• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Yes, “Dr. Jones” is the affectionate term for the color 8 plaza Indy specifically. It’s not just a synonym for “Indy” boot.
I thought it was the handsewn cordovan on a plaza last? Both in black and color 8? I wore these today, and been thinking Dr. Jones all day, also possibly making the same mistake? Say it ain't so...

View attachment 1161180
As the originator of the Dr. Jones title several years back talking about my pair in Color 8, it was intended to differentiate the more casual, Trubalance based Indy Boot, from the more refined, Plaza based U-Tip Boot. I took some slack for calling my pair Indy’s and was told to come up with a better term. At the time, the Frans Boone version was the only one available and it was just in King and Ravello. Thus I would say that the term Dr. Jones is applicable to a U-Tip Boot made around the Plaza Last regardless of shade. That said, it is not intended to by synonymous with the Indy term. :)

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I've been following this forum for sometime now and have been seduced by the beauty of shell Aldens (no thanks to all the beautiful pics on this thead). I decided to roll the dice on a pair of factory seconds from the Shoemart and believe I crapped out. SNAKE EYES:confused2:.

I've heard of many other's luck when it came to seconds. Are these boots worthy of seconds with this tear a deal breaker for most? Oh well, guess I'll cough up some more dough and pay full price next time. View attachment 1160856 View attachment 1160857
Sorry to see those, that is a major defect and I would have returned them.

-Mike

smoothguyto

Reaction score
They're even better and "blue"-er in person.

Those look amazing. I really enjoy the Alden wingtip boot pattern.
Is it an optical illusion or do the wing tip boots look less blobby than the LWBs? They're both Barrie last but somehow the boots look more sleek to me than the shoes.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Is it an optical illusion or do the wing tip boots look less blobby than the LWBs? They're both Barrie last but somehow the boots look more sleek to me than the shoes.
The generally larger proportions of the boot do help to combat the generous shape of the Barrie Last.

-Mike

macher

Reaction score
You look like a 7.5E candidate. I see the signs of your small toe spilling over the welt.
Don’t know what you’re seeing but I have plenty of wiggle room in the toe area.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. No Alden today as vintage Florsheim shell came up in the rotation.

IMG_4877.jpg

macher

Reaction score
He’s talking about where the outside edge of your right foot looks like it’s spilling over the welt - kinda stretching the leather to accommodate your width.
Hi thanks for the response. I think it’s the way the pic is. Defiantly not spilling over the welt. It’s the way they are made.

Where that double stitching is on the side it’s hard there. See how it’s sort of coming over the welt compare to as you get close to the toe box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.