• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe my first pair was 975, sized 10D, acquired at Leffot.

Second pair was I believe a tan suede PTB bought at J Crew.

Amazingly, I think my next few pairs included ravello tassel loafers from Leffot, cigar captoe boots from Alden DC, and whiskey chukkas from Alden Madison. These were all bought by either walking into a store and buying off the shelf or just calling and ordering from available stock. No preorder, no waitlists, etc.
...and if I remember correctly, you wear a wide (E) size too!

Reaction score
Some idle speculation: Since the Brooks Brothers - Alden relationship seems to have ended completely (for now anyway), and Brooks no doubt was Alden's biggest customer, that means Alden now has excess manufacturing capacity due to the reduced demand.

Purely a guess, but let's say the Brooks business was somewhere between 10% and 20% of Alden's total. I bet that not so long ago the number was much higher, maybe even 40%.

Brooks never really stocked shell colors other than #8 and black, and #8 and black aren't really scarce, so there won't be much effect on supply of any color, regular or exotic. Demand is going to be lower, but some Brooks buyers will head to other stockists for substitutes (tassel loafers without foxing, lined penny loafers, identical full-strap loafers).

The only effects I see are some downward pressure on pricing and faster order fulfillment. We have come through a decade with no inflation, yet Alden has raised prices every year. (Maybe shells were indeed getting more expensive.) Signs of inflation returning are visible now, but this reduced demand may dominate that. I doubt Alden wants to lay off workers, so lag times will shrink.

Last edited:

fourdoggies

Reaction score
82BF154A-9CCA-4A4F-8287-30069FF12B7F.jpeg
I got an email from JCrew about a new makeup of Aldens for sale but I have not seen them on the website. Here is a screenshot of the email.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens to all my commando soles. Krazy glue makes a flexible gel glue. Works great and is easier to control than the liquid kind. Be careful and tape off the area you don't want to get glue on. My advice is to fix it asap. once they start to come unglued they wear much much faster.
While commando has become quite popular here, I am not a fan. I’ll grant that they are very comfortable to walk in, but I can’t stand how quickly they wear down and fall apart. They simply aren’t as rugged and tough as you’d think. I have a few that I enjoy, but when it’s time to resole (which won’t be long at all), I’m going with double waterlock or something similar. I think the commando sole limits the shoe/boots’ versatility anyways.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While commando has become quite popular here, I am not a fan. I’ll grant that they are very comfortable to walk in, but I can’t stand how quickly they wear down and fall apart. They simply aren’t as rugged and tough as you’d think. I have a few that I enjoy, but when it’s time to resole (which won’t be long at all), I’m going with double waterlock or something similar. I think the commando sole limits the shoe/boots’ versatility anyways.
It is more casual looking than Waterloc or leather as it puts a more "aggressive" look on the sole. I haven't had any fall apart yet, and for a rubber sole, much prefer it to Dainite. I'm hoping that none of mine fall apart anytime soon.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working on a bit of patina this week. I've put on quite a bit of miles during spring break, from desert, to snow, and around town. And after all this, these boots are still squeaking like crazy!

DSC_3361-01.jpeg

IMG_20190315_125753-01.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads