• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Not a cloud in the sky had me feeling like it was a unlined snuff day

View attachment 1189997
BBUnlined today as it’s going to be warm.. View attachment 1190001
Squeak update: no that's not cocaine and yes it brushes right off. Squeak still audible but not near as loud. At this level I'm very comfortable wearing them to work. Since it's self proclaimed snuff week for me these have a few more days to be closer to squeak free. Bonus, they smell like new born baby cordovan :bounce2:

View attachment 1190083
Day 2 of snuff week. (^ also been eyeing snuff tassels for the last year or so. And shell tassels but that's another story)

View attachment 1190395
Morning all. Unlined shell dovers today

View attachment 1190426
Brown CXL chukkas for comfort after a long weekend of garage building.
View attachment 1190446
Hard wear you say? Color 8 Highs and lows

View attachment 1190485
Cap toe bluchers for a Tuesday.

View attachment 1190490
turned out to be a nice day in lower Manhattan
Monday afternoon Tobacco Smooth Chamois Perf straight View attachment 1190520 tip boot
Raining this morning so I put these Regina grain LWBs on under the suit
View attachment 1190553
Heading out for a while to meet wife and some friends for drinks. TSM suede boots on Plantation crepe sole. View attachment 1190583
LHS relaxing on the deck after work:

View attachment 1190692

(Going for that @mdubs shallow depth of field effect here...)
it took me a while to find a calfskin captoe boot in a Barrie last and finally found one. I’m usually a 8d or 8e in the Barrie last, but those were for shell Cordovan shoes and this was my first calfskin shoe from Alden. For some reason my gut feeling told me to get a 8.5d. I’m so glad I did that. I just don’t see how I would fit an 8. If I actually wanted to, I probably could’ve fit a 9d. Is this normal to adjust your size between different leathers?
Day 3 of my snuff adventure

View attachment 1190892
First wear for these bad boys - my favorite Indy makeup - J Crew kudu.

View attachment 1190899
Alden x JCrew longwings for wingtip Wednesday View attachment 1190909 View attachment 1190910
Boots in the office, oh my.

View attachment 1190945
After 3 months of sun fading these two Color 8 pairs, my “Sunrello” shoes are at the perfect color for me.

The color is somewhere between Ravello and Mocha. A nice red/brown mixture.

View attachment 1191113
View attachment 1191114
BB Tassel #8 w/ foxing on heel. Too bad they are DCed.
View attachment 1191187
Raining and more thunderstorms in forecast for this evening, heading out soon and chose Brogue Tourist boot for the job. View attachment 1191231 View attachment 1191232
View attachment 1191257
Color 8 PTB on commando sole
Grain for a rainy day.
Someone talk me out of a shell monkstrap. Or in to one...

View attachment 1191470
After last night, I felt obligated to reach for the blues...

View attachment 1191509
We are out of milk, go get me some, please she said. Tassel loafers/no socks off to store. View attachment 1191517
These made me wear them today...
gbLRXOz.jpg
More CIGAR, because I screwed it up last time. View attachment 1191728
To those interested in the slip on chukkas, the elastic is different than I imagined. Not vamp to quarters like I expected; they're stitched. View attachment 1191809
Black shell is underrated. I have 3 pairs, but no loafers.

View attachment 1191861

View attachment 1191863
Color 8 NST bluchers on double waterloc. View attachment 1191990 View attachment 1191991
Little snuff LHS for Friday

View attachment 1192067
J Crew country calf for a while this morning View attachment 1192087
Happy Friday! Ravello Indy for today.

View attachment 1192114
My chosen form to celebrate Flag Day is to go with red, white and blue. A great day to wear the 990s. The colors on the first picture are a little strange from the mercury vaper lights at the gas station. Make it a great weekend and don't forget that Sunday is Father's day.

View attachment 1192119

View attachment 1192120
Casual Friday == King Saddles:

View attachment 1192130

(relaced à la @Misterg12)
These just looked cool this morning when I saw them, ...so my planned footwear changed. View attachment 1192132
View attachment 1192169 Missed National Seersucker Day yesterday
Blue Suede Tassels via Unionmade
Snuff Indy - B&M
Went for comfort today.
View attachment 1192171
New pair to me that I recently received from one of our favorite members. Super happy with them ?
Cigar NST under the sunrise.

View attachment 1192267
What a wonderful gift from the Mrs.

Some natural NSTs!

View attachment 1192314
Little hiking today. Should buff right out with some brushing...?

View attachment 1192328
For those keeping track at home, this is six days in a row of crappy carpet with awesome shoes, aka I need a weekend asap haha. Close up of the over/under lacing I use as well

View attachment 1192481 View attachment 1192482
I know this is outside of protocol, but SF won't let me add another line to my signature. Also for sale, Country Calf Wingtip Boots, Barrie, single leather sole, 360 welt, 9 B/D. Model # D6807H. PM if interested, and again apologies for hijacking thread.
Friend and his son coming over this afternoon to go fishing, it doesn't look like it will stop raining. Was going to wear a pair of AE Caen boots, but switched to these, which I KNOW are pretty impervious to water. Last time worn was during winter, as they are the boots of choice to shovel snow. View attachment 1192602
Crew Alpine LHS single waterlock .. not flex, these are very stiff soles and I like them. Love the dark piping.. very solidly built shoe and well suited for rain. View attachment 1192747
Fishing in the rain was fun, friends son had his first fishing "trip" and caught 4 nice bluegill's and 1 small mouth bass (threw the bass back as it was small). Changed into Brogue "Dusky" boot for the evening. Something about black suede that is nice for an evening boot. View attachment 1192754 View attachment 1192755
Natty CXL Indys yesterday and AoC 105 Indy today
View attachment 1192758 View attachment 1192759

Phenomenal showing this week guys! Great new samples this week with the Shell Chukka Slippers and the Cigar PCT Boots. Great work all around guys and I loved the shallow Depth of Field pic!

-Mike

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice grains! I thought flex meant single waterlock. Not the same?
In addition to chip's comment. Flex welt is oiled, but it's oiled for flexibility. It is definitely noticeable from the standard leather and waterloc. Originally they also used a softer upper for even more shoe flex, such as lady calf, that is harder to polish. I think now you'll see it with other uppers as well with the shop specific make ups. My only experience with the build (and the Copley last) is this shoe I recently sold to reduce my numbers.
20190527_152546.jpg
20190527_152604.jpg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to chip's comment. Flex welt is oiled, but it's oiled for flexibility. It is definitely noticeable from the standard leather and waterloc. Originally they also used a softer upper for even more shoe flex, such as lady calf, that is harder to polish. I think now you'll see it with other uppers as well with the shop specific make ups. My only experience with the build (and the Copley last) is this shoe I recently sold to reduce my numbers. View attachment 1192774 View attachment 1192773
Very interesting, thank you. I had read somewhere that flex was a single waterlock and has accepted that until now. Glad to be corrected. Is there a way to tell just by looking? For instance is the flex much darker than waterlock?

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked to be added to the waitlist for the next release of the Earth Lord, and sadly, I just got word from Mari at S&S that the Earth Lord was a one-time special makeup and that they don't have any plans to re-release it. :eek:
They’ve had a larger inventory of Alden’s in the past. Their whipsnake Indy is pretty sweet.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I asked to be added to the waitlist for the next release of the Earth Lord, and sadly, I just got word from Mari at S&S that the Earth Lord was a one-time special makeup and that they don't have any plans to re-release it. :eek:
Their stock of Alden has been dwindling for a while, it seems now they only have remaining stock of things they have had for a while, nothing new in months and months. I wonder if they are giving up the Alden line.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It happens from time to time. Maybe you can get another similar boot and add the brass hardware

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a 9D, have a pair of their southern lord boots I might be willing to part with.
Appreciate the thought, but I'm a 9E in Barrie (assuming the Southern Lord is also on Barrie); 9.5E otherwise... (Missed it by that much, Chief!)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Monday. Alden Color #8 Full Strap Loafers.

View attachment 1192897

View attachment 1192898

Tuesday. Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan Indy Boots.

View attachment 1192899

View attachment 1192900

Wednesday. Alden Natural CXL LWBs.

View attachment 1192901

View attachment 1192902

Thursday. Alden x Brooks Brothers Color #8 Wingtip Balmoral.

View attachment 1192903

View attachment 1192904

Friday. Allen Edmonds Navy Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafers.

View attachment 1192905

View attachment 1192906

Happy Saturday all!

-Mike
Those whiskey shell Indy boots, mmmmmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads