• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Yes, “Dr. Jones” is the affectionate term for the color 8 plaza Indy specifically. It’s not just a synonym for “Indy” boot.
I thought it was the handsewn cordovan on a plaza last? Both in black and color 8? I wore these today, and been thinking Dr. Jones all day, also possibly making the same mistake? Say it ain't so...

20190415_140547.jpg

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Happy tax day! Alden 9016 to start the week fresh in black shell. These shoes always make me happy!

img_20190415_072420501_hdr-jpg.1160674
img_20190415_072405436_hdr-jpg.1160675

Good Monday Morning, tax day in USA and dog to vet for shots day here. Brogue Cognac NST boots, Barrie View attachment 1160694 View attachment 1160695 on Commando.

Kicking off the week in the AoM jumper boots. Have a good one gents!
View attachment 1160718 View attachment 1160717

View attachment 1160741

Maiden voyage of the B&M WTBs on Grant.

first outing with my new 4th Avenue boots from Yenni.
I love all eyelets and pct is by far my favorite style of shoe.
would've rather had leather (or even neocork) soles because I am hard on commando edges, but overall, the shoes are awesome and I am very happy with them.

View attachment 1160761

405s in bright daylight bringing out the orange tones.

View attachment 1160770

View attachment 1160771

A new arrival, courtesy of my friends Matt @Misterg12 and Jim @jpm1 over at Ealdwine... Hunting Green Suede Atom Blucher on Plaza. Matt and Jim were a pleasure to deal with on these -- and there isn't much Hunting Green left out there now. Quite sad that Alden is discontinuing this suede. Wore them out this weekend and they are breaking in nicely.

View attachment 1160816

View attachment 1160817

View attachment 1160818

View attachment 1160819

View attachment 1160820

View attachment 1160826

View attachment 1160827

View attachment 1160828

View attachment 1160829

View attachment 1160863
Wearing the 9501’s today. Love these.

More hunting green suede.
LHS just off the truck from Yenni.

View attachment 1160865 View attachment 1160866

A classic boot for a drive in a classic car.

YPYDeHR.jpg

Alden x leffot natty cxl Dr Jones for the 100% chance of precipitation today. I love a leather sole but commando has been growing on me A LOT lately

View attachment 1160888

First wear of Brooks Brothers black cordovan full strap loafers.

View attachment 1160895

Funny you mention this. I'm wearing mine! How do they fit??

View attachment 1160929

Afternoon change, TSM cap toe boot View attachment 1160945

They fit like slippers! Near perfect for my shorter flatter R foot, tight across the vamp on my bigger L foot. But the suede is soft and forgiving. I’ll work on stretching the L shoe.

Very happy with them, should work great with brown gray and even navy trousers.

View attachment 1161026

My first pair of Alden’s from AoM ... still awesome after 5 years of rotation.

View attachment 1161044

Little change of scenery for the night. AOC tobacco chamois Indy* (update for rookie error)

View attachment 1161072

Late to the party today. Cigar for Monday

View attachment 1161130

I thought it was the handsewn cordovan on a plaza last? Both in black and color 8? I wore these today, and been thinking Dr. Jones all day, also possibly making the same mistake? Say it ain't so...

View attachment 1161180

Dang guys, just absolutely killing it out there today and representing the Army stupendously today all! So many great showings today.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Yes, “Dr. Jones” is the affectionate term for the color 8 plaza Indy specifically. It’s not just a synonym for “Indy” boot.

View attachment 1161180

As the originator of the Dr. Jones title several years back talking about my pair in Color 8, it was intended to differentiate the more casual, Trubalance based Indy Boot, from the more refined, Plaza based U-Tip Boot. I took some slack for calling my pair Indy’s and was told to come up with a better term. At the time, the Frans Boone version was the only one available and it was just in King and Ravello. Thus I would say that the term Dr. Jones is applicable to a U-Tip Boot made around the Plaza Last regardless of shade. That said, it is not intended to by synonymous with the Indy term. :)

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I've been following this forum for sometime now and have been seduced by the beauty of shell Aldens (no thanks to all the beautiful pics on this thead). I decided to roll the dice on a pair of factory seconds from the Shoemart and believe I crapped out. SNAKE EYES:confused2:.

I've heard of many other's luck when it came to seconds. Are these boots worthy of seconds with this tear a deal breaker for most? Oh well, guess I'll cough up some more dough and pay full price next time. View attachment 1160856 View attachment 1160857

Sorry to see those, that is a major defect and I would have returned them.

-Mike

smoothguyto

Reaction score
They're even better and "blue"-er in person.

Those look amazing. I really enjoy the Alden wingtip boot pattern.
Is it an optical illusion or do the wing tip boots look less blobby than the LWBs? They're both Barrie last but somehow the boots look more sleek to me than the shoes.

macher

Reaction score
You look like a 7.5E candidate. I see the signs of your small toe spilling over the welt.

Don’t know what you’re seeing but I have plenty of wiggle room in the toe area.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. No Alden today as vintage Florsheim shell came up in the rotation.

IMG_4877.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads