• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question aficionado brethren:

Does any retailer stateside offer a snuff Indy boot in the same configuration as Tassels Hong Kong?

It's a double leather sole with a 270 degree storm welt. Brown eyes and hooks.

I much prefer the storm welt to the reverse.

Reactions: DWH

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does any retailer stateside offer a snuff Indy boot in the same configuration as Tassels Hong Kong?

That would be a nice one. Double leather Indy is just so rare.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
img58278291.jpg

Found the pic, first Google hit.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I skipped working these Cigar LWBs into the regular rotation. I hate that! I don't have a fancy spreadsheet to track. I just keep my shoes on a "note" on my iphone. Every shoe gets a capital letter "I". Every year I start a new Note. That was probably it:
QX1LwTQ.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I skipped working these Cigar LWBs into the regular rotation. I hate that! I don't have a fancy spreadsheet to track. I just keep my shoes on a "note" on my iphone. Every shoe gets a capital letter "I". Every year I start a new Note. That was probably it:
QX1LwTQ.jpg
Beauties!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
QX1LwTQ.jpg
Even a note on the phone is more than I do, no spreadsheet, no notes. I just kind of decide which to wear based on how I feel and what strikes my fancy at the moment. I realize this could lead to wearing the same pair many days in a row, so if I know I wore it within the last week, I change for either something similar (leather/suede/commando sole or whatever criteria prompted my choice) or go a different route. Of course, I have been known to change footwear 2,3,4 times a day. Being retired, I can do that. I envy you guys who are organized enough to keep spreadsheets/logs/notes, but it just isn't me. Carry on.

Disco Volante

Reaction score
What shoe care methods do you use for these? I’m thinking of trying to order a reverse chamois Indy

The occasional light brushing or suede brushing. The extremely occasional neatsfoot oil. I also have a pair of Indy’s in reverse chamois and it’s a beast of a leather.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
662_03.jpg

This is an AoC boot that I picked up recently. It photographs a bit darker than it actually is. Any clue what color/brand shoe polish would work? Alden brown seems a bit too dark.
Saphir Medium Brown
Allen Edmonds Chili (a little red)
Saphir Mahogany (more red)

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Seems like a final band of rain is coming in today, so I wanted something that would handle a little moisture. Nano spray protected suede with commando soles will do just fine. Second outing for these and I had not intended on wearing them again so soon.

View attachment 1119714 View attachment 1119715

Very nice looking Suede LWBs on the Commando today. Nicely done sir!

Car needed it, boots didn’t

View attachment 1119852

Hah. They probably still enjoyed the attention looking good sir!

Those are some fancy rain boots my friend. They are looking great!

If you like that exact makeup, you should just get it. Don’t think a ton of US vendors have it explicitly like that. I believe that Alden SF does do it on a Leather outsole.

Those are looking lovely indeed!

Reverse tobacco chamois longwings on double waterlock today.

View attachment 1120023

Looking very good in your nice and rugged LWBs.

-Mike

macher

Reaction score
Good that you at least got to try on some pairs and rule out C width. You’ll just have to experiment more and of course fit the bigger foot first. Hopefully, it’s not too drastic and you won’t have to order a different size for each foot. But if you’re getting frustrated, that’s an option to consider. I often don’t lace the top boot hook myself.

I’m more convinced than ever that trying to provide helpful sizing advice over the innernets is like trying to send a haircut through the mail. You just can’t do it. But, the good news is that you should come away from getting fitted at Moulded shoe with a lot better understanding as I think they cater more toward proper fitting than sales and would trust their in person advice. I hope you have good luck there and look forward to seeing pics of whatever you find that works best for you!
I think if I went in there to take my chances and put money down on a C width without trying it first, they would’ve taken my money and ordered it. But I was there to get the right fit and walk out with a pair. So that was the pitch. I can trial order and make returns from home and not drive two hours each way.

I now understand that only the factory stores and Shoemart carry C widths (correct me if I’m wrong). In my opinion, Alden’s run long and wide. My solution is to err on the roomy side instead of the snug side and use the $3 padded insoles from CVS. They soak up volume, provide extra padding, and keep the insoles and footbed newer longer.

By the way, I would think Sherman Bros would have more last styles than Moulded as they kind of specialize in modified last, mostly.

Decided not to go to Moulded Shoe because I might as well stay local so I went to Sherman Bros yesterday. I informed the salesman that I wasn’t concerned about style but getting the right fit / last. After trying on different lasts the best fit for me is the Trubalance in a 7.5D. Even tried a 8C TB in the calfskin Indy’s and they were too long especially the balls of my feet weren’t lining up. The modified last was a weird fit. The Barrie last seemed like not as roomy in the toes as the TB. I really love how nice and roomy in the toes the TB is and the rest of my feet feel like they’re locked in.

He measured me and I’m a size dead on 8 on my left and a hair below D. My left foot a hair above 8 and a hair above D. He said that since the below and above isn’t significant to size up or down in length or width I’m pretty much a solid 8D.

The 7.5D the balls of my feet line up perfectly but a tad too roomy around the balls of feet. He suggested an insert to fill up the volume. Tried on different inserts and ended up with the thinnest one with really snuggled up the fit. I was concerned still about the lacings being to close together and he said it isn’t that abnormal and that I have skinny ankles.

I ended up ordered a pair of 404’s which are being shipped to me from the factory. Pretty good experience at Sherman Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads