1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Dec 31, 2018.

1. JSO1

JSO1 Distinguished Member

J.Crew, man. Cheap, nice, and slim. 484 cords, sadly on clearance now, but I think they come back every year (style # G7128).

2. fourdoggies

fourdoggies Senior Member

3. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Suede Tankers and Gustin Black Friday mystery jeans that came in today. Have to have them hemmed as don't like cuffing jeans and these are so freakin' long they have to be cuffed a LOT. IMG_4462.jpeg

4. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Oh and for anyone who has Brogue Terra Nova's on pre-order from last fall. They should be at Brogue next week :)

5. anaximander

anaximander New Member

Hi Aldenites,

To restore or not restore? I bought these 928s in a St Louis vintage store for about $35 a few years ago and I've gotten plenty of wear out of them, but should I shell out the $175 to have them restored by Alden?

Any other information on last etc for this model would also be much appreciated.

Cheers! IMG_20190111_155221.jpg IMG_20190111_155242.jpg IMG_20190111_155237.jpg IMG_20190111_155303.jpg IMG_20190111_155319.jpg

6. jjschube

jjschube Senior Member

Thanks for putting this together bud, I couldn’t be happier with my pair. Don’t forget to spray them!

7. Aarondb4

Aarondb4 Member

Not a bad start to the weekend!

[​IMG]

8. duff406

duff406 Senior Member

I ordered some of the mystery denim also, since I seem to have outgrown all my denim I figure it was time.... Not expecting mine till next month, so you must be lucky!

9. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Senior Member

Those are really beat to hell. Did you use a shoe horn on the heel? If the leather wasn't ripped on the heel I would say pull the trigger and repair, but that tear looks structural.

If you have the time, call Steve at Bedo's shoe repair in Falls Church, Virginia. He's the man and will accept photos from you and he can tell you if it's worth it or not and give you an estimate. If he cannot do it, it can't be done. The rest of the shoe looks good and any older AE/Alden will blow cheap dress shoes out of the water so it might be worth the cost...

Hope this helps.

10. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Senior Member

I can tell you the the shoes were made in a year that ended in 2... 2012, 2002, 1992, 1982 etc. but beyond that we have no idea. I think they're pretty old because I don't think Alden offers that model anymore; it's unique so might be worth saving.

My guess would be maybe 1992 make based on the design. That was a good year!

11. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

I’m a huge fan of that color and I was pleasantly surprised by how good they look with the whiskey Indies. However my hardline stance on stretch fabrics has prevented me from purchasing them. Someday I’ll find a pair of khaki and brown five pocket slim cords without stretch. Someday.

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    The 928 is on the Aberdeen last. I agree with others on the recraft. Once the leather starts tearing in the uppers, it means they are reaching the end of their life. I would not invest more money in them unless they are a) extremely rare or b) they have some special personal significance that a replacement pair would not have. The bottom line is that the resale potential of the shoe would not exceed the cost of the recraft. A quick review of completed sales of 928s on Ebay are mostly under $100. I think its time to find some new shoes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

13. anaximander

anaximander New Member

Thanks! That does help - I treated these as best as I could while I had them, but they were already past their prime when I picked them up. As it goes, I will keep them in the fringe rotation for the Boston cracked shoe look and pass on the rebuild.

Btw. if any of you Alden nuts out there would want these for your collection and would pay shipping, I'll let you know once I do discard them...

Thanks again!

14. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

Congrats!!!

Thank you.

@JSO1 Indys for the Win !!

15. LukeDuke

LukeDuke Active Member

Recent eBay purchase. My first black shell and first NST. Very happy with these.

18F50331-36A1-4FFF-B1D9-63EE2E9CF17A.jpeg