• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. what about Aberdeen last (cordovan/calf/suede tassel loafer)? Did you choose TTS or half size down?
I've seen people recommend both. I've only tried one Aberdeen, but I don't think it's a good match for my foot (tapered toe box, wider heel). Sterling's answer above sounds about right

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, what is the standard shoe/maintenance care for regina grain or scotch grain?
Damp wipe down and brush is all I've been doing. Does VSC make sense for a grain shoe? will Product dull the finish?

cnation

Reaction score
it took me a while to find a calfskin captoe boot in a Barrie last and finally found one. I’m usually a 8d or 8e in the Barrie last, but those were for shell Cordovan shoes and this was my first calfskin shoe from Alden. For some reason my gut feeling told me to get a 8.5d. I’m so glad I did that. I just don’t see how I would fit an 8. If I actually wanted to, I probably could’ve fit a 9d. Is this normal to adjust your size between different leathers?

Attachments

jamesnyc

Reaction score
it took me a while to find a calfskin captoe boot in a Barrie last and finally found one. I’m usually a 8d or 8e in the Barrie last, but those were for shell Cordovan shoes and this was my first calfskin shoe from Alden. For some reason my gut feeling told me to get a 8.5d. I’m so glad I did that. I just don’t see how I would fit an 8. If I actually wanted to, I probably could’ve fit a 9d. Is this normal to adjust your size between different leathers?
What’s your brannock size? Wasn’t Barrie last has to half size down? Can I ask you what you wear for other Alden in barrie last?

cnation

Reaction score
What’s your brannock size? Wasn’t Barrie last has to half size down? Can I ask you what you wear for other Alden in barrie last?
I honesty forgot what my brannock size is but I wear either 8d or 8e for the Barrie last on shell shoes. I remember hearing Alden makes there shell shoes a little bit bigger because of the fact it doesn’t stretch much. So I had a feeling I should go a size half up for the regular calf leather. And I’m glad I did. So I was wondering if this is the same for others.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honesty forgot what my brannock size is but I wear either 8d or 8e for the Barrie last on shell shoes. I remember hearing Alden makes there shell shoes a little bit bigger because of the fact it doesn’t stretch much. So I had a feeling I should go a size half up for the regular calf leather. And I’m glad I did. So I was wondering if this is the same for others.
Most don't, including myself, as broken in calf/suede fits pretty close to broken in shell. Shell doesn't stretch as much, but it does tend to mold.
I personally wonder if you wouldn't be happier in 8.5D shell, assuming it's your best feeling Barrie now?

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots in the office, oh my.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.