• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sport watch, Luminox Navy Seal and Alpine LHS
984371E5-6829-42A0-884A-231D2309CE23.jpeg
4F748CF0-3FCE-4B96-8836-8B7C7D6C413D.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally shell will fit slightly looser than suede or other leathers since they can't last it quite as tightly.

I've heard that same thing many times and it seems to hold true. What about sizing on calf vs shell then? Wouldn't a calf shoe fit "better" or might glove-like since it can be lasted to a true 11D, 12B, etc whereas shell cannot?

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard that same thing many times and it seems to hold true. What about sizing on calf vs shell then? Wouldn't a calf shoe fit "better" or might glove-like since it can be lasted to a true 11D, 12B, etc whereas shell cannot?

Generally, Shell is looser than calf. However as I was saying a few pages back that my Barrie lasted Alpine Grain LWB is way more generous than my Barrie lasted shell saddle in the same size. I’ve heard where two same sized, same lasted, same styles can fit appreciably different.

Now, I would think the last would take precedence over style in my case, when it comes to fit. But then again, the expected assumption here is that the same level of force is used across all styles and sizes with regards to materials, and that’s probably not accurate.

When I watch the videos of the lasting process, it looks like a steam machine is forming the material over the last and then the insole and finally the outsole gets stitched on. So my thought is somewhere between lasting and stitching the insole, there’s some slippage happening? There may also be variances if they’re using the same size upper for both 9 and 9.5 for instance. The 9 in that case would have more material to work with.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say it depends on the person. If your feet are truly exactly an 11D (which is rare), you might get better fit on a calf shoe. Personally, my feet are somewhere between an E and EE and I find that my shell shoes fit slightly better in an E than a similar E calf/suede makeup.

Also worth noting that calf will stretch somewhat whereas shell won't so that can impact the fit as well.

hoser133

Reaction score

gilby

Reaction score
For those who have a suede tanker in Barrie ( @Misterg12 ), does the boot fit any looser or more snug than the Barrie tanker in shell? Thanks very much in advance!
While suede is a bit more snug ofF the bat it will give more than shell and calf. Not enough to size down though. CXL is going to stretch the most.
Shell > Calf > Suede > CXL

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, Shell is looser than calf. However as I was saying a few pages back that my Barrie lasted Alpine Grain LWB is way more generous than my Barrie lasted shell saddle in the same size. I’ve heard where two same sized, same lasted, same styles can fit appreciably different.

Now, I would think the last would take precedence over style in my case, when it comes to fit. But then again, the expected assumption here is that the same level of force is used across all styles and sizes with regards to materials, and that’s probably not accurate.

When I watch the videos of the lasting process, it looks like a steam machine is forming the material over the last and then the insole and finally the outsole gets stitched on. So my thought is somewhere between lasting and stitching the insole, there’s some slippage happening? There may also be variances if they’re using the same size upper for both 9 and 9.5 for instance. The 9 in that case would have more material to work with.

Very cool, thanks! It would be interesting to know if they use the same size upper for different sizes... That would really shock me.

I could see the same last fitting differently in a boot vs blucher but I would certainly hope that a blucher vs blucher or balmoral vs balmoral would be exactly the same!

I'd say it depends on the person. If your feet are truly exactly an 11D (which is rare), you might get better fit on a calf shoe. Personally, my feet are somewhere between an E and EE and I find that my shell shoes fit slightly better in an E than a similar E calf/suede makeup.

Also worth noting that calf will stretch somewhat whereas shell won't so that can impact the fit as well.

My feet measure a solid 11D. Maybe a touch, touch above 11 in length, but 11 is basically spot on. My width is literally dead center D on the brannock device. However, my heel to ball is a 12 though. I find the best fit in the 65 last (AE) in 11D and 11.5C in Aberdeen. I believe I am an 11D Van.

As someone above said, calf will stretch too, so that might cause I bit of a looser fit in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads