• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UWF0lAM.jpg

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. The pants are coming awfully close to being as great as the shoes. Where from, may I ask?

Thank you Sir.

They are genuine Harris Tweed and I procured them from the UK...

Cheers!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

Why does Alden not offer brown shell as a standard makeup like Allen Edmonds does? It doesn't really seem like a "rare" color. Is Alden's cigar shell that much different than AE's standard brown shell? I have a pair of each and they seem really close in color and tone.

I love Alden and rarely criticize them but this question has puzzled me since my first introduction to fine footwear. I have heard others say there is a difference (olive/green undertones???). I have cigar, rancourt espresso and AE brown and the differences are imperceptible to most eyes. Seems to me that shell suitable for color 8 would also be suitable for cigar. Given that and the way we all get excited when cigar becomes available would lead me to conclude that it is simply Alden's way of creating demand by treating a basic color as exotic.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great boots. Are those the S&M cream flannels? My pair arrives tomorrow...
Thanks and no, these are ones I had made at Luxire. Very heavy and only for the coldest of days..

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suede for the day.

33095F9E-0416-4DA6-94E4-11C56042657C.jpeg

Mallaig

Reaction score
Everyone likes comparison photos. I had the CJ and Trickers out for photos to post for sale I took some shots with my Aldens.

View attachment 938330
L-R Cigar Indy size TB last 9 D, Original Tanker 9D 379x last, Captoe Grant 9.5D, Trickers 4497 last 9 5 width, Coniston 8,5 E (335 last I think), Alden Wingtip 9E Barrie last
another view:

View attachment 938329
Hi. I'm curious about the sizing of the Coniston vs the Trickers. Does the size 8.5 Coniston have a similar fit to the size 9 Trickers 4497 ? I have a pair of size 9 width 5 Trickers Stows which is a good length for me but requires thicker socks because of the roomy toe box.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

Why does Alden not offer brown shell as a standard makeup like Allen Edmonds does? It doesn't really seem like a "rare" color. Is Alden's cigar shell that much different than AE's standard brown shell? I have a pair of each and they seem really close in color and tone.

I love Alden and rarely criticize them but this question has puzzled me since my first introduction to fine footwear. I have heard others say there is a difference (olive/green undertones???). I have cigar, rancourt espresso and AE brown and the differences are imperceptible to most eyes. Seems to me that shell suitable for color 8 would also be suitable for cigar. Given that and the way we all get excited when cigar becomes available would lead me to conclude that it is simply Alden's way of creating demand by treating a basic color as exotic.

Nick Horween has confirmed that both Cigar and Ravello are Alden exclusives. I know other makers offer cigar shell cordovan but it doesn't start out as Horween's Cigar. Given that they're Alden exclusives, I imagine they're produced in much lower numbers than Horween's other shell offerings. I'm not sure it necessarily has anything to do with Alden artificially constraining supply or a lack or pristine shells.

For what it's worth, most of my AE brown shell is considerably darker than my Cigar, though I do have one pair of AE brown that's very similar.

Last edited:

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nick Horween has confirmed that both Cigar and Ravello are Alden exclusives. I know other makers offer cigar shell cordovan but it doesn't start out as Horween's Cigar. Given that they're Alden exclusives, I imagine they're produced in much lower numbers than Horween's other shell offerings. I'm not sure it necessarily has anything to do with Alden artificially constraining supply or a lack or pristine shells.

For what it's worth, most of my AE brown shell is considerably darker than my Cigar, though I do have one pair of AE brown that's very similar.

It may be that the names "cigar" and "ravello" are Alden exclusives. But it's clear that they could produce cigar shells in mass quantities if they so desired. Just like other brands can mass produce Birkin bags or Daytonas if they so desired.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

^^^I was thinking the exact same thing.

Not to beat a dead horse (pun intended) but I took this pic a week ago when I decided to sell my Rancourts. I've heard NH's explanation but again, tough for me, and certainly anyone who is not a regular visitor of this site, to see the difference.......

20181208_141022.jpg

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be that the names "cigar" and "ravello" are Alden exclusives. But it's clear that they could produce cigar shells in mass quantities if they so desired. Just like other brands can mass produce Birkin bags or Daytonas if they so desired.

Yes, except in the case of Birkin bags or Daytonas the manufacturers aren't constrained by a supplier with limited raw materials (Horween) who ultimately decides how many and of which colors raw shells are turned into.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, except in the case of Birkin bags or Daytonas the manufacturers aren't constrained by a supplier with limited raw materials (Horween) who ultimately decides how many and of which colors raw shells are turned into.

My sources tell that the same shells used for color 8 are the same for cigar. Which means someone can choose to make more cigar if they wanted to. Why else would AE and Crockett and Jones have a constant supply of brown cordovan boots and shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads