• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first recrafting. I purchased these used and were in need of a resole so after some conversations with Bill at Larossa, off they went. They came back a couple days ago and wow do they look incredible. I had the full works : sole, welt, cork as well as refinishing the uppers. I love how they maintained the beautiful cigar shade without over polishing. Not sure how they did it but the patina is left while looking nearly new. Bill has a true passion for what he does and comes highly recommend by me.
09F7493C-F873-4FC5-9F1F-84787193BAC9.jpeg
D20E4AF4-28A2-4965-8126-D929DCBCB118.jpeg
DD68E3A8-2322-4A84-860F-51D4FFCA739B.jpeg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted over here. Wondering if you could give me your opinions. I've been wanting a reverse tobacco chamois boot, and I've narrowed it down to (1) the AOC straight tip with brass eyelets on Barrie, (2) the AOM wingtip with brass eyelets on Barrie, (3) the Gentlemen's Footwear NST tanker on Barrie, or (4) the Khakis of Carmel NST Tanker on Grant. I really like things about all of them, including the Grant last but wondering if the Grant last would work with the NST. Thoughts? Preferences?

Lastly, I could pass over them all and get the Gentlemen's Footwear snuff suede Indy with brass eyelets on commando. :bounce2: Too many good choices.
Taste is so subjective so I won't advocate one over the other but I will say that I am a huge fan of Grant for boots and I have seen an NST on Grant that looks great. Whatever you decide, not a bad choice in the bunch and good to see you back on the Alden forum.

My first recrafting. I purchased these used and were in need of a resole so after some conversations with Bill at Larossa, off they went. They came back a couple days ago and wow do they look incredible. I had the full works : sole, welt, cork as well as refinishing the uppers. I love how they maintained the beautiful cigar shade without over polishing. Not sure how they did it but the patina is left while looking nearly new. Bill has a true passion for what he does and comes highly recommend by me.
View attachment 1225339View attachment 1225340View attachment 1225341
These look incredible Matt. Never heard of Larossa but now following him on IG thanks to your post. Quick question, what was the turnaround on these?

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taste is so subjective so I won't advocate one over the other but I will say that I am a huge fan of Grant for boots and I have seen an NST on Grant that looks great. Whatever you decide, not a bad choice in the bunch and good to see you back on the Alden forum.

These look incredible Matt. Never heard of Larossa but now following him on IG thanks to your post. Quick question, what was the turnaround on these?
Thank you Shawn. Took about 5 weeks . Bill did say it was their busiest time of the year. I’d waited much longer with no regrets as well as the came out.

caffed

Reaction score
Thank you Shawn. Took about 5 weeks . Bill did say it was their busiest time of the year. I’d waited much longer with no regrets as well as the came out.
It takes 6-8 from Alden. So not bad indeed.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Shawnc ! I’ve been lurking still but not as active posting. :) I love the Grant last since I have a normal width, so I’m tempted to try those NST (one of the two mentioned). If I go with the Khakis version, I will likely swap out the eyelets for all polished brass.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had Khaki’s bookmarked for a while now but still don’t understand the premium. I see some cool make ups but shell pricing for suede? Is the service extraordinary? I understand Grant last and special makeup but is this limited selection of combinations really that special? What am I missing here?

smartbrother

Reaction score
I’ve had Khaki’s bookmarked for a while now but still don’t understand the premium. I see some cool make ups but shell pricing for suede? Is the service extraordinary? I understand Grant last and special makeup but is this limited selection of combinations really that special? What am I missing here?
They include a set of shoe trees with the purchase but I don't think that accounts for all of the premium...

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to thank those who weighed in on the round lace question I posted a few days ago. I picked up 48'' rounds from AE and put them into all my boots.

Man, it really changes the look! If you're thinking about changing them, do it!

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that markup to be honest, and that’s a bit crazy as it’s at or above Viberg at that price point. I may pass on those because of that.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my case, I emailed my favorite salesperson with an idea for a boot I wanted but hadn't seen anyone make yet, and the stars aligned 🙏🏽
If I designed a boot, I am afraid it might turn out like the car Homer Simpson's designed.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They include a set of shoe trees with the purchase but I don't think that accounts for all of the premium...
I just noticed that markup to be honest, and that’s a bit crazy as it’s at or above Viberg at that price point. I may pass on those because of that.
Maybe there’s free shipping, a shoe horn, extra laces and some shoe cream too, but even after that, it’s still kinda up there lol. I never ordered from them but there’s a couple pair I’d be interested in if they weren’t so up there and with more reasonable alternatives available elsewhere.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe there’s free shipping, a shoe horn, extra laces and some shoe cream too, but even after that, it’s still kinda up there lol. I never ordered from them but there’s a couple pair I’d be interested in if they weren’t so up there and with more reasonable alternatives available elsewhere.
I completely agree.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.