• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocWatson

Reaction score
Interesting! Have you gotten any new shoes in your correct size since? If so, how do they feel?
Yes, two pairs, and they've felt a little snug to begin with and then totally perfect after a few wears (my many pairs of loafers were already the correct size, thank goodness, because I like to go sockless and for them to fit snug). I'll never go back, it's been a revelation. Funnily enough I used to sometimes get a pinch on my right pinkie toe, but it turns out that was from the shoes being too large instead of too small. When the shoe is too large, your foot slides forward to fill the extra space when you walk, and your pinkie toe can jam into the leather. Given my left foot is slightly larger than my right, it's the reason it only ever happened on the right side. It makes sense when you think about it, but at first it's counter-intuitive.

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
Yes, two pairs, and they've felt a little snug to begin with and then totally perfect after a few wears (my many pairs of loafers were already the correct size, thank goodness, because I like to go sockless and for them to fit snug). I'll never go back, it's been a revelation. Funnily enough I used to sometimes get a pinch on my right pinkie toe, but it turns out that was from the shoes being too large instead of too small. When the shoe is too large, your foot slides forward to fill the extra space when you walk, and your pinkie toe can jam into the leather. Given my left foot is slightly larger than my right, it's the reason it only ever happened on the right side. It makes sense when you think about it, but at first it's counter-intuitive.

This is fascinating. I also have the issue where my right pinkie toe pinches on most shoes. I wonder if my shoes are also too big. I like having some wiggle room with my toes though so I wonder if that is my issue.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A3798F50-6141-4DAB-80EA-C21822CEC172.jpeg Whiskey sunrise. Maiden voyage.

@sazon thanks for the laces info.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Leffot about 10 years ago. They were carrying the newly reintroduced Alfred Sargent shoes at the time and only carried them in narrow width. I found them way too tight, but there was no lace gap. I have flat feet and low volume feet. If I sized down to have a lace gap it would mean that I'd have to cut off my toes. I've been sized at Sky Valet and Alden of DC. Some lasts do not work for Alden and other makers because they are designed for higher volume feet. But, I have plenty of shoes that fit perfectly with no lace gap.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It totally blew my mind when Sean at Leffot in Chicago sized me this summer and broke it to me that I've been wearing a lot of my shoes a half size too large – he said he sees people wear Aldens at least a full size too large regularly! I know that some of us have skinny ankles (I certainly do), but even so, one of his big things was that you should have a lace gap. If you reeeeally don't, the shoes are probably too large. That might be common knowledge here, but I wish I had heard it earlier on in my Alden journey.
It took trial and error to get my sizing for Alden right, and I spent a lot of money on boots that were too large, been selling them off, but will never recoup all the funds. Learning curve. Fortunately, like you I properly sized loafers and shoes to begin with.

AJ1

Reaction score
Have a similar issue as well but think mine is more related to my flat feet, arches cave pushing toes to spread right. Finding you correct shoe size can certainly be challenging.

This is fascinating. I also have the issue where my right pinkie toe pinches on most shoes. I wonder if my shoes are also too big. I like having some wiggle room with my toes though so I wonder if that is my issue.

DocWatson

Reaction score
I was at Leffot about 10 years ago. They were carrying the newly reintroduced Alfred Sargent shoes at the time and only carried them in narrow width. I found them way too tight, but there was no lace gap. I have flat feet and low volume feet. If I sized down to have a lace gap it would mean that I'd have to cut off my toes. I've been sized at Sky Valet and Alden of DC. Some lasts do not work for Alden and other makers because they are designed for higher volume feet. But, I have plenty of shoes that fit perfectly with no lace gap.
Absolutely, we all have different feet and there are no hard and fast rules to lace gaps, comfort, etc. I'm not trying to tell anyone to wear smaller shoes, just passing along information from someone who is an expert that ended up really helping me out. The takeaway, I suppose, is that the best way to find properly-fitting shoes is to get sized by someone who knows shoes – and preferably Alden if possible.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of driving mark, but looking at the very boots I'm wearing, and darn if it isn't the same type of mark and can only be attributed to my rubber floor mats in the GTI. Seems to impact some boots more than others, or maybe I'm more aggressive driving while wearing some boots???? vs others. Anyway, good call on cause, but I think it's cosmetic, and who the heck is going to see it anyway?

Hehe I thought it might be. I have rubber floor mats in my car (aftermarket) because it really help keeps the junk/dirt/ debris there instead of ruining my nice original mats.... I guess that's what car mats are for though.

It might be the heel height of the boot forces you to change where you place your foot and the leather there is just at the right angle to get rubbed.

Either way, you're right it's cosmetic, it seems. Wouldn't be worried one bit.

lemmy127

Reaction score
It totally blew my mind when Sean at Leffot in Chicago sized me this summer and broke it to me that I've been wearing a lot of my shoes a half size too large – he said he sees people wear Aldens at least a full size too large regularly! I know that some of us have skinny ankles (I certainly do), but even so, one of his big things was that you should have a lace gap. If you reeeeally don't, the shoes are probably too large. That might be common knowledge here, but I wish I had heard it earlier on in my Alden journey.

After wearing 13D for over a decade, imagine my reaction when I find out that my left foot is 13B and my right foot is 13A. I had always assumed that everyone had heel slip and could fully splay their toes inside their shoes and boots. Really wish I would have found that out before I got in on the only rare shell order I've ever been a part of (2014 AoC ravello longwings). I had ordered 12D because the only Alden dealer in an hour radius had that size and it worked well enough.

I still don't know what my Barrie size should be... I had gotten a pair of very used 12.5A #8 saddles on eBay that felt a bit tight across the top of my left foot, but I don't know if that would be a problem with bluchers or not. I could figure it out if I ordered 4-5 different sizes of All Weather Walkers from the Alden SF store, but that seems like a dick move when I would return all of them.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, if the facings aren't designed to close (i.e. as in an oxford/balmoral) they shouldn't. I see it quite a lot though, but at the same time proper fit is difficult especially for a narrow foot, because the shoes frankly just aren't that available. So most people settle for "good enough", and that's fine. Of course a retailer will be able to size you perfectly, but for the most part if the fit doesn't cause discomfort or any issues there's really no problem.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of driving mark, but looking at the very boots I'm wearing, and darn if it isn't the same type of mark and can only be attributed to my rubber floor mats in the GTI. Seems to impact some boots more than others, or maybe I'm more aggressive driving while wearing some boots???? vs others. Anyway, good call on cause, but I think it's cosmetic, and who the heck is going to see it anyway?

Here you go
17.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go
17.jpg

Now that's dedication. I don't drive in my dress shoes (most of the time) to avoid messing up the back of them.

TimothyF

Reaction score
Hehe I thought it might be. I have rubber floor mats in my car (aftermarket) because it really help keeps the junk/dirt/ debris there instead of ruining my nice original mats.... I guess that's what car mats are for though.

It might be the heel height of the boot forces you to change where you place your foot and the leather there is just at the right angle to get rubbed.

Either way, you're right it's cosmetic, it seems. Wouldn't be worried one bit.

I’m sorry if I didn’t make it clear early. These shell shoes are brand new from Alden retailer. So floor mat would not explain the mark, right?

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry if I didn’t make it clear early. These shell shoes are brand new from Alden retailer. So floor mat would explain the mark, right?

If they're new, obviously not floor mat then.

However, that might cause that to happen as @audog has vouched for. Based on the photo it looks like a slight coloration issue. Use my advice above to solve: damp wipe, brush, VSC (spoon maybe), cordovan cream. You won't even know it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads