• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late to post today but I walked to breakfast this morning with the Mrs. Rugby and boots for a fall morning!

IMG_20191010_070551584_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191010_070531515_HDR.jpg

Pinehurst

Reaction score
Just got a pair of All Weather Walkers in the mail. (9.5 D, was sized in the Alden shop here in SF as a 9 E). I think they fit ok, but there is definitely a little heel slippage in the right shoe, while wearing fairly thick wool socks (Darn Tough). I remember the salesman saying something about slippage at first but I can't remember if he said a little slippage is normal, or if there should be no slippage at first. Does anyone have advice about this? The left shoe fits pretty darn good by the way.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks mate, think I will do that! (the 10D safe route that is).

Out of curiosity, did the -1 size +E look sleeker than ur TTS equivalents? The only thing I don't like about Barrie is the ...less than flattering proportions. Comfort wise its obviously a beast.

Bit worried about a Barrie shoe looking clunky.
I share your concern. For me (and this is just my taste) the flat v storm welt makes all the difference in barrie (as well as TB). These Barries are some of my more versatile shoes and to my eyes not ar all clunky.
20191003_171727.jpg

I think it's the reason of love lonwings on other people but not so much on my feet.

Did you notice what was on TV? 🤣
I did not but my curiosity is certainly piqued.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I share your concern. For me (and this is just my taste) the flat v storm welt makes all the difference in barrie (as well as TB). These Barries are some of my more versatile shoes and to my eyes not ar all clunky. View attachment 1256790
I think it's the reason of love lonwings on other people but not so much on my feet.

I did not but my curiosity is certainly piqued.
I'm the same with longwings on my feet, they look great on others, but I don't think they look good on me. Probably a mental thing, but looking down, I don't like the look on me. BTW those Barries look great!

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably the outlier but I generally prefer barrie and trubalance with split reverse, though I'll take a flat welt on plaza, grant or aberdeen any day of the week. Putting a flat welt on trubalance especially feels like putting lipstick on a pig to me. Then again, I've never understood people's love for machine stitch shell indys over handsewn either so I may just be on the fringe in general ;)

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I brought these from a fellow SF'r with the intent of using them as beaters. So far, they have been my most worn boots. Business casual and (gasp) once with a suit. JCrew cap's in a glorious shade of 8...........

View attachment 1256116View attachment 1256117View attachment 1256118

Happy Thursday gents (Friday for me 😜).
Well, regardless to how you got them, they look absolutely superb on you!

Back to able to rock denim 😂

View attachment 1256226
Looking great in your PCT Boots and your denim!

Beautiful Boots there Doggie! Very nice.

Those look fantastic on you. They have a beautiful rich eggplant color on them.

Awesome dude. Those are looking great and a fantastic choice today!

25 degrees last night makes for fall colors and thus green boots this morning. Along with pants that really need to go to the tailor.

View attachment 1256337
Superb WT Boots. A pretty unique combo with the Green Suede.

The Indy boots little brother.

View attachment 1256353
Junior is looking great. Senior would approve.

Glorious King Indy Boots. Those are pretty simple and yet exquisite.

Ravello on this gorgeous day.
View attachment 1256433
Yeah, those are just rad Matt. Top notch brother.

Burnished Tan LHSs (with a few drops of dew) this beautiful fall day:

View attachment 1256480
Beautiful Tan LHSes my friend. Looking great!

Nice afternoon Suedes bud. Those are looking great!

#8 Indy lookalikes on the 379X.
View attachment 1256669
Very nice Zippy. I actually would have never suspected anything other that TB on those. Looks lovely with the Antique.

Ahh, back to my Cigar LHSes.. missed ya!View attachment 1256684View attachment 1256685
Wow, going crazy Chippy with them lined LHSes. The Cigar is looking great on them bud!

Late to post today but I walked to breakfast this morning with the Mrs. Rugby and boots for a fall morning!

View attachment 1256706View attachment 1256707
Very nice WT Boots today and looks great with your polo shirt!

Very rad looking Saddles there Galileo. Hope they take good care of you today!

-Mike

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.