1. MEGA EASTER EGG HUNT has started now! There will be $50, $100 eggs and a Golden Egg with a pair of St. Crispin's brown oxford shoes from Skoaktiebolaget inside!
  2. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Dec 31, 2018.

1. AMD500

AMD500 Senior Member

I tried to google, but I don't see them on their website...pictures and specs please

2. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Distinguished Member

I am not too worried about rolls as brushing and shoe trees help immensely. No bite in the back, but they just seem to not want budge!

I did plant my heel and raise my toes and try to flex that way a bit in case the shank was sticking funny. I'll try the bend method you described tonight. They are just persistent and it's making me worried that they're labeled incorrectly! However, I haven't worn/walked in them a ton but usually don't have this problem. The right foot feels just about fine but the left refuses to give in, so I guess that shoots down that incorrect labeling issue! :p

I echo @DWH I would love to see photos of what they look like now. If the uppers aren't cracked, there is no reason you can't resole! I would LOVE to see photos of shoes that old. Most of our shoes here don't approach that.

They won't recraft if they're trashed and might even give you a discount on a new pair if they can't do it. They'll be honest with what they can do. I've seen some THRASHED loafers taken back from the grave; it sounds like yours are far from that!

3. gilby

gilby Senior Member

Aberdeen NST 8s - TSM
    IMG_6127.JPG IMG_E6134.JPG

4. fourdoggies

fourdoggies Senior Member

Here's a question someone will know. Will Alden restore shoes that have previously been re-soled or otherwise worked on by third-parties? I think for AE the answer is no? Not sure about Alden either.

5. Twebb

Twebb Member

I guess I will find out.

My shoes will be headed in this week. There is nothing on the website, that I have seen, referencing the need to have had all work done by Alden.

6. Shawnc

Shawnc Distinguished Member

They will but it is not a guarantee. It really depends on the quality of the work done by the cobbler. I have sent many shoes in that had previous work done with no issues.

7. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Sure, I believe they are on Barrie and are tan calf, comfort wedge sole. No longer a current model which is why not on website. I remember how I got 2 pair, involved an order really late one night after perhaps a couple too many adult beverages. They don't have Alden box, but have bags, no trees. Here are some pix. IMG_0525.jpg IMG_0526.jpg IMG_0527.jpg IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0529.jpg IMG_0530.jpg IMG_0531.jpg IMG_0532.jpg IMG_0533.jpg IMG_0534.jpg IMG_0535.jpg

8. Twebb

Twebb Member

9. MrDV

MrDV Distinguished Member

30 year old #8 shell must look amazing. Please share a picture or two.
    I apologize to those who’ve heard me SCREAM this before, but color 8 comes back practically black from Alden restoration.
    Not to worry if you don’t care about patina and lighter shell colors. But I ended up selling my 8 nst bluchers after Alden restoration because the color came back SOOOOOOOOO dark.
    The rest of the process was great. Soles, shape - felt like they had been relasted and reshaped, return time; all great.
    The color was a real disappointing aspect of the restoration.
    Notes asking for the color to remain untouched during restoration may not be considered.
    I was told by a long time Alden employee, that emails and notes hardly ever work for restoration because several hands work on the same project, not everyone gets to read the customer’s preferences.

10. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

The leather on these is called Pecan Austin Leather, S&S also had Indy boots in same leather.

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Always weaseling me with these shots.

12. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

I ALMOST made a comment to you when posting this!

13. Vocans

Vocans Senior Member

Has TSM run the whiskey PCT in the past or how did folks find out about this makeup to get on a list for it?

14. Shawnc

Shawnc Distinguished Member

I am generally a fan of Alden's recraft. As @MrDV indicates, they will come back darker. Fortunately for me, I've never had them come back unacceptably dark. However, I just recently sent in a pair of 20-year old unlined BB LHS's for recraft and after breaking down the shoe I got the call indicating that they could not put them back together. That is the 2nd time that has happened to me. They offer you the opportunity to purchase one of their stock models at cost but it still bites.

However, my advice to you has nothing to do with this. I think those fullstraps look amazing and I would not send them back. I would patiently work those puppies as to my eye, they've got plenty of life in them. You're never going to get the creases out and neither will Alden. But those shoes have some amazing patina and they will clean up just fine. They just need a little TLC.

15. Andrew Carkhuff

Andrew Carkhuff Senior Member

I think the way TSM runs their list is you tell them which color rare shell you’re interested in, and when it’s your time on the list, they contact you when they’re about to do a run in that color. Could be any model. And as far as I know they don’t disclose the makeups they have for future runs beforehand.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong tho, this has just been my experience with their waiting list.