• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

jstancato90

Reaction score
I have done exactly what you are thinking, used Neatsfoot oil and it darkened up the suede, and turned it into the texture of chamois. Here are some pix of the original boot, the stain that wouldn't go away, and the "dye" job with neatsfoot first go, I eventually did the entire boot with neatsfoot and it was very darkView attachment 1205027View attachment 1205028View attachment 1205029. I have since gotten rid of these boots as I replaced them with what I originally wanted. The neatsfoot oil darkened them a lot.

Thank you for the assistance. I will hold off on oiling up my suede chukkas!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these from Leffot's pre-owned shoes. They are my first rare shell.

Model is 9882 MY. Anyone know the provenance? They were either made in 2009 or 1999.

IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

They are cigar shell (based upon Leffot's listing), but the prior owner(s) darkened (or should I say maintained the color) the front of the shoe with whatever they treated it with. The facing and heelcaps are what I would consider normal aged cigar or ravello out of the box. They are waxy and stiffer like my #8 shell boots. The vamp ahead of the throat and the toe cap are darker (cigar out of the box) and much softer. They are also not as waxy, almost like they were stripped.

The soles are a pretty worn, as are the sock liner, so I am going to send them back to Alden for a full restoration. Does anyone know if they will retreat the shell? Is there any way to rebalance the color?

The Leydon last is pretty roomy, but it's perfect lengthwise.

Thanks for any advise and info in advance.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these from Leffot's pre-owned shoes. They are my first rare shell.

Model is 9882 MY. Anyone know the provenance? They were either made in 2009 or 1999.

IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

They are cigar shell (based upon Leffot's listing), but the prior owner(s) darkened (or should I say maintained the color) the front of the shoe with whatever they treated it with. The facing and heelcaps are what I would consider normal aged cigar or ravello out of the box. They are waxy and stiffer like my #8 shell boots. The vamp ahead of the throat and the toe cap are darker (cigar out of the box) and much softer. They are also not as waxy, almost like they were stripped.

The soles are a pretty worn, as are the sock liner, so I am going to send them back to Alden for a full restoration. Does anyone know if they will retreat the shell? Is there any way to rebalance the color?

The Leydon last is pretty roomy, but it's perfect lengthwise.

Thanks for any advise and info in advance.
These are Cigar shell, made for Eduard Meier (in Germany), likely in 2009, not 1999, but I am not sure. I bought these from Leffot, but found them to be too loose on me in the heel. They are on the Leydon last (I confirmed with Alden). Alden will likely refinish the uppers fully unless you tell them not to (and they might, anyway).

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are Cigar shell, made for Eduard Meier (in Germany), likely in 2009, not 1999, but I am not sure. I bought these from Leffot, but found them to be too loose on me in the heel. They are on the Leydon last (I confirmed with Alden). Alden will likely refinish the uppers fully unless you tell them not to (and they might, anyway).
Thanks info. I have Aldens on Grant, Hampton, and Trubalance (1/2 size down). These are definitely the roomiest heel, but I can live with them. I guess your smaller heel was my saving grace.

Jason Kadushin

Reaction score
looking for a touch of sizing advice. looking at a copley lasted loafer. this and the hampton I've never tried on. I have a super narrow heel - in Van loafers I take a 12.5 A (TTS: 13C). Is the prevailing thinking to take the same width in Copley? thanks

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks info. I have Aldens on Grant, Hampton, and Trubalance (1/2 size down). These are definitely the roomiest heel, but I can live with them. I guess your smaller heel was my saving grace.
I've never heard of Leydon being described as roomy before?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of Leydon being described as roomy before?
The front is a bit narrow but these shoes have a pretty roomy heel. Possibly a result of the prior owner's cankles, or possibly just the way these are.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.