• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1A2F1A47-A0A7-4769-93F5-02E20F57D300.jpeg

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Question for the brain trust. I recently received a new pair of tankers, factory firsts. There seems to be an issue with the left boot in that the stitching is off center on the boot. It is wider to the right of the toe line, the right boot is dead on. There is also a bit of an issue with the left line of the stitching on the left boot but that is not a big deal.

I realize there are going to be some imperfections and asymmetries with a hand stitched boot, but this seems a bit out of the normal from what I have seen from other tankers posted here and other places. However, that said, these are my first tankers. So what say you Alden faithful, is this in the normal realm for tankers or should I try again with a different pair?

uIiudkc.jpg

eB35k0X.jpg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the brain trust. I recently received a new pair of tankers, factory firsts. There seems to be an issue with the left boot in that the stitching is off center on the boot. It is wider to the right of the toe line, the right boot is dead on. There is also a bit of an issue with the left line of the stitching on the left boot but that is not a big deal.

I realize there are going to be some imperfections and asymmetries with a hand stitched boot, but this seems a bit out of the normal from what I have seen from other tankers posted here and other places. However, that said, these are my first tankers. So what say you Alden faithful, is this in the normal realm for tankers or should I try again with a different pair?

uIiudkc.jpg

eB35k0X.jpg

If it was me I’d keep them. I think there’s an optical illusion happening because one of the boots is not laced.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
If it was me I’d keep them. I think there’s an optical illusion happening because one of the boots is not laced.

Thanks for the input. There is definitely a difference, but I don't want to nitpick either. This photo helps a bit, you can see there are more stitches to one side than the other of the toe stitch. The other boot has equal stitches.

34I9RAj.jpg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. There is definitely a difference, but I don't want to nitpick either. This photo helps a bit, you can see there are more stitches to one side than the other of the toe stitch. The other boot has equal stitches.

34I9RAj.jpg
Yeah I see what you mean. Exchange if it bothers you. But it wouldn’t trigger my moderate to severe ocd to the point where I’d want to hassle with an exchange personally. They’re cool boots!

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

uIiudkc.jpg

eB35k0X.jpg
I usually find a reason to keep Aldens w blemishes. But, I have returned perfect pairs because of color. That’s one of my deal breakers. 2 / 3 cigars come to mind.
It seems the stitching bothers you enough to try to exchange or return. You shouldn’t keep them if you don’t love them.

skiptomylou41k

Reaction score
These are my NST Tanker's in Earth Chamois on Trubalance last. How much space should you have in the forefoot area? I don't feel my toes touching the tip and have lateral wiggle room - just wanted to know if that was normal? I just remember trying a 1/2 size down with a plain toe Alden on a trubalance last and it was tight.

XsvYeHu.jpg

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are my NST Tanker's in Earth Chamois on Trubalance last. How much space should you have in the forefoot area? I don't feel my toes touching the tip and have lateral wiggle room - just wanted to know if that was normal? I just remember trying a 1/2 size down with a plain toe Alden on a trubalance last and it was tight.

View attachment 1162486
Sounds like your boots fit just right.
I hate and eventually sell boots that fit too tight. I learned that lesson the hard way.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

uIiudkc.jpg

eB35k0X.jpg

It's your money and you should return them if it drives you crazy. With that said, they would not bother me, especially since you got them at a discount as seconds. I REALLY don't think anyone will even notice them. I know I would not have thought a thing about it had you just posted a picture. If you have to illustrate the issue to get shoe guys to say, "Oh, I see what you mean" its not a sufficiently noticeable issue to make me send them back.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals. Some green suede in the sun/shade/sun/shade.

IMG_4900.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads