• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
View attachment 1281838
My Top 5. Well, honestly, as I was inserting pics I realized my mistake and have corrected below.

Runner Up: Ravello WT Boots
These were my first rare shell, and most expensive at the time. I wasn't going to jump on these being not quite my ideal Barrie size, but they were still there after most others were gone. I jumped and am glad I did. I love ravello so much, and these would have totally been on the top of the list if they were LHS or machine stitch Indy. As is, the fact that I have to use my pen trick to keep them fitting well and that they're less than my favorite pattern keeps them out of the top 5.
View attachment 1281841

#5: Cigar PCT Boots
dat olive tone. These are an amazing shade of cigar with tons of olive poking through! Very proud to have been offered these. Plaza, leather soles. The storm welt feels a bit of a juxtaposition with the more sleek uppers, but the color just kills. Makes it very hard to say my favorite rare color isn't cigar!
View attachment 1281839

#4: #8 Atom Blutchers
Bunch of firsts here. First shell. First Alden. First purchase from @smfdoc. @JSO1 knew what he was doing! Sleek, best medallion, leather soles, Plaza last, plus the Atom's unique pattern. So many interesting lines; I end up staring at these too many times during the day.
View attachment 1281845

#3: #8 Cassill Wholecut Loafers
The nearly forgotten new love. These would sit higher if they were easier to pair daily (just feel a bit too dressy for my linens). Half down from my usual Plaza size is a dream, and oh the clean-ness of it all!
View attachment 1281842

#2: Hunting Green LHS
Really any of the suede LHSs, but I chose these over snuff because green. Van and AE's 606 are excellent loafer lasts for me and my lower vamp needs. Gotta catch em all!
View attachment 1281846

#1: #8 Medallion Toe Boots
Single leather. Plaza. Flat 270 welt. All eyelets. My favorite medallion. How could these not be #1? Honestly, I don't think I'd want them in any other color even.
View attachment 1281840

Madhat, thanks very much and a beautiful collection. Its really interesting to see everyone's choices and funny to see your narrative on your Floating Medallion King Boots. They are superb as are your others. I really love my Suede LHSes and if we weren't pivoting to the winter, my Snuff pair, which I wear a ton more than I post, probably would have made the list. Funny how the firsts always have a sentimental place in our hearts!

Burnished Tan Calfskin LHS on Leisure Sunday:

View attachment 1281867

(And boy, does that deck need sanded and painted!)

Looking very awesome today woof! The LHSes look great and the deck looks nicely patina'ed... ;-)

Terrific topic Mr Mayor. I've much to be thankful for in the Alden category. Here's my take in no particular order:

View attachment 1281906
TSM Whiskey longwings (Barrie) - My first rare shell score and still a keystone in my collection.

View attachment 1281908
DC Ravello Daytripper (Grant) - There is just SO much win in these.

View attachment 1281904
TSM Cigar Plaza WTBs - I'm grateful I was able to buy these NIB from a fellow on SF. They are still closet queens but will hit the rotation this spring.

View attachment 1281907
TO Tie Guy snuff WTB from Epaulet (Plaza) - Another NIB score on SF (thanks). My favorite snuff makeup.

View attachment 1281914
Leatherfoot Emporium Natural CXL Straight Tip Boot (Grant) - Bought these from a fellow that wore them one time, so effectively new. I'm a big fan of natural CXL and these are a favorite makeup in that leather.

View attachment 1281915
Black shell NST (Barrie) from Context ( I call them my "Blackbirds") Still NIB so closet queens but had to have these. Big fan of the NST on Barrie as you will see another below. My pics of these are awful so I used the slick IG pic posted by Context.

View attachment 1281917
Unlined NST on Barrie from Adam at Alden of Carmel - My only unlined shell... fantastic shoes.

View attachment 1281918
Color 8 WTB on Grant from Brick& Mortar - NIB Ebay score. Lots to like in this makeup for me. Frequently worn in my rotation so deserving of mention.

View attachment 1281916
J Crew 405 Indy in kudu (TB) - I didn't think this post would be complete without the champions of the rotation. These have dominated my collection in terms of wear since arrival. I list them as honorable mentions only because I've come to take them for granted - perhaps that's a whole different post topic?

All of your choices are of course exquisite. Fun to see that you had nearly all boots (including runner ups) and that you really like the WT Boot pattern and the CT Boot pattern as they represented 4 of your 5! Really cool, I knew that I was going to be in the minority going with only 1 pair of boots in my favorite 5. Great choices all around and man those Cigars, lying on the side look just exquisite!

Oh Thank God someone posted an Indy. I'm compiling my top 5, and plain old Indy boots are one of the 5. I'm afraid when I post tomorrow, there may not be as much awesome shell as has been posted so far. But the criteria were "5 FAVORITE Aldens" and honestly rare shell is only a couple of mine....posting tomorrow the top 5.......

LoL Dog! No rush, I didn't want folks to feel forced to do it tonight and thought that it could be a sometime this week kind of thing! Look forward to seeing!

Visited Soldier's Memorial today (first time); what a great museum! Unfortunately I didn't get to spend enough time there today.

Color 8 plain toe boot on Commando. Does anyone else get a bit of pinky/ring toe pinch with the Barrie last?

View attachment 1281926 View attachment 1281927 View attachment 1281928

It is always great to remember those who have fallen for the things that we have and a great time of year to do that. Looking very good as you do it to!

Thoroughly enjoyed the pic's Mr. Mayor. Enjoyed reading the story behind each one even more. Thanks for sharing.

So many nice entries from my SF brothers. Calling this one out because I just love these saddles and enjoy them every time you post them. At some point, I will own these.

Appreciate the kind words Shawn!

-Mike

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh Thank God someone posted an Indy. I'm compiling my top 5, and plain old Indy boots are one of the 5. I'm afraid when I post tomorrow, there may not be as much awesome shell as has been posted so far. But the criteria were "5 FAVORITE Aldens" and honestly rare shell is only a couple of mine....posting tomorrow the top 5.......

Hanging tight for this list too. Hit us with it!

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many nice entries from my SF brothers. Calling this one out because I just love these saddles and enjoy them every time you post them. At some point, I will own these.
Thanks, Shawn - I love them, too. :)

Looking very awesome today woof! The LHSes look great and the deck looks nicely patina'ed... ;-)

-Mike
Thanks, Mike - I like your interpretation on the deck (wondering if Mrs. Woof will buy it)... :p

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Visited Soldier's Memorial today (first time); what a great museum! Unfortunately I didn't get to spend enough time there today.

Color 8 plain toe boot on Commando. Does anyone else get a bit of pinky/ring toe pinch with the Barrie last?

View attachment 1281926 View attachment 1281927 View attachment 1281928
Nice pair!
Mine do; I'd be tempted to go to 11EEE, but I worry the heel will go too sloppy. Plus signs of excess volume at vamp.
I was curious to see what you would choose, and I have the same feeling towards that specific medallion. The Atom bluchers sure do slap.
Were you expecting more suede? I was.
Madhat, thanks very much and a beautiful collection. Its really interesting to see everyone's choices and funny to see your narrative on your Floating Medallion King Boots. They are superb as are your others. I really love my Suede LHSes and if we weren't pivoting to the winter, my Snuff pair, which I wear a ton more than I post, probably would have made the list. Funny how the firsts always have a sentimental place in our hearts!
Thanks! I told Yenni more than once I think that they were my ideal Alden boot.

I knew even before I read through your list they'd all be winners! Truly a grail collection.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not with Barrie, specifically (low instep keeps me from wearing Barrie), but I've had that problem with shoes/lasts that were a smidge too short or had a too aggressive taper on the outside for my foot shape.
Are you saying that you feel the Barrie last had a low instep, not compatible with your high instep foot? Just curious.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Fab 5

color 4 ct x the shoe mart
BFA2BA7E-816C-4A7B-A064-D94D0BFD3F74.jpeg

Got them early in my alden collecting days. no one wears boots in San Diego, I wasn’t sure if I was going to wear or keep boots when I first bought them. The color, depth, and luster are all unbelievable.

ravello ptb x leffot
BFE991F0-AA54-4AA5-8159-4279916461FE.jpeg

my favorite shade of my favorite shell color. The ptb design really showcases the hide. Love the commando - antique - Barrie combo.

mahogany indy x brick + mortar
A05100A7-0863-4643-B9F0-DB9AE88A3609.jpeg

via the shoe mart factory seconds list. They have a small blemish on the side which can’t be seen when on. One of the best boots Alden’s made. I don’t mean the design, I mean this particular pair.

cigar tanker x madison
7A009E49-9DA1-41D6-B142-EBAA70B3E48E.jpeg

Lusted after the leather soul design for years. Thrilled to have gotten the call when madison got them in. Always told myself my rotation would be complete if I ever scored cigar tankers.

color 4 sw x the shoe mart
DEA2B26E-AB3F-46EA-AD76-7BE4274E679E.jpeg

My favorite pair of boots. lucky to have them. I try not to wear them every day.

30F537F6-5BCF-474F-87EF-89EEB0CCBD20.jpeg

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Fab 5

View attachment 1281942
Got them early in my alden collecting days. no one wears boots in San Diego, I wasn’t sure if I was going to wear or keep boots when I first bought them. The color, depth, and luster are all unbelievable.

ravello ptb x leffot
View attachment 1281941
my favorite shade of my favorite shell color. The ptb design really showcases the hide. Love the commando - antique - Barrie combo.

View attachment 1281940
via the shoe mart factory seconds list. They have a small blemish on the side which can’t be seen when on. One of the best boots Alden’s made. I don’t mean the design, I mean this particular pair.

cigar tanker x madison
View attachment 1281943
Lusted after the leather soul design for years. Thrilled to have gotten the call when madison got them in. Always told myself my rotation would be complete if I ever scored cigar tankers.

View attachment 1281939
My favorite pair of boots. lucky to have them. I try not to wear them every day.

View attachment 1281937

damn

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
My Fab 5

View attachment 1281942

ravello ptb x leffot
View attachment 1281941

View attachment 1281940

cigar tanker x madison
View attachment 1281943

View attachment 1281939

View attachment 1281937

Yeah, @JSO1 pretty much nailed it. Hard to say much more than that. That is a phenomenal collection of uber exotics that everyone wants. Beautiful looking collection bud and a nice narrative on each pair! I would suffer with those crappy Mahogany seconds as well.

-Mike

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Time for my favorite 5. Although I have many Aldens, I will take the route about my favorite 5 in my collection as the Mayor described.

2BC3C083-6C13-4A08-B567-D6438FC8EC8F.jpeg

First up, alligator Chesters from Allen Edmonds from 2004.

Second up, vintage shell Florsheims I obtained NOS.

59A074A9-3DCA-49E0-96D9-C4290F7970C5.jpeg

Third, Ravello U-tip boots.

9CC235D2-1402-4D62-8225-561E0E9E9235.jpeg

Fourth, Bourbon shell MacNeils.

BBE1A66F-BF1F-4F96-87F6-49623993B69D.jpeg

And number 5, whiskey Alden shell saddle NSTs.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you saying that you feel the Barrie last had a low instep, not compatible with your high instep foot? Just curious.
Aero's low instep. He was getting that folding of the vamp (parallel to foot rather than perpendicular) caused by low volume on a high volume last. I see it some too

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Time for my favorite 5. Although I have many ALden, I will take the route about my favorite 5 in my collection as the Mayor described.

View attachment 1281969

First up, alligator Chesters from Allen Edmonds from 2004.
View attachment 1281971

Second up, vintage Florsheims I modified with new edge colors and welt stitch colors.

View attachment 1281972

Third, Ravello boots.
View attachment 1281975

Bourbon shell MacNeils.

View attachment 1281976

And number 5, whiskey shell saddle NSTs.
Great stuff! My list would change a bit if all makes are included.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Fab 5

View attachment 1281942

ravello ptb x leffot
View attachment 1281941

View attachment 1281940

cigar tanker x madison
View attachment 1281943

View attachment 1281939

View attachment 1281937

/thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics