• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bik2101

Reaction score
Anyone can comment on how van last fits for boots ? I don't think it's a common last for boots but saw one makeup on brogue that I'm thinking about but unsure of how to size

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monthly Steak Night at the local American Legion is tonight, so good excuse to wear the Jungle Green Suede boots. Complete with Golden Retriever hair View attachment 1145010

A Better photo than the one previously posted View attachment 1145018

I'm a sucker for green shoes and boots, and that pair of boots in particular is pushing my Green Button. Is that a Brogue makeup? Is it hunter green or a different shade?

Ok. Wife convinced me to go black cordovan Dr. Jones from Brick and Mortar today. Sean graciously helped me, and worked and with my wife to convince me to try something other than brown and color 8. It is certainly different from all my other Aldens.
Here we are together waiting for the ferry. She is wearing her Crockett and Jones Janes...
View attachment 1145023
Black shoes and boots don't get much love on SF, but I think those black shell Indys with the contrast stitching are fantastic. I'd wear the hell out of 'm!

dqm45

Reaction score
Found out earlier this week that I have a work trip to San Francisco in April. For a slack-jawed Midwesterner like myself, how long do you think they’ll let me loiter in the Alden shop? I’m penciling in a 4 hour block of time and packing a couple bologna sandwiches, just to be safe.

I have no idea how you would spend 4 hours at the store. To add some context, I visited the store last month. It was my first visit to an Alden store. I was looking for a Color 8 tanker in the TB last. They didn't have one in my size. The salesperson was friendly, and helpful in answering my questions. He put my name on a paper list (did I mention they are old school?) for their next batch.
I had a wander around their store. They have the more common styles in Color 8 and black. And several other non-shell models.
In spite of this being my first visit, I was in and out in half an hour.
I appreciated being able to view Color 8 shell first hand, but I still couldnt imagine spending more than an hour at the store.
Hope this helps.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do people find the Plaza last fits? I know they say TTS, but any comparisons to something like AE’s 65 last or other shoes?

Wondering stuff like general amounts of toe room and heel width

disclosure: I have narrow (B width), flat, low volume feet. The 65 works very well for me in my standard size.

The Plaza is every bit as good, maybe better, for me. It is shorter than the 65, and narrow in heel (good) and forefoot (could make it uncomfortable for some).

Last edited:

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how you would spend 4 hours at the store. To add some context, I visited the store last month. It was my first visit to an Alden store. I was looking for a Color 8 tanker in the TB last. They didn't have one in my size. The salesperson was friendly, and helpful in answering my questions. He put my name on a paper list (did I mention they are old school?) for their next batch.
I had a wander around their store. They have the more common styles in Color 8 and black. And several other non-shell models.
In spite of this being my first visit, I was in and out in half an hour.
I appreciated being able to view Color 8 shell first hand, but I still couldnt imagine spending more than an hour at the store.
Hope this helps.
@ELClodge It was my first - and only - visit to an Alden store, also. I think you could spend more time if you try on various shoes in various sizes. Maybe you know your size so you won’t spend much time. Maybe you want to try out some less familiar lasts. That could take some more time. I too only spent about a half hour but now I can think of all kinds of size/last combos I’d like to try. I’d spend more time next time if allowed.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok. Wife convinced me to go black cordovan Dr. Jones from Brick and Mortar today. Sean graciously helped me, and worked and with my wife to convince me to try something other than brown and color 8. It is certainly different from all my other Aldens.
Here we are together waiting for the ferry. She is wearing her Crockett and Jones Janes...
View attachment 1145023
We like your wife!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for green shoes and boots, and that pair of boots in particular is pushing my Green Button. Is that a Brogue makeup? Is it hunter green or a different shade?

Black shoes and boots don't get much love on SF, but I think those black shell Indys with the contrast stitching are fantastic. I'd wear the hell out of 'm!
Brogue Hunter Green Suede, called the "Jungle" Boot. One of my favorite suede boots.
https://www.brogueshop.com/collections/alden-boot/products/alden-x-brogue-jungle-boot
I like black boots and shoes as well, some people don't like black, but I find it goes with a lot and if one polishes them, always can look great.

schweezly

Reaction score
disclosure: I have a narrow (B width), flat, low volume feet. The 65 works very well for me in my standard size.

The Plaza is every bit as good, maybe better, for me. It is shorter than the 65, and narrow in heel (good) and forefoot (could make it uncomfortable for some).

Thanks, good to know. The 65 accommodates my left small toe that’s usually an issue on most shoes. I’m fairly low volume too, so even sizing down on the Barrie makes them still feel like clown shoes in the front to me

Profligate47

Reaction score
IMG_2529.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ELClodge It was my first - and only - visit to an Alden store, also. I think you could spend more time if you try on various shoes in various sizes. Maybe you know your size so you won’t spend much time. Maybe you want to try out some less familiar lasts. That could take some more time. I too only spent about a half hour but now I can think of all kinds of size/last combos I’d like to try. I’d spend more time next time if allowed.

Truthfully I’d be surprised if I spend more than 30 minutes in there, but I am really excited to try some narrow Barrie or trubalance options. And from a quick search on their site, it looks like they have some narrow options in some styles I’d be interested in (mainly a color 8 ptb).

Also looking forward to Unionmade, and taking any and all recommendations for SF that people can throw at me.

harveyrabbit

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am looking for recommendations for polish/cream for 405 boots. I’ve been wearing them hard and would like to bring some consistency back to the color. Thanks for your help.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am looking for recommendations for polish/cream for 405 boots. I’ve been wearing them hard and would like to bring some consistency back to the color. Thanks for your help.
I say VSC or Bick 4. Use them on darn near everything and they both work well. They won't get a mirror shine, but will moisten the leather. Of course brush them, then brush them some more.

PootyTang

Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy Aldens in LA? I think I wanna jump in with some black Indy's but I don't want to make the trip to SF just for the shoes. Who's got em in LA? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads