1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Dec 31, 2018.

1. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Distinguished Member

Man that's rough! :(

Sorry, behind the times with everything going on! DAMN I wish they stocked my size tassel in color 8. So nice to grab the stuff from them on sale versus full price for Alden stockists.

2. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

I guess everybody has a shoe that pushes their buttons. That NST Monk is an IT shoe for me. I'm waiting patiently for a pair in Color 8. Your Ravellos? leave me speechless!

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

Sign me up too! :slayer:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019

4. aero25

aero25 Distinguished Member

Blue Suede shoes matched my blue numb hands while peddling girl scout cookies with my daughter this afternoon.

IMG_20190217_154630-01.jpeg

5. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

He still thinks it's "strange" that grown men would post pictures of, and discuss, footwear on a forum devoted to clothing/style/footwear and such. He called it something, but I don't want to post as might possibly offend someone here (I don't know, just don't want to take the chance). He may wind up with more Indy Boots, thought Shell was overpriced and not worth it, "Hell I could buy a new riding lawn mower for what that sh*t costs" was about his quote. Oh well, wife's friends husband so I only see him occasionally, but he does make a killer venison sausage and low country boil in crawfish season.

6. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

The thing is, they can handle the hard labor activities just fine. In fact, other than ice on sidewalks, I can't think of any real boot-ish job Indy's can't do.

7. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

I like those peanut butter sandwich cookies, just sayin'.

8. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Evening wear - S&S Stone Crusher boot, the pair I am NOT selling. I think I know why I bought two, after too many adult beverages, they are darn comfortable, and were a closeout, no longer available after these are gone, thing. Anyway good boot to lounge around in. IMG_4927.jpeg IMG_4928.jpeg

9. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

Anyone have pictures of the AoM 97873 natural CXL LWB? I think I like the darker welt and sole edges on that one versus the 97871 from TSM.

10. FibroblastsMakeLeather

FibroblastsMakeLeather Senior Member

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for the compliments on my LWBs, even though they are horrendously dirty and spotty.

If I may, I'd like to politely address your comments about my 'fit issues' with the Barrie last. As an individuals comfort is a very conceptual state of mind, I will try to describe exactly what ails me with the Barrie.

After thinking about it for a while I remembered this youtube video from a guy in Europe who has a great collection of shoes "Shoemaster Andy's Methods". He posted a video comparing the 990 and the AE Leeds. If you scroll to the 2:59 mark he discusses the tapering toe of the Barrie last. It is clearly evident when the two shoes are side by side.

The issue for me is that my feet do not fit the curve like as the Barrie last tapers. Consequently, my outer pinky toes push into the side of the shoe where it tapers. This doesn't happen to me in the Truebalance or Tremont lasts (I go TTS in the Tremont), which give me plenty of toe room. In addition, I find the area in the Barrie where the balls of my feet rest Over-supported. This puts me in a weird position where I might need go TTS in Barrie even though I go down half a size in Truebalance, which is perfect. In general, all of the other lasts that Alden utilizes may be better for me so losing out on one is ok by me. Also from a visual standpoint, my favorite last is the Plaza followed closely by the Tremont. I hope to try out the Grant next though if all goes well this year.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019

11. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

These are TSM’s 97873 from about five years ago. I too thought the darker antique edge looked a lot better than the natural welt-edge. I had just applied some AE chili edge dressing (from about a week or two ago).
    C38FC050-D579-42E4-8739-268CA17C109C.jpeg E838A9B2-D152-4874-963E-F4B7FEABA3E0.jpeg

12. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Distinguished Member

Thanks for this. I’ve been recently toying with the idea of off-loading my Leeds for the 990/9901. I always thought the 990 had blind eyes like the Leeds. So I learned something today.

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Lovely looking Blue Suedes!!! Looking killer. Hope that your hands thawed out.

Looking great in your Boots. It is weird that we take pictures of our feet and post them online. But that is what you do when you are hooked on $800 shoes.

No worries or need to explain the situation. My comment was pretty generic. The Barrie isn’t my best fitting last either. I love the fit of the Aberdeen. Which some close friends are appalled by. Talking to the DC guys a week or so ago, all shoe Lasts really are not anatomically great. They are designed to fit well while looking good. The best matching Last would be much less appealing.

Those are great. They have a nice patina forming on them!!!

-Mike

14. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Distinguished Member

Didn't get a chance to post last night before the rodeo event. Had a very special maiden voyage of some Alden plain toe boots in color 8 on commando. My first commando sole. I see the appeal now as they were extremely comfortable right out of the box!

It was nice to walk through slop/water and not worry about the leather soles being damaged. Can't wait to wear these in nicely.

Lace was untied as I took the photo after the event at home, plus a little slipper action before slipping the boots on!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

This is exactly why I don't discuss Alden shoes with anyone outside of the brotherhood. When you don't get it, you just don't get it, and I don't appreciate other dudes mocking my interest (as usually happens). I don't discuss how many I have, how much they cost, or where I buy them.

I have a friend who recently got into the Alden game and he's made a few "funny" comments to my wife about my collection and how much they cost. I told him right away, knock that crap off. I don't need the heat.