• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To the shell cordovan experts here, what do you make of the whitish streak right above the heel welt of the boots I just took delivery of? I primarily want to know if it's cosmetic or a structural damage. For example I know the welting process involves using a heated metal tool around the edges, so worst case scenario is the hot iron accidentally burnt the leather there.
View attachment 1284046

View attachment 1284047

Basically, if it's cosmetic I'll just polish it over and not care. If structural, I'll contact the seller.
Cosmetic is what it looks like to me.

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
I tried 11.5E and 12E back to back and it was a toss. With the 11.5 I felt I had just slightly less room for thicker socks so I went with the 12.

The sensation you describe was present with both sizes for me.
Gotcha. That makes sense. Do you still have the sensation or are you just used to the feeling now and don't even think about it?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice upgrade!

Thank you! Really turned out well. I can't wait to get them back out. Totally changes the look of the boot.

To the shell cordovan experts here, what do you make of the whitish streak right above the heel welt of the boots I just took delivery of? I primarily want to know if it's cosmetic or a structural damage. For example I know the welting process involves using a heated metal tool around the edges, so worst case scenario is the hot iron accidentally burnt the leather there.
View attachment 1284046

View attachment 1284047

Basically, if it's cosmetic I'll just polish it over and not care. If structural, I'll contact the seller.

Looks cosmetic as @audog said. I can't tell if there's texture to it, but it just looks like a surface coloration blemish.

It almost looks like a driving mark from a car mat rubbing against it (if they're used). I would just hit it with a wet rag, brush like mad and then apply VSC with a spoon or bone. Wait to dry a day then brush again and cover with Color 8 cream and call it a success.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi friends. I just picked up some unlined chukkas in the Leydon last in a size 11.5E. The other Alden's I have are in a Barrie last in size 11.5D, which fit great. The unlined chukkas are so supple and soft that it's throwing me off in terms of fit. They seem to fit me nicely meaning no obvious heel slip and my little is right on the leather, but when I walk they feel like slippers. My big toe has about an inch of space before the welt but I hear this is expected since this last has a narrow and long toebox. I can't tell if this is just because the unlined leather has such little structure and I'm not used to how soft and flexible they are. Do other folks have thoughts on how the Leydon last is supposed to fit? Thanks.

Just as another datapoint I found 10.5D to be great in leydon and 10C to be my absolute best fit in Barrie (although I can swing 9.5D as well). It seems common for people to size up around a half size in length from Barrie to Leydon.

TimothyF

Reaction score
Looks cosmetic as @audog said. I can't tell if there's texture to it, but it just looks like a surface coloration blemish.

It almost looks like a driving mark from a car mat rubbing against it (if they're used). I would just hit it with a wet rag, brush like mad and then apply VSC with a spoon or bone. Wait to dry a day then brush again and cover with Color 8 cream and call it a success.

Thank you for your input. Being in the recessed part of the boot, it's hard to be 100% certain about texture. But it definitely feels more matte than the smoothness of the shell. Then again, the other shoe's heel doesn't have the white mark, and it also feels more textured compared to the uppers.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you! Really turned out well. I can't wait to get them back out. Totally changes the look of the boot.

Hadn't thought of driving mark, but looking at the very boots I'm wearing, and darn if it isn't the same type of mark and can only be attributed to my rubber floor mats in the GTI. Seems to impact some boots more than others, or maybe I'm more aggressive driving while wearing some boots???? vs others. Anyway, good call on cause, but I think it's cosmetic, and who the heck is going to see it anyway?

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
Totally normal now and probably my most comfortable pair of shoes!

Perfect! I forgot to include photos in my original post. Here you can see one photo where the front of my big toe is, and the other where my pinky toe is.

Attachments

• IMG_1214.jpeg
    IMG_1214.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 50

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perfect! I forgot to include photos in my original post. Here you can see one photo where the front of my big toe is, and the other where my pinky toe is.
I'm no expert, but looking at the photos, it would seem your shoes are about a size too big. But, hey, if you find them comfortable, then they are the right size for you.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I was looking at Alden things on Poshmark, and thought it was a decent secondary market place until they posted this under Alden

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd generally say that it doesn't typically matter how much space you have in front of your toes as far as shoe fit is concerned. With respect to length, what's important is that the ball of your foot lines up with the widest point of the shoe, there's no general discomfort and that you aren't getting excess heel slip.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd generally say that it doesn't typically matter how much space you have in front of your toes as far as shoe fit is concerned. With respect to length, what's important is that the ball of your foot lines up with the widest point of the shoe, there's no general discomfort and that you aren't getting excess heel slip.
+1

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
The ball and widest part feels pretty good and there's no excessive heal slip. When I tried on an 11.5 D in the Van last previously (unlined loafer) I definitely noticed healslip.

DocWatson

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but looking at the photos, it would seem your shoes are about a size too big. But, hey, if you find them comfortable, then they are the right size for you.
It totally blew my mind when Sean at Leffot in Chicago sized me this summer and broke it to me that I've been wearing a lot of my shoes a half size too large – he said he sees people wear Aldens at least a full size too large regularly! I know that some of us have skinny ankles (I certainly do), but even so, one of his big things was that you should have a lace gap. If you reeeeally don't, the shoes are probably too large. That might be common knowledge here, but I wish I had heard it earlier on in my Alden journey.

nsdkfjsdfc4r3

Reaction score
It totally blew my mind when Sean at Leffot in Chicago sized me this summer and broke it to me that I've been wearing a lot of my shoes a half size too large – he said he sees people wear Aldens at least a full size too large regularly! I know that some of us have skinny ankles (I certainly do), but even so, one of his big things was that you should have a lace gap. If you reeeeally don't, the shoes are probably too large. That might be common knowledge here, but I wish I had heard it earlier on in my Alden journey.
Interesting! Have you gotten any new shoes in your correct size since? If so, how do they feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads