• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my opinion the simplicity of plain toe styles really pairs well with more “interesting” leathers. Specifically shell and suede but also CXL and chamois. Calfskin doesn’t appeal to me in plain toe styles.

The TSM model is nice. Alden Madison has a version with brown welt and sole edges that I think I prefer. But I probably prefer it because I already have the 9501 with natural welt and edges. But one thing I know for sure, you’re due for a new pair of something.
Have a couple pre-orders hanging out still, wouldn't wear the longwings enough to order them.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had the same feeling about black PTBs feeling like security guard shoes. I worked around that by finding a very reasonably pair of AE black shell Leeds and then changing the edge color. It gave them some personality and they lost some of the security guard shoe vibe. At least enough for me.

View attachment 1155266
They look great with the edge color changed, not security guard-ish at all now :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TSM cap toe boot for mid-Friday
IMG_5632.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you change the edge color yourself? If so, pray tell how.

I have previously used a hand sander with blue painter's tape applied to the upper just above the welt to protect the leather when something slips. I found I did not personally wish to spend that much time and effort again. So for the PTBs I took them to my local cobbler and asked him to sand down the edges. Cobblers have a nice belt type sander they use in doing half soles and other jobs. He just sanded them down and handed them back to me. I think he charged $10 or something of that nature. I took them home and applied Allen Edmonds chili edge dressing on them for the color. Then I applied shellac over this to seal them. You can then also apply wax to buff up the shine.

Disco Volante

Reaction score
I have previously used a hand sander with blue painter's tape applied to the upper just above the welt to protect the leather when something slips. I found I did not personally wish to spend that much time and effort again. So for the PTBs I took them to my local cobbler and asked him to sand down the edges. Cobblers have a nice belt type sander they use in doing half soles and other jobs. He just sanded them down and handed them back to me. I think he charged $10 or something of that nature. I took them home and applied Allen Edmonds chili edge dressing on them for the color. Then I applied shellac over this to seal them. You can then also apply wax to buff up the shine.

I did the same thing to my 911s. Sanded and Allen Edmonds Chili edge dressing. Worked well!

vincentkd88

Reaction score

I was planning on doing this to my BB unlined color 8 loafers. Since my work attire is business casual, I find that the loafers look a bit too formal with the dark edges. If I remember correctly, there was another forum member that did this to their loafers and they looked fantastic.

I believe there was another method posted in the past by @Misterg12 . I don't recall what that method was though.

jnik

Reaction score
I assume you've checked with Brooks' customer service? Hopefully they'd be able to help you track down a pair.

While we're on the subject, I've noticed that my unlined loafers don't have the "HAND SEWN" embossing on the insole like the other models I've seen. Is anyone else's like this? I assume it's just a minor difference but curious if anyone knows why that might be. I've attached a picture of mine to compare with the one from the product page.

View attachment 1155313 View attachment 1155314
Mine, recently acquired, look exactly like the image you shared from the product page, with hand sewn embossing

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning on doing this to my BB unlined color 8 loafers. Since my work attire is business casual, I find that the loafers look a bit too formal with the dark edges. If I remember correctly, there was another forum member that did this to their loafers and they looked fantastic.

I believe there was another method posted in the past by @Misterg12 . I don't recall what that method was though.
@FatTuesday is who you’re thinking of. I tried something similar without too much sanding, mostly acetone.
D47B4695-E459-4545-ABA7-373086F0FAE6.jpeg

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FatTuesday is who you’re thinking of. I tried something similar without too much sanding, mostly acetone. View attachment 1155420

I sought to make some of my shoes less stuffy looking by changing the edge color. I have sanded and lightened several pairs. I believe others have done it with more elegant results.
20170424_182802.jpg

20170601_171401.jpg

20170425_115739.jpg

20180913_120353.jpg

Another solution - let the pros do it! These were converted, welt and all, by Nick at B Nelson.
cole 4.jpg

20170717_122445.jpg

Either way, good luck!

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I sought to make some of my shoes less stuffy looking by changing the edge color. I have sanded and lightened several pairs. I believe others have done it with more elegant results.
View attachment 1155437
View attachment 1155434
View attachment 1155435
View attachment 1155436

Another solution - let the pros do it! These were converted, welt and all, by Nick at B Nelson.
View attachment 1155441
View attachment 1155440
Either way, good luck!

Love the loafers! I considered changing my color 8 LWBs DIY style, but am quite happy I didn't do that for the antique edge. IMO, best to either have full antique or keep them black.

vincentkd88

Reaction score
@FatTuesday is who you’re thinking of. I tried something similar without too much sanding, mostly acetone. View attachment 1155420

View attachment 1155437
View attachment 1155434
View attachment 1155435
View attachment 1155436

View attachment 1155441
View attachment 1155440
Either way, good luck!

Wow. All those look great!

So I pretty much have to strip the edge dressing by sanding or using acetone. Once stripped, I condition the edges with Saphir renovateur. After that I coat with AE chili edge dressing. Does that sound about right?

I've never done anything like this, so I'm a bit hesitant. But if it's as easy/simple as it sounds, I might give it a go this weekend. Any other tips?

I might also attempt to remove the "cloudy" finish in the rolls of my unlined loafers.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These just arrived and I have to say, do you even loafer if you don't own any unlined suede on their flex welt??? Also, the feet will start to get a bit more color now that it's golf season...:brick:

20190405_161231.jpg

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Alden bros heading to the Masters this year? I was fortunate enough to score tickets for Thursday’s round. Sadly I don’t think I’m gonna wear Aldens though because it’s supposed to be a thousand degrees and I don’t own loafers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads