• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

schweezly

Reaction score
View attachment 1158828
Rode the choo choo into Chicago today to attend the Leffot trunk show. The wind velocity was outside of my tolerances, but otherwise it was a nice day. I wore my whiskey LWBs.

Once again I was treated very hospitably. It’s always nice to chat about shoes IRL. I was able to try on some models and sizes I haven’t yet tried. The 1492 that I tried in 9E was surprisingly comfortable without feeling too big.
View attachment 1158829
Maybe a little extra heel room, but not sure I’d want to go down a width and sacrifice the room for my toes. I wanted to walk out of there in those chukkas.

Another shot at the unlined LHS leads me to believe that 8D is my best size and I’ll just have to deal with the toes popping. The factory seconds pair I have in 8D must just be lasted screwy.

I also tried the tan suede NST which I’ve admired, but I’m not totally sure the style is for me. The heel being loose didn’t seem to be helped by the addition of laces.
View attachment 1158830
But it’s still a cool shoe.

Now I have to decide how the 1492 stacked up against what’s sitting in the lab right now. I also tried on a pair of Quoddy for the first time and enjoyed those, so it might be just one Alden and a pair of Quoddy or a nasty credit card bill.

Fun day.

I tried that exact pair of chukkas last week at Leffot (they’re 1/2 size small on me though at least.) They’re on my short list of shoes I’d really like.

Glad you had fun and got to try on the Quoddys too

AMD500

Reaction score
"Most versatile" in action...need a little tlc
20190411_192244.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out for some dinner with the wife and switched out for some boots. AoC makeup with added hooks.

IMG_4840.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those boots look fantastic!

Thanks!! I have never seen them posted here before. They're incredible. Couldn't stop staring at my feet! :p

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty cool inaugural makeup for Ealdwine -- I'm a big Atom guy so I might have to snag a pair. Would be my first alpine grain pair, but I love Hampton and commando...

View attachment 1158954
Wow! Those are cool. Is Hampton the typical Atom last? I think Hampton is a good fit for the pattern, but I need to see if I can make that last work for me...

It looked like they had a green suede Atom as well in the store shots posted here as well.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random Thursday night thoughts...

How many pairs of #8 is too many? I want to like black, I really do, but it's just too blah for me.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry to ask again but, if shell creases on the side of the boot/shoe does that indicate a poor fit? Serious question, sorry if it's a stupid one.
Does it FEEL like a poor fit, or are you just concerned by the aesthetics?

jjschube

Reaction score
Does it FEEL like a poor fit, or are you just concerned by the aesthetics?

Aesthetics. They happen with my plaza last shoes which are snug but, comfortable and my Barrie last boots which are roomy, but comfortable. I haven’t found any last which is 100 percent perfect and I just don’t see that as realistic goal, even for bespoke shoes. Feet change size constantly from pressure, humidity, temperature etc.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quick question, do you guys waterproof your shell shoes? like saphir invulner or tarrago nano spray.

if you do, will you do anything about the waterproofing before routine shoe care? or just go ahead and start brushing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads