• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is when I contracted the disease - J.Crew cxl Dovers when the 40% off code used to work semi-regularly.

B24E7A07-5D21-4D28-A2A8-D6F276ABF66E.jpeg

I wasn’t super excited when I bought them, but they’ve become my most worn pair over the past 2 years. I run them pretty hard and think the chromexcel looks even better than when new.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
403 for when the job is going to get messy and dirty, these things keep on trucking. They have been submerged in a lake, on the roof, digging a garden, mowing the lawn, doing carpentry, changing oil and so much more. No matter what I subject them to, they clean up pretty well and just keep on getting softer and more comfortable. Tonight they are going to visit a local family farm and pick sweet corn. For those who have never picked sweet corn on a farm, it is muddy, sweaty, bug infested "fun". We need to pick enough to prep it and freeze for winter, so these puppies will be on foot for the next 8 hours or so. Good times!
IMG_7759.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, wasn't planning on posting this so I didn't take a 'before' pic, but I tried something different on these whiskeys and I gotta say, they haven't looked this good in years.....

20190818_164730.jpg

I picked this battery operated buffer off of Amazon and while I understand the shell purist philosophy of brush brush brush but it sometimes conflicts with my lack of time and the fact that, in my heart of hearts, I'm just a lazy guy. I've had this gizmo for a month or so and decided that today would the day. Hit a few pairs and didn't notice much of an improvement on my 8's that didn't require product but I added a little saphir on the Whiskeys and wow, huge difference. I've added a little saphir to the whiskey's in the past and the results were nearly as dramatic. So my question to the shell lovers is whether you've tried something like this and if so, what are your impressions and if not, why?

Reaction score
My first pair of Aldens was #8 unlined loafers from Brooks in Pittsburgh, where I grew up. I didn't know what shell cordovan leather was and had never heard of Alden. I just liked the look.

The price was about $75- I am dating myself. It was the late 1970's or early 1980's. My next pairs were also from Brooks: #8 full-strap loafers and #8 tassel loafers. Shortly after I got my first real job I bought the Brooks #8 wingtips.

Eventually I learned about Alden and what shell cordovan leather was. My first pair not from Brooks was #8 NST's, and my first exotics were cigar shell Indy's from Shoemart.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@audog hasn't seen a natty CXL makeup he doesn’t “need!”

That said I can’t blame him as I think my next purchase will be Adam’s AOC 99 natty CXL NST saddle.
You are correct in that assumption, I happen to REALLY like Natty CXL, especially the Alden Natty CXL. I don't know why, as the exotics are more beautiful, but there is something about Natty..............

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@audog hasn't seen a natty CXL makeup he doesn’t “need!”

That said I can’t blame him as I think my next purchase will be Adam’s AOC 99 natty CXL NST saddle.

I have the same disease when it comes to natty CXL.

Also, I should have a pair of AOC-99 on the way within a few weeks. Ordered them back in the spring.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
403 for when the job is going to get messy and dirty, these things keep on trucking. They have been submerged in a lake, on the roof, digging a garden, mowing the lawn, doing carpentry, changing oil and so much more. No matter what I subject them to, they clean up pretty well and just keep on getting softer and more comfortable. Tonight they are going to visit a local family farm and pick sweet corn. For those who have never picked sweet corn on a farm, it is muddy, sweaty, bug infested "fun". We need to pick enough to prep it and freeze for winter, so these puppies will be on foot for the next 8 hours or so. Good times! View attachment 1226049
Yum! (The corn; I have cousins who have a farm in Central NY, and we used to go out there every summer to pick corn and have a big cookout with the extended family. Great times!)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yum! (The corn; I have cousins who have a farm in Central NY, and we used to go out there every summer to pick corn and have a big cookout with the extended family. Great times!)
Terrific Thunderstorm and almost 2 inches of rain at the farm, we all decided to pick the corn on Wednesday instead, no one wanted to wade in ankle deep mud and get soaked. But the 403's needed wearing anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads