• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
It's your money and you should return them if it drives you crazy. With that said, they would not bother me, especially since you got them at a discount as seconds. I REALLY don't think anyone will even notice them. I know I would not have thought a thing about it had you just posted a picture. If you have to illustrate the issue to get shoe guys to say, "Oh, I see what you mean" its not a sufficiently noticeable issue to make me send them back.

Appreciate the input.

They are not seconds however, they are firsts.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the brain trust. I recently received a new pair of tankers, factory firsts. There seems to be an issue with the left boot in that the stitching is off center on the boot. It is wider to the right of the toe line, the right boot is dead on. There is also a bit of an issue with the left line of the stitching on the left boot but that is not a big deal.

I realize there are going to be some imperfections and asymmetries with a hand stitched boot, but this seems a bit out of the normal from what I have seen from other tankers posted here and other places. However, that said, these are my first tankers. So what say you Alden faithful, is this in the normal realm for tankers or should I try again with a different pair?

uIiudkc.jpg

eB35k0X.jpg
EXCHANGE! The stitching is unquestionably sloppy and will bother you forever.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Appreciate the input.

They are not seconds however, they are firsts.

Oh, my misunderstanding. I still do not think they are too off, but you are the buyer and only your opinion counts in the long run. Send them back if you will not be pleased with them in the long run.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Oh, my misunderstanding. I still do not think they are too off, but you are the buyer and only your opinion counts in the long run. Send them back if you will not be pleased with them in the long run.

Again, thanks for the input. I like the handmade nature of Alden shoes and generally don't nitpick my shoes, but this seemed a bit more off than usual to me. However it is going to cost me $40 in shipping to try another pair so I wanted to know if this was normal for the NST boots or if I might have better luck with the second pair. Appreciate all the insight from those more well versed in NST boots than I.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New to me and newly restored Ravello Unionmade Kirkwoods.

Previous owner didn’t know about cordovan care. I used two passes of Reno’mat to get the color back before sending them in.

All good now.

C9C823DD-26DB-40A6-81CC-0D7CB240158E.jpeg

5CE21591-DA6A-4C8E-AB1B-CAAC311E3081.jpeg

GGMac

Reaction score
Again, thanks for the input. I like the handmade nature of Alden shoes and generally don't nitpick my shoes, but this seemed a bit more off than usual to me. However it is going to cost me $40 in shipping to try another pair so I wanted to know if this was normal for the NST boots or if I might have better luck with the second pair. Appreciate all the insight from those more well versed in NST boots than I.
Those look like one of Adam’s makeups in the last call section. He’s always great to deal with so I’d reach out to him. At the last call price I’d probably keep but that’s something you will ultimately have to decide.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little shoe maintenance for the 6 eyelet chukkas.

IMG_4901.jpg

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My those look great! What's your routine, seems I am all over the map. Brick, Renovator, Wax. AE edge dressing because they are small for my unsteady hands.. ha
No pictures but 8 Shell WTB boot today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads