1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Dec 31, 2018.

1. audog

audog Distinguished Member

My hat is off to those who search by model number. I'm not that organized :)

2. galileo

galileo Senior Member

Kudos to @JSO1

3. chipshot

chipshot Distinguished Member

Dog, I would use talcum..

4. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Distinguished Member

Still figuring out my Barrie size, but I feel like it has TONS of toe box room compared to the Aberdeen and Hampton. Not that is necessarily requires a width size down, but it has lots of room for the foot to splay out inside, it's wild.

I am trying a few different sizes, but it just feels different. The toe box seems to have more vertical space as well. Am I crazy for feeling that?

5. GGMac

GGMac Senior Member

Nope. Barrie is both wider and has more volume than Aberdeen and Hampton. That’s why most take 1/2 size down in Barrie.

6. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

I mentioned earlier today that I had just received my first Alden Long Wings. I've had them on for a couple of hours tonight. My initial impressions are very positive!

So its a beautiful shoe in a color I need. This I knew before they arrived. What I didn't know or expect is how well they fit.

This is my first Barrie last shoe, and I have been apprehensive about whether these would be a good fit for me. I have a narrow, flat foot, and the Barrie looks and is usually described as generous in volume. On paper, the Barrie should have given me problems.

But I sized down 1/2, from my 13 Brannock to 12.5, and kept my usual B width, as most everyone advised. (I am 13B in Aberdeen and Plaza). With the 12.5 B Long Wings I still have the length I need, no toe contact, but am getting a near perfect fit across the instep, where big volume shoes normally give me trouble. The lace gap is perfect, neither too wide nor too narrow. And, I am loving the snug heel pocket I get with these shoes. No play in the heels at all! So the shoes hold my heels and instep firmly, while leaving nice wiggle room for the toes. That is a formula for success and comfort!

Its always wonderful to get new, beautiful shoes, but the dialed in fit I got with this pair was an unexpected and very welcome bonus. Fit is King!

7. DWH

DWH Senior Member

I need to get my hands on a Barrie in B width. Probably a 12.

8. fourdoggies

fourdoggies Senior Member

25% OFF ON ALDENS AT J.CREW WITH CODE GOFORIT. Limited Sizes.

Will likely not last for more than a few hours if past Alden "sales" are any indicator.

https://www.jcrew.com/r/search/?N=0&Nloc=en&Ntrm=alden&Nsrt=&Npge=1&Nrpp=60

Edit to add: If you sign up for the email list and get the 15% off code, that might work as well. You may need to add it first and it may not be reflected until the final checkout. I used a 25% off code I had in combination with the promotion and got the Bluchers for $311. I only wish they had more sizes of the other shoes.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I believe that troublemaker came up with that name when taking slack from the community for calling them Indy’s about 4 years ago.

-Mike

10. mdubs

The Dr. Jones to me represents the apex of Alden’s awesomeness. You can take an amazing makeup, the Indy Boot and take it to a different next level by changing a few, simple design elements.

-Mike

11. mdubs

Guys, fantastic showing around the team today. Can’t beliebe that the Zippy and DV both grabbed the 4x4 today. Hope that you all had a fantastic Wednesday.

-Mike

12. galileo

galileo Senior Member

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

If you don’t have experience with this boot, I wouldn’t offer advice. I have this boot and two other pairs of Alden for J Crew boots on Barrie and the pct boot fits noticeably different.

14. AJ1

AJ1 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing..Alpine loafers look temping

15. JSO1

JSO1 Distinguished Member

FWIW I talked to Alden about this and they assured me it’s on Barrie like any other boot. They advised that some patterns fit a little different from others, which I’ve noticed to be somewhat true (wingtips tend to feel more snug for me), but I had a pair of the jcrew pct boots and they felt no more snug than the majority of my Barrie boots. And I’ve had many.