• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40DBF059-A308-447D-95E5-DC872D8C0F4A.jpeg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Brogue 5ZP Army boot this morning, on deck watching clouds begin to roll in.View attachment 1225327
Looking good Dog in your Jumper Boots!

My first recrafting. I purchased these used and were in need of a resole so after some conversations with Bill at Larossa, off they went. They came back a couple days ago and wow do they look incredible. I had the full works : sole, welt, cork as well as refinishing the uppers. I love how they maintained the beautiful cigar shade without over polishing. Not sure how they did it but the patina is left while looking nearly new. Bill has a true passion for what he does and comes highly recommend by me.
View attachment 1225339View attachment 1225340View attachment 1225341
They did a great job Matt, sounds like we got another good source of repairs to go to! They look fantastic and hope that you wear them in good health.

Your WT Boots are looking just superb.

Color 8 George boots from the Unionmade sale came in

View attachment 1225509
Chipper, your George Boots are looking great and have a nice shine on them.

Nice alternate Jumper Boots Dog. Looking good in Chamois now!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Did anyone pick up the unlined penny loafers after BB quit the line?
Would love to find one or two in my weird size. Chipshots photos push my button every time!
I bought a Black Shell pair but was unable to find a 10C in King.

-Mike

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone pick up the unlined penny loafers after BB quit the line?
Would love to find one or two in my weird size. Chipshots photos push my button every time!
What size are you in the LHS?

DapperDan08

Reaction score
I love the enthusiasm of this thread. I’m going to purchase a pair of Alden shoes (not boots) this fall and would appreciate anyone’s input on their favorite and/or first pair of Alden shoes and why. I recognize that’s a loaded question but suspect the gentlemen on this thread would be eager to share their thoughts. TIA.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the enthusiasm of this thread. I’m going to purchase a pair of Alden shoes (not boots) this fall and would appreciate anyone’s input on their favorite and/or first pair of Alden shoes and why. I recognize that’s a loaded question but suspect the gentlemen on this thread would be eager to share their thoughts. TIA.
My first pair were the simple 901, the perforated tip balmoral on the Hampton last, which technically isn't a balmoral. It was my first serious shoe. After that I moved to English shoes for dress shoes b/c I prefer their lasts with a suit. But, I came back for the Indy, and have since added a few more Aldens, one boot, one oxford, one slip on.

My favorite pair of Aldens are my Grant Last medallion tip #8 shell boots on double leather soles. I never expected to like double leather, but they are like walking on pillows. So preferred to commando for everything except wet weather.

All told, I have 5 pairs of Aldens, 5 pairs of Alfred Sargent, 2 pairs of Crockett & Jones, and one pair of Edward Green. If you think that's a lot of shoes, wait until you hear what some people on this thread have in their closets.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you think that's a lot of shoes, wait until you hear what some people on this thread have in their closets.
well said, but we wouldn't be here if we didn't have a "thing" for shoes/boots, would we. Wife thinks its a kind of sickness, but I remind her of her 40+ pair of Birkenstock type sandals by a variety of companies and she is silent. Although, truth be told, I own more footwear than she does :)

ironclad

Reaction score
Welcome DapperDan! You won’t find a better group of guys than the ones who make this forum the resource that it is today.

My first pair, like many here, was the classic 405 Indy boot. It’s the first Alden that caught my eye and I simply had to have a pair. I was not disappointed and still own and regularly wear them 13 years later.

My first shoe was a PTB (plain toe blucher) in Chromexcel followed shortly after by a pair in Whiskey shell cordovan.

Along the way the collection grew and shrank and grew as I was exposed to the great variety of Aldens available, nailed down my sizing through fittings and trial/error, and was able to score the occasional rare shell.

I think the primary questions for you are these:
How/when do you plan to wear your Aldens? Formal dress/work setting? Casual or hard-wearing? All weather? Your answers should point you in a certain direction.

Personally, I do not work in a traditional business environment and therefore have a generally casual dress code. As a result, I don’t own balmorals nor do they make sense for me. If I was looking for a first Alden shoe, I would go with the 990 Color 8 PTB on black soles or Color 8 LWB (long wing blucher) on antique soles. The 986 LHS (leisure hand sewn) is a popular casual loafer.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to speak to the fine points of Alden’s more formal shoes, but others on here will no doubt chime in.

Another important consideration is the size and shape of your feet. Alden has many different lasts and each fit somewhat differently. Just because you measure a 9D on a Brannock device does not necessarily mean a 9D will fit you across all different Alden lasts.

Get fit at an Alden dealer IF AT ALL POSSIBLE because it is cheaper in the long run than buying shoes online, finding they don’t fit, then trying to return them (generally retailers will not accept returns if there is visible sign of try-on) or sell them at a discount on E-bay.

Lots to digest, but the Alden game is fun, exciting, frustrating, and ever-evolving. Keep a weather eye on this forum and you’ll get more useful info than you can imagine. Keep us posted on your decision and don’t be a stranger.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.