• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have changed flat laces to round laces, how do they hold up on speedhooks?

Seriously considering changing the laces to round on my J. Crew perf tip shell boots and potentially my suede plain toe boots.

Anyone have photos of round laces on these boots? I know @Misterg12 has done the swap at least once...
My experience is they last about the same amount of time.

Of course, ymmv depending on brand, unfinished eyelet edges, etc.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience is they last about the same amount of time.

Of course, ymmv depending on brand, unfinished eyelet edges, etc.

Thanks! Not had my shoes or worn them enough times to blow out the laces.

However, I few pairs of used boots I got have worn laces and I'm thinking of swapping them out.

mr.invincible

Reaction score
The shoe mart sent an email about another batch of seconds being posted on the website today. Is it wrong that I am disappointed that there are still none in my size even though I really do not need more shoes?

Same; been waiting for the past two drops but nothing new for me :(
Really want penny loafers!

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Later in the maiden voyage (leaving my optometrist's office, where I found out that my macular degeneration has not significantly progressed since January. Yay!):

20190723_142359.jpg

(and everything is still bright and shiny...)

kentpope

Reaction score

Interesting ?

Indeed. I'm curious to see what this looks like from the side. Not optimistic it's something I'd go for personally, but it's nice to have another option I guess.

AJ1

Reaction score
Moving the Indy’s so soon! What happened?? Great make up

I've got a few grails looking for a new home. I'll let them go for retail to someone who will provide a good home. If I don't get any interest they are going on the Bay to the highest bidder.

Whiskey Indy - Dbl. Leather - Brass Eyelets - 11D - Trubalance - $1060 - worn 3 hours
Cigar WTB - Dbl. Leather - Plaza - 11.5D $960 - NIB

I'm thinking about letting a ravello & or cigar PTB go but I'm still on the fence. Let me know if those interest you.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those of you who have changed flat laces to round laces, how do they hold up on speedhooks?

Seriously considering changing the laces to round on my J. Crew perf tip shell boots and potentially my suede plain toe boots.

Anyone have photos of round laces on these boots? I know @Misterg12 has done the swap at least once...

ADD: I did see someone with a blue suede tanker that looked gorgeous a few pages back.
Can't recommend it enough. Round laces are sooo much simpler to deal with than flat. Speed hooks don't change anything.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ADD: I did see someone with a blue suede tanker that looked gorgeous a few pages back.
Round laces seem to last about as long as flat, but I must admit, I have never had a pair just "fail" either round or flat. For me, lasting as long , means when I get tired of the look and want a change :)

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QOTD:
Super subjective because clearly it comes down to current collection, current wardrobe yada yada...however gonna ask it anyway. The two are close enough in price (also posted in the Viberg forum because I'm curious for opinions)
Would you rather Alden shell (black or #8)or non shell Viberg? Or neither...(maybe you want the snuff suede Indy ;))

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
QOTD:
Super subjective because clearly it comes down to current collection, current wardrobe yada yada...however gonna ask it anyway. The two are close enough in price (also posted in the Viberg forum because I'm curious for opinions)
Would you rather Alden shell (black or #8)or non shell Viberg? Or neither...(maybe you want the snuff suede Indy ;))
Alden because I know I can find a pair that fits; I've never tried Viberg and am unsure if they cater to my feet.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QOTD:

I’d need more parameters personally.
I like both for their own strengths.
If it’s a pair of plain toe black camel service boots, definitely Viberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads