• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

macher

Reaction score
He’s talking about where the outside edge of your right foot looks like it’s spilling over the welt - kinda stretching the leather to accommodate your width.

Hi thanks for the response. I think it’s the way the pic is. Defiantly not spilling over the welt. It’s the way they are made.

Where that double stitching is on the side it’s hard there. See how it’s sort of coming over the welt compare to as you get close to the toe box.

ymc226

Reaction score
29AC2889-9C3F-468E-8742-81C33D33C70F.jpeg
D3089477-8809-4C16-9D95-2FEDCAC458BA.jpeg
AoC color 8 U tip saddle bluchers

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Quick question for those in the know. Believe it or not, even with 14 current pairs of Alden's I have never had the venerable classic indy boot. I have it in country calf with single leather sole, and in suede with commando, but not in it's classic iteration. I am considering a pair from J-Crew, what they call the 405 but is CXL on Neocork. Question is, how does the neocork compare to other Alden soles? I have the double water loc, the commando, the single leather, and now the AT. How does the neocork fit in there comfort wise? I know it will not be great for traction, but I am wondering if it is more plush and comfortable than the commando or water loc?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it an optical illusion or do the wing tip boots look less blobby than the LWBs? They're both Barrie last but somehow the boots look more sleek to me than the shoes.

I completely agree. They actually look sleek! Not sure how it's possible since it's Barrie... :)

The generally larger proportions of the boot do help to combat the generous shape of the Barrie Last.

-Mike

I think it fits along nicely. They are a great boot.

Man, stop it! Those are beautiful.

View attachment 1161300 View attachment 1161301 Inaugural wear
Ravello SWB Hanpton last single leather sole

I love those shoes. Not a style we see often and very underrated/underused in my opinion!!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quick question for those in the know. Believe it or not, even with 14 current pairs of Alden's I have never had the venerable classic indy boot. I have it in country calf with single leather sole, and in suede with commando, but not in it's classic iteration. I am considering a pair from J-Crew, what they call the 405 but is CXL on Neocork. Question is, how does the neocork compare to other Alden soles? I have the double water loc, the commando, the single leather, and now the AT. How does the neocork fit in there comfort wise? I know it will not be great for traction, but I am wondering if it is more plush and comfortable than the commando or water loc?
Personally, I find the Neocork and Waterloc to be about the same in comfort, in fact, if I didn't know which was on a particular boot, I couldn't tell from feel. You NEED a 405 or 403 as it is the quintessential Indy boot, and will serve you well for years and years. Many here will agree, but you can beat the proverbial crap out of a 403/5 and they just get better. Perhaps the best "work" boot ever made. Just my 2 cents worth. If the JCrew is a good price, grab them, although Indy's (403 and 405's) are not really a rare item and most everyone has them.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
the neocork is like 1/2 inch thick (i dont have mine handy so i cant measure) hard rubber.
i took a utility knife and made shallow cross hatch slits in mine.
there is no loss of durability or longevity to the sole (dont cut the stitching) but traction on slick surfaces is improved. it isnt going to help in mud or snow, but grip on wet pavement, tile, stone, etc is a little better. its kind of like siping on car tires

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the neocork is like 1/2 inch thick (i dont have mine handy so i cant measure) hard rubber.
i took a utility knife and made shallow cross hatch slits in mine.
there is no loss of durability or longevity to the sole (dont cut the stitching) but traction on slick surfaces is improved. it isnt going to help in mud or snow, but grip on wet pavement, tile, stone, etc is a little better. its kind of like siping on car tires
Never thought of that, what a great option. They are slippery on wet/snow/ice when "stock". You are a genius.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Personally, I find the Neocork and Waterloc to be about the same in comfort, in fact, if I didn't know which was on a particular boot, I couldn't tell from feel. You NEED a 405 or 403 as it is the quintessential Indy boot, and will serve you well for years and years. Many here will agree, but you can beat the proverbial crap out of a 403/5 and they just get better. Perhaps the best "work" boot ever made. Just my 2 cents worth. If the JCrew is a good price, grab them, although Indy's (403 and 405's) are not really a rare item and most everyone has them.

Thanks for the reply. Pretty well what I assumed. I like the look of the J Crew version with the darker welt, can get them for $400 so thinking I might need to jump on it. I just picked up some Tobacco Chamois Tankers on AT from AoC so I am set for the traction department.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Pretty well what I assumed. I like the look of the J Crew version with the darker welt, can get them for $400 so thinking I might need to jump on it. I just picked up some Tobacco Chamois Tankers on AT from AoC so I am set for the traction department.
The A/T is an awesome sole, my Indy's with A/t sole have become my winter boots as nothing seems to impact them. Snow shoveling, crappy weather and they just keep on trucking'

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20F38DF5-2C8A-4C2D-8D46-6435107D3C07.jpeg

Alden x Brooks Brothers snuff suede tassel moccasins. Funny. I have over two dozen pairs of shoes but I only want to wear about six of them lately. Well, actually just my Aldens which is less than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads