• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's a good idea. Around the corner from me, but have never made it to the shop. Guess here's my opportunity.

Was the shell torn on your pair? That's the killer for me. I rarely use the hooks anyways, but dont think I can keep wearing them torn

Yeah hope so. Totally my fault. Trying to take them off with one hand while holding a squirmy 11 month old in the other. Lesson learned.

Soon you’ll be teaching the kid to lace them up for you instead!

Raimar

Reaction score
First time poster on this thread, since I don't have many Alden shoes. Just wanted to share this split toe modified last pair I recently thrifted (with an identical set in black) during a DC museum stroll. The toe piece replacement was very bad though.

IMG_6673.JPG IMG_6674.JPG

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First time poster on this thread, since I don't have many Alden shoes. Just wanted to share this split toe modified last pair I recently thrifted (with an identical set in black) during a DC museum stroll. The toe piece replacement was very bad though.

View attachment 1222381 View attachment 1222382
Welcome! Whether you have 1 or 50, we're always happy to see Aldens on foot!

AMD500

Reaction score
Knocking around the house today, post fishing this morning (wearing AE boots) and changed into plain, ole' Natty Indy boots. Kind of liking the Raleigh denim for weight and feel View attachment 1222332
Short of never wearing them, does anyone here know of a way to keep Natty boots looking new? I have tried VSC but..........
Oh I do embrace it, it's just that Natty looks so, well good, when new. I wish I were Bill Gates rich, I'd just wear a new pair every time :)
Embrace the patina. Natty chrome is the king of chromexcel, similar to color 8 shell. Only gets better with age.
20190812_171004.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Embrace the patina. Natty chrome is the king of chromexcel, similar to color 8 shell. Only gets better with age.
View attachment 1222397
Leave it to AMD to show some well loved boots!
I've never been a fan of the fleshy color of brand new Natty CXL, but the color on those is much more to my liking (especially the quarters)! I've only got one pair of natty, and it's a heavily burnished (the most so I could find) pair of AE HM.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1222397
OK, those look awesome. I happen to like the "fleshy" color of new Natty, but also like the well worn, patina of boots like these. Have a pair of AE Natty HM's that are about the color of the toes on your Indy's and they are unique to me, mine, no one else has a pair like them.........

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leave it to AMD to show some well loved boots!
I've never been a fan of the fleshy color of brand new Natty CXL, but the color on those is much more to my liking (especially the quarters)! I've only got one pair of natty, and it's a heavily burnished (the most so I could find) pair of AE HM.
AE HM's tend to get dark and burnished, it looks good. My original query was posted as I happen to really like the color of Alden Natty when new. But I also realize that, short of leaving them in the bags on the shelf, this color won't last for long. What about scrapes/scratches/dings? I need help with that as I tend to be "somewhat rough" on footwear.

AMD500

Reaction score
AE HM's tend to get dark and burnished, it looks good. My original query was posted as I happen to really like the color of Alden Natty when new. But I also realize that, short of leaving them in the bags on the shelf, this color won't last for long. What about scrapes/scratches/dings? I need help with that as I tend to be "somewhat rough" on footwear.
All mine see are a brush, and maybe once a year some vsc it they are looking dry. For really stubborn scrapes I use an old tshirt after the brush. Yours are looking great by the way!!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rank these plain toes

- Color 8 unlined dover, black edge
- Color 8 unlined dover, antique edge
- Color 8 classic PTB (990)
- Color 8 classic PTB on commando (990C)
- Color 8 PTB with antique edge and leather sole

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rank these plain toes

- Color 8 unlined dover, black edge
- Color 8 unlined dover, antique edge
- Color 8 classic PTB (990)
- Color 8 classic PTB on commando (990C)
- Color 8 PTB with antique edge and leather sole
Move the last to third, then occasionally flip one and two as your mood and occasion strikes.
Oh, and the former fourth, now fifth, it's ok if there's a blank space before it. I'm not a fan of commando and shoes much. ;D

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Move the last to third, then occasionally flip one and two as your mood and occasion strikes.
Oh, and the former fourth, now fifth, it's ok if there's a blank space before it. I'm not a fan of commando and shoes much. ;D
Agree, Commando on shoes doesn't make sense to me, on boots however...........far superior to Dainite for a rubber sole.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, this absolutely works for me (minus the antipathy towards commando)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads