• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember this. But I don’t remember how you applied the oil. I’ve since been curious about how to keep my reverse chamois from drying out and wondered if you or anyone’s tried putting the neatsfoot oil into say, a small spray pump bottle and how that might work out. I kinda want to try it but don’t want to put too much on. As an aside, and without additional treatment, my shoe trees seem to have oil spots from the original oil applied at the tannery/factory.
I was pretty low-tech when I did it, Neatsfoot oil on a cotton rag (old T-shirt) and rubbed it in, making sure I was careful around stitching. I will say, I did it early in the day before consuming anything with alcohol in it (steady hand and all....)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm really really really done buying boots. Picked these up from @schmallo15 (thanks for a great transaction). Too many boots but if I had to live with one pair of Aldens, it would be such an easy decision, JCrew cap's in a landslide......

View attachment 1205136View attachment 1205137View attachment 1205138View attachment 1205139View attachment 1205140

Couldn't pass up the chance to reaqcquire a great make at a fair price. Last pic with my AoC converted Grant cap's. Wife says they look the same. What the heck does she know.....
I don't understand the statement "really really done buying boots". And your wife is probably a wonderful woman (or you wouldn't have married her) but those do not look the same, similar maybe, but not the same.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was pretty low-tech when I did it, Neatsfoot oil on a cotton rag (old T-shirt) and rubbed it in, making sure I was careful around stitching. I will say, I did it early in the day before consuming anything with alcohol in it (steady hand and all....)
I liked the effect you achieved, especially the two toned. Practically like the new B&M makeup. My reverse chamois’s have sort of a half suede half oiled appearance/texture and I got this crazy idea to put neatsfoot oil in a spray bottle and pump a few more squirts around them. But I’m kinda chicken lol. Haven’t tried it yet, but have been thinking about it. Mean time, I noticed the shoe trees have some damp spots. Wondering if the natural oil soaks though or if the trees are helping to pull it toward the inside.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I liked the effect you achieved, especially the two toned. Practically like the new B&M makeup. My reverse chamois’s have sort of a half suede half oiled appearance/texture and I got this crazy idea to put neatsfoot oil in a spray bottle and pump a few more squirts around them. But I’m kinda chicken lol. Haven’t tried it yet, but have been thinking about it. Mean time, I noticed the shoe trees have some damp spots. Wondering if the natural oil soaks though or if the trees are helping to pull it toward the inside.
I should say that I did this only out of desperation, as the oil spot would not go away and it was the only thing I could think of to make the boots somewhat useable. I tried everything suggested here and on the shoe care thread, to no avail. The spot (which I suspect was some form of fuel oil) would't vanish or get lighter. The Neatsfoot was a last resort, and I eventually did the uppers as well, while they looked ok, they were not what I had wanted when I bought them. So I found a pair that was what I wanted and donated the treated pair to a "science experiment" being conducted by a SF member. The two tone effect was kind of nice, but .........

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should add that if you are thinking of Neatsfoot, don't spray it on as it will not be easy to control where it lands unless you mask off the part of the shoe/boot you don't want touched. Better to apply with a rag or you fingers and rub it in.

sanomnia

Reaction score
Hope somebody snags the ravello chukka in the TSM seconds drop today. Some sizes in the AF-26 in there too. Nothing for me this time.

Edit:
@JSO1 tells me that there was a Ravello daytripper in my size but, alas, I was too slow. Hope one of you gents got it!
I had got the daytripper and now am hoping the defect is not significant.. ;)

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.