1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Because of your pictures, I ordered this model in black cordovan. Looking forward to receiving it

2. Andrew Carkhuff

Andrew Carkhuff Senior Member

Congrats! This is probably my favorite and most worn pair, you’ll be very pleased with them I’m sure!

Make sure to post pics when they arrive :D

3. sanomnia

sanomnia Well-Known Member

Did you mean Alden NST in Cognac?

4. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Yes, Alden Cognac CALF not Shell.

5. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Black Shell plain cap toe boot and grandpa jeans for, well, being a grandpa. IMG_4924.jpeg

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Mine would be my JCrew "Brassvello" Ravello LWBs. I love that shoe, the pattern, the shade, and the brass.

-Mike

7. mdubs

Looking very good on this fine Sunday Dog...

-Mike

8. mdubs

Tuesday. Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan NST Monks. Blue and Red Argyles. Brooks Bros Navy Flannel Trousers.

Alden Ravello Shell NST Monks - 2019-02-12 - 1.jpg

Wednesday. Alden Black Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafers. Marcoliani Black Argyles OTC. Epaulet Charcoal Super 130's Flannel Walt Trousers.

Alden Black Shell Tassels - 2019-02-13 - 1.jpg

I wore my King Dr. Jones on Friday, but was in a massive hurry to get out the door and didn't have time to take photos...

-Mike

9. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Thanks. Good boot for the 1/2 inch of snow we got overnight, Commando is the key and it's really hard to hurt shell.

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Almost rebuilt color 8 collection after deciding to go up to EE and EEE widths. Waiting for a color 8 Indy. Not pictured: LHS and tassel loafers. EEE looks a bit too wide in Hampton, would likely go EE next time.

90E760C8-953A-4F97-9B31-22D25E4BC229.jpeg

Working on black cordovan next. Two on order (9901 and black jumpers) along with 975. Really like Aberdeen in 10EEE so I may go with NST bluchers.

CD02579F-6DED-4948-8B7F-4765EDE1A359.jpeg

11. SonnyUte

SonnyUte Senior Member

One pair of Indy boots, eh? I’ll believe it when I see it. More likely, he will realize how comfortable good shoes/boots can be. This will be the first of many such purchases, and you will have been responsible for helping to another poor soul to his doom. He will suffer with the rest of us. Lol!

12. SonnyUte

SonnyUte Senior Member

Which is a replay of Harrison Ford’s story. And why we call them “Indy’s!”

13. FibroblastsMakeLeather

FibroblastsMakeLeather Senior Member

Working through Sunday. I'm a writer in some ways, so I write when I can.

So far the weekend has been to utilize my Alden staples. Yesterday it was my 403s, and today it is the Alden 975AC from Adam. Yes, they are dirty and need some attention! But it has been snowing here and since these are built like tanks I wear them! Especially important for me are the commando soles. I know everyone here says double leather is the best, but for me, it is impossible to wear on a daily basis while walking a lot of gravel.

Out of all of my Alden shoes (I only have 4 - Plaza, Trubalance, Tremont, and Barrie) the Barrie last is the least comfortable to me. It just doesn't fit my foot as perfectly as the other 3 lasts. However, it is still supremely comfortable, just not like the other lasts.

20190217_095353.jpg

14. macher

macher Senior Member

Yea that’s what I told our son. He loves the calf and so do I. He said for what he does the boots are good but wouldn’t wear them for hard labor activities.

I might get a pair but not before I go to Molded Shoe to try the Modified last.

15. mdubs

Fantastic family of Color 8 Shell Cordovan. I get the struggles of sizing and having to re-architect my collection. Your shoes all look magnificent and glad that you are finding your perfect fit!

Fantastic looking LWBs. That is interesting on the Barrie, because it is Alden’s most popular last predominantly due to its generous shape that is generically foot friendly, but as always your mileage may vary. Regardless they look good and happy writing!

-Mike