• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
faded cigar x madison

89D3AB13-7877-470C-8C63-63242DDA81C7.jpeg

143D6670-15A0-4A81-AD5C-E2C52B0830DA.jpeg

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Bumping hoping someone has done the shoe / boot combo in Barrie so I can get this pre-order in :)

I don't see much difference in sizing between boots and shoes on the Barrie, I am the same 9D in both. However I do notice a difference depending on the material of the shoe. Suede fits tighter than anything else for me. Whether it be LWBs, boots, or loafers, all my suede shoes fit the tightest. Calf is middle of the road for boots and shoes. Shell fits the largest of all three. All are still well within the bounds of a good fit, I just tend to wear thin socks with the suede and thicker with shell. The reason most accept for this is that suede is very supple so it fits the last really tight, shell is a lot more stiff so doesn't go on the last near as tight as suede, calf is middle of the road.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Indy boots little brother.

444EABAA-5B49-4460-B600-AD3AACEFA4E6.jpeg

ctmike

Reaction score
The Indy boots little brother.

View attachment 1256353

Hey all - first time long time, etc.

How are you liking these? I was actually pondering heading to TSM after work today to purchase a pair, so you post is serendipitous.

I need a pair of shoes for the winter months that have a rubber sole (probably anathema in these parts, but I cannot stand the feeling of wearing boots, so these seemed like a potential compromise). I also need a shoe that will stand up to a lot of vacation walking/still look semi-decent. I'm thinking these might be them.

I'd love to hear any feedback. Thanks!

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Hey all - first time long time, etc.

How are you liking these? I was actually pondering heading to TSM after work today to purchase a pair, so you post is serendipitous.

I need a pair of shoes for the winter months that have a rubber sole (probably anathema in these parts, but I cannot stand the feeling of wearing boots, so these seemed like a potential compromise). I also need a shoe that will stand up to a lot of vacation walking/still look semi-decent. I'm thinking these might be them.

I'd love to hear any feedback. Thanks!

No offense to any owners, but I find the TB last to be a bit clunky for shoes, works better for boots IMO.

If you want a rubber sole and all day comfort you might look into the all weather walker on crepe soul.

Or Needsupply has some shoes built on the wedge sole. The wedge is very comfortable and good for all day use.

ctmike

Reaction score
No offense to any owners, but I find the TB last to be a bit clunky for shoes, works better for boots IMO.

If you want a rubber sole and all day comfort you might look into the all weather walker on crepe soul.

Or Needsupply has some shoes built on the wedge sole. The wedge is very comfortable and good for all day use.

Thanks - I strongly considered these calf All Weather Walker Longwings on crepe. I love my other Alden Longwings, and I know how the Barrie last fits me.

I like the way they look better than the Indy shoe, yet I've heard that crepe sole can be absolutely deadly on a wet, smooth surface. I don't have any personal experience with them, though. All of my non-athletic shoes have leather soles. Would I be better served with a commando sole rather than a crepe sole? I'm considering the specific experience of walking on wet/snowy cobblestones and city streets.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks - I strongly considered these calf All Weather Walker Longwings on crepe. I love my other Alden Longwings, and I know how the Barrie last fits me.

I like the way they look better than the Indy shoe, yet I've heard that crepe sole can be absolutely deadly on a wet, smooth surface. I don't have any personal experience with them, though. All of my non-athletic shoes have leather soles. Would I be better served with a commando sole rather than a crepe sole? I'm considering the specific experience of walking on wet/snowy cobblestones and city streets.

I agree that the Indy boots are more comfortable than the Indy shoe. They have the same soles. I like commando, but have no experience with crepe, but I would bet they are far more comfortable than the Indy shoes I have.

kelpqq

Reaction score

I had the exact same shoe, but be careful, although the crepe sole is a comfortable option, it's really heavy, plus the sole wears down pretty quickly, much faster than leather and commando would. Think how faster you indy boot heel worn down, it's sort of like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads