• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 6: Todd Shelton Gift certificate courtesy of Todd Shelton

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a $500 gift certificate Todd Shelton Gift certificate courtesy of Todd Shelton Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice upgrade!
Thank you! Really turned out well. I can't wait to get them back out. Totally changes the look of the boot.

To the shell cordovan experts here, what do you make of the whitish streak right above the heel welt of the boots I just took delivery of? I primarily want to know if it's cosmetic or a structural damage. For example I know the welting process involves using a heated metal tool around the edges, so worst case scenario is the hot iron accidentally burnt the leather there.
View attachment 1284046

View attachment 1284047

Basically, if it's cosmetic I'll just polish it over and not care. If structural, I'll contact the seller.

Looks cosmetic as @audog said. I can't tell if there's texture to it, but it just looks like a surface coloration blemish.

It almost looks like a driving mark from a car mat rubbing against it (if they're used). I would just hit it with a wet rag, brush like mad and then apply VSC with a spoon or bone. Wait to dry a day then brush again and cover with Color 8 cream and call it a success.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi friends. I just picked up some unlined chukkas in the Leydon last in a size 11.5E. The other Alden's I have are in a Barrie last in size 11.5D, which fit great. The unlined chukkas are so supple and soft that it's throwing me off in terms of fit. They seem to fit me nicely meaning no obvious heel slip and my little is right on the leather, but when I walk they feel like slippers. My big toe has about an inch of space before the welt but I hear this is expected since this last has a narrow and long toebox. I can't tell if this is just because the unlined leather has such little structure and I'm not used to how soft and flexible they are. Do other folks have thoughts on how the Leydon last is supposed to fit? Thanks.
Just as another datapoint I found 10.5D to be great in leydon and 10C to be my absolute best fit in Barrie (although I can swing 9.5D as well). It seems common for people to size up around a half size in length from Barrie to Leydon.

TimothyF

Reaction score
Looks cosmetic as @audog said. I can't tell if there's texture to it, but it just looks like a surface coloration blemish.

It almost looks like a driving mark from a car mat rubbing against it (if they're used). I would just hit it with a wet rag, brush like mad and then apply VSC with a spoon or bone. Wait to dry a day then brush again and cover with Color 8 cream and call it a success.
Thank you for your input. Being in the recessed part of the boot, it's hard to be 100% certain about texture. But it definitely feels more matte than the smoothness of the shell. Then again, the other shoe's heel doesn't have the white mark, and it also feels more textured compared to the uppers.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you! Really turned out well. I can't wait to get them back out. Totally changes the look of the boot.

Hadn't thought of driving mark, but looking at the very boots I'm wearing, and darn if it isn't the same type of mark and can only be attributed to my rubber floor mats in the GTI. Seems to impact some boots more than others, or maybe I'm more aggressive driving while wearing some boots???? vs others. Anyway, good call on cause, but I think it's cosmetic, and who the heck is going to see it anyway?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perfect! I forgot to include photos in my original post. Here you can see one photo where the front of my big toe is, and the other where my pinky toe is.
I'm no expert, but looking at the photos, it would seem your shoes are about a size too big. But, hey, if you find them comfortable, then they are the right size for you.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I was looking at Alden things on Poshmark, and thought it was a decent secondary market place until they posted this under Alden

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect! I forgot to include photos in my original post. Here you can see one photo where the front of my big toe is, and the other where my pinky toe is.
I'd generally say that it doesn't typically matter how much space you have in front of your toes as far as shoe fit is concerned. With respect to length, what's important is that the ball of your foot lines up with the widest point of the shoe, there's no general discomfort and that you aren't getting excess heel slip.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd generally say that it doesn't typically matter how much space you have in front of your toes as far as shoe fit is concerned. With respect to length, what's important is that the ball of your foot lines up with the widest point of the shoe, there's no general discomfort and that you aren't getting excess heel slip.
+1

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
The ball and widest part feels pretty good and there's no excessive heal slip. When I tried on an 11.5 D in the Van last previously (unlined loafer) I definitely noticed healslip.

DocWatson

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but looking at the photos, it would seem your shoes are about a size too big. But, hey, if you find them comfortable, then they are the right size for you.
It totally blew my mind when Sean at Leffot in Chicago sized me this summer and broke it to me that I've been wearing a lot of my shoes a half size too large – he said he sees people wear Aldens at least a full size too large regularly! I know that some of us have skinny ankles (I certainly do), but even so, one of his big things was that you should have a lace gap. If you reeeeally don't, the shoes are probably too large. That might be common knowledge here, but I wish I had heard it earlier on in my Alden journey.

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
It totally blew my mind when Sean at Leffot in Chicago sized me this summer and broke it to me that I've been wearing a lot of my shoes a half size too large – he said he sees people wear Aldens at least a full size too large regularly! I know that some of us have skinny ankles (I certainly do), but even so, one of his big things was that you should have a lace gap. If you reeeeally don't, the shoes are probably too large. That might be common knowledge here, but I wish I had heard it earlier on in my Alden journey.
Interesting! Have you gotten any new shoes in your correct size since? If so, how do they feel?

DocWatson

Reaction score
Interesting! Have you gotten any new shoes in your correct size since? If so, how do they feel?
Yes, two pairs, and they've felt a little snug to begin with and then totally perfect after a few wears (my many pairs of loafers were already the correct size, thank goodness, because I like to go sockless and for them to fit snug). I'll never go back, it's been a revelation. Funnily enough I used to sometimes get a pinch on my right pinkie toe, but it turns out that was from the shoes being too large instead of too small. When the shoe is too large, your foot slides forward to fill the extra space when you walk, and your pinkie toe can jam into the leather. Given my left foot is slightly larger than my right, it's the reason it only ever happened on the right side. It makes sense when you think about it, but at first it's counter-intuitive.

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
Yes, two pairs, and they've felt a little snug to begin with and then totally perfect after a few wears (my many pairs of loafers were already the correct size, thank goodness, because I like to go sockless and for them to fit snug). I'll never go back, it's been a revelation. Funnily enough I used to sometimes get a pinch on my right pinkie toe, but it turns out that was from the shoes being too large instead of too small. When the shoe is too large, your foot slides forward to fill the extra space when you walk, and your pinkie toe can jam into the leather. Given my left foot is slightly larger than my right, it's the reason it only ever happened on the right side. It makes sense when you think about it, but at first it's counter-intuitive.
This is fascinating. I also have the issue where my right pinkie toe pinches on most shoes. I wonder if my shoes are also too big. I like having some wiggle room with my toes though so I wonder if that is my issue.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 258 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40