• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With an impressive boot collection as is, cant wait to see whats to come!
Might be these:
588_06.jpg

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Id like more discussion and info on this, even PM with other brands if you can.

I find Barrie flat as hell for arch support, which my hugely thick orthotics don’t fit in Barrie at all. But the Pedag 3/4 posted here a lot works out well for that bit of support I need to prevent overly painful feet.
Modified has plenty of arch support (although I’ve only tried on not owned but Wow huge diff).

Never tried Grant or 379 unfortunately.
Hey CanadaCal - Sure I'd be glad to share my experiences. I'll start a PM conversation with you

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Id like more discussion and info on this, even PM with other brands if you can.

I find Barrie flat as hell for arch support, which my hugely thick orthotics don’t fit in Barrie at all. But the Pedag 3/4 posted here a lot works out well for that bit of support I need to prevent overly painful feet.
Modified has plenty of arch support (although I’ve only tried on not owned but Wow huge diff).

Never tried Grant or 379 unfortunately.

Pedag 3/4 helps a lot in Barrie boots.

Disco Volante

Reaction score
While I still prefer the Commando over Dainite (because that sole is a fall risk in some wet and all icy conditions) I’m getting frustrated with how many where the stitching is just blowing out in the first few months of wear. After about 2 years of wear they start flapping in the breeze until I Shoe Goo them back onto the leather outsole. Anyone else had this happen? Maybe it’s the way I walk?

I have 14 pairs of Aldens plus other brands, so they are subject to a relatively gentle rotation. Always a brief rest after wear before cedar trees and stored in a dark climate controlled room. Worn as boots should be worn, but not overtly abused. Left to dry naturally, never by a heater or the gentle kisses of a propane torch. They are treated with all the usual SF Alden thread care, buffing, Alden Leather Defender, and the occasional dab of paste waste where needed. I’ve seen it happen with Barrie,Trubalance, and Grant last boots. Plain toe, cap toe, tanker. Shell, Alpine Grain, and Reverse Chamois models have all been affected. The leathers that are supposed to be the hardest wearing for “foul weather”. A2F0863B-F94A-4B1C-A25D-D71D8087A79B.jpeg 6066EC17-65B3-4C87-836C-22E9AC32A24C.jpeg D6D4A1C4-D319-4987-BB5D-929889DB5359.jpeg 26714C4B-36DC-4D85-AE1B-08EBE2CA2482.jpeg A118AEA8-67BE-4992-9FE8-2751D58A24E5.jpeg 7BC82B50-567A-4E71-A96C-CE1CB82EF005.jpeg EA85D32E-F0C4-4E35-B057-B493C39BC46B.jpeg 8E164E2C-CA8F-4400-8C78-BF2281C2E85A.jpeg

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I still prefer the Commando over Dainite (because that sole is a fall risk in some wet and all icy conditions) I’m getting frustrated with how many where the stitching is just blowing out in the first few months of wear. After about 2 years of wear they start flapping in the breeze until I Shoe Goo them back onto the leather outsole. Anyone else had this happen? Maybe it’s the way I walk?

I have 14 pairs of Aldens plus other brands, so they are subject to a relatively gentle rotation. Always a brief rest after wear before cedar trees and stored in a dark climate controlled room. Worn as boots should be worn, but not overtly abused. Left to dry naturally, never by a heater or the gentle kisses of a propane torch. They are treated with all the usual SF Alden thread care, buffing, Alden Leather Defender, and the occasional dab of paste waste where needed. I’ve seen it happen with Barrie,Trubalance, and Grant last boots. Plain toe, cap toe, tanker. Shell, Alpine Grain, and Reverse Chamois models have all been affected. The leathers that are supposed to be the hardest wearing for “foul weather”. View attachment 1096509 View attachment 1096510 View attachment 1096511 View attachment 1096512 View attachment 1096513 View attachment 1096514 View attachment 1096515 View attachment 1096516

Gotta be the way you walk, man. Do you supinate? Seems like the outer edges are wearing down way faster.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have 14 pairs of Aldens plus other brands, so they are subject to a relatively gentle rotation. Always a brief rest after wear before cedar trees and stored in a dark climate controlled room. Worn as boots should be worn, but not overtly abused. Left to dry naturally, never by a heater or the gentle kisses of a propane torch. They are treated with all the usual SF Alden thread care, buffing, Alden Leather Defender, and the occasional dab of paste waste where needed. I’ve seen it happen with Barrie,Trubalance, and Grant last boots. Plain toe, cap toe, tanker. Shell, Alpine Grain, and Reverse Chamois models have all been affected. The leathers that are supposed to be the hardest wearing for “foul weather”. View attachment 1096509 View attachment 1096510 View attachment 1096511 View attachment 1096512 View attachment 1096513 View attachment 1096514 View attachment 1096515 View attachment 1096516
I haven’t had this happen to this degree, but I am not a fan of how quickly the commando sole (its stitching in particular) wears out. I prefer the double waterlock sole. It’s more versatile and lasts much longer.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone had a relaxing Christmas and a few days off.

One last post about my shoes. Is anyone interested in a brand new pair of Brooks Brothers loafers in color 8 brand new in box with bags for less than the MSRP? Size 10.5D.

PM if interested, I need to get them out of my house soon.

Thanks!

Your best bet is probably using the for sale section of the boards.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to work today was difficult!

Tassel(less) Thursday with AldenxBB low vamp loafer in color 8. Love their styling.
img_20181227_121510041-jpg.1096582
img_20181227_121606012_hdr-jpg.1096583

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had this happen to this degree, but I am not a fan of how quickly the commando sole (its stitching in particular) wears out. I prefer the double waterlock sole. It’s more versatile and lasts much longer.

I wish they’d put the double waterlock sole on more styles, it’s my favorite.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because most sellers don't know/ care, and Alden lists it differently than many others. They actually show both widths.

This is very true. I guess I was in the dark about the sizing before I knew what was going on.

Your best bet is probably using the for sale section of the boards.

I thought about this. The board seems so hard to search and posts come so quickly that it's almost immediately buried beneath tons of other posts.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
DiscoVolante, (alfa fan?)
I had a similar thing happen with the commando sole on my leffot tankers. Pretty much my fault that the edges tore because as i sit at my desk at work i kinda lean forward in my chair and my toes rest on the floor. Hard to describe... but i was disappointed that the edges of the sole basically tore off. I was going to send them in to be repaired bbut decided to just have a local guy put vibram half soles on, since the commando is like a half sole. I probably "ruined " the boots for purists, but i like the vibrams a hell of a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads