• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the enthusiasm of this thread. I’m going to purchase a pair of Alden shoes (not boots) this fall and would appreciate anyone’s input on their favorite and/or first pair of Alden shoes and why. I recognize that’s a loaded question but suspect the gentlemen on this thread would be eager to share their thoughts. TIA.
I think for a lot of guys, their entry was the Indy boot. Mine was the 9071 black shell cap toe oxford because hey, everybody needs a good black cap toe.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the enthusiasm of this thread. I’m going to purchase a pair of Alden shoes (not boots) this fall and would appreciate anyone’s input on their favorite and/or first pair of Alden shoes and why. I recognize that’s a loaded question but suspect the gentlemen on this thread would be eager to share their thoughts. TIA.

Great post! My first pair of Aldens is also my most worn a pair of tan calf plain toe bluchers. The establishment is no longer in business but they gave me great service and introduced me into the world of Alden. That was a long time and many pairs ago.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a retailer who does Unlined Dover with a normal single sole or even a waterlock single. Not a flex welt fan so I passed on the AoM version.. probably should have ordered them as someone here is also ever popular 9D and would have loved them.. next time they call..

woofmang

Reaction score
My first pair of Aldens was the 994 (Traditional Saddle Oxford in Color 8 Cordovan); I just loved the look of that shoe, and they're still going strong 15 years later. Current favorite is probably my B+M Unlined Dover in Color 8; it's so comfortable, and I love the look of a plain toe blucher, especially in shell - all that unspoiled Color 8 goodness.

woofmang

Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've gushed about these things before, but here's my first pair:
20190405_090957.jpg

I tend to buy the less stereotypical Alden styles, but for my collection the quintessential styles are the LHS and Indy boots.

But, to make a recommendation i'd want to know your use as well as what you've got covered already

darkclassic

Reaction score
My first Aldens were a pair of Chukkas in natural chromexcel and my first Alden shoe was the 98373 longwing in natural chromexcel. I'm a big fan of CXL (still am) and about a year and a half ago wanted to see what the fuss was about with Alden. Those first couple pair made an impression... I currently have 28 Aldens in my collection. The most frequently worn pair are the J Crew 405 Indy in kudu but the most frequently worn Alden shoe I have is the natural CXL longwing from Wynn Perry.

honestpanda

Reaction score
Indy 403 $299 in size 10, 11, and 13 at Franco’s Fine Clothier.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Speaking of Indys, this makes pair #8 (or #10 if we're counting the two Indy chukkas I own too)

View attachment 1225746
Congratulations on #10, they look absolutely outstanding! Enjoy them in good health.

I've gushed about these things before, but here's my first pair:
View attachment 1225752

I tend to buy the less stereotypical Alden styles, but for my collection the quintessential styles are the LHS and Indy boots.

But, to make a recommendation i'd want to know your use as well as what you've got covered already
Great looking shoes MadHat and those are a fantastic first pair!

-Mike

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.