bootery, just outside of Albany, NY); a tiny storefront in a strip mall, but with a good selection of Aldens, and a very knowledgeable staff. As I recall, they didn't have the 994s I was looking for in stock in my size, but they fitted me in another shoe on the Barrie last and ordered the 994s, which fit perfectly when they came.

darkclassic

Reaction score
Good morning all. Another maiden voyage here. Recently scored these TSM seconds that are stamped on the insoles as a Leffot makeup but I haven't seen them before and google doesn't seem to know anything about them. TSM listed them as D6856HC on Barrie but I'm thinking they are Grant last. Really digging them. Anyone recognize this makeup?
20190422_080039.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals.

IMG_4970.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads