1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Alden Thread for 2018 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2018.

1. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

2. fourdoggies

fourdoggies Senior Member

Every time I see pictures of these I kick myself for not jumping on that J.Crew deal when they were first released. They just didn't speak to me. I guess now I know next time it's better to buy and return than not buy.

Looking good. Did you size down half a size? Regular width? They don't look very modified last at all.

3. Misterg12

Misterg12 Distinguished Member

Mocha for breakfast. Alden x Leffot mocha shell .
    1800E4CE-5BE7-4D5E-897B-CA10D65F2C19.jpeg

4. AEShoeMan

AEShoeMan Senior Member

Alden x Leffot alpine grain boots in the office today
    20181207_073346.jpg 20181207_074632.jpg

5. Vocans

Vocans Senior Member

Color 8 tankers today. Happy Friday, everyone.

20181207_085532.jpg

6. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Leffot suede Indy's for a chilly Friday morning. IMG_3995.jpeg

7. Caligula77

Caligula77 Senior Member

8. FibroblastsMakeLeather

FibroblastsMakeLeather Well-Known Member

Finally got to wearing my Alden 6 eyelet plain toe chukka from B&M. Got rid of the flat laces and went with round laces. I like this look better on these shoes as they are less formal. Still not sure if I know what I'm doing with laces but experimenting has been fun ... 20181207_075351.jpg

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Its casual Friday and I, too, went with the 6 eyelet chukka. Indoors and outdoor sunrise shots.

IMG_4040.jpg IMG_4039.jpg

10. fourdoggies

fourdoggies Senior Member

Two questions.

1. I emailed Alden (with pics) to ask about care/product suggestions for the dryness/peeling on my Ravello shoes and they asked me to send the shoes to them for "inspection." Any clue what that means and what the process entails?

2. Anyone know a good place for a leather dog collar that has a quick release snap buckle instead of the traditional belt buckle with prong?

11. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

It means they need to see them in person to determine if they need to refinish; pictures aren't enough. They will most likely strip and refinish them with new glazing in the affected areas...or may just strip the glazing.

12. FibroblastsMakeLeather

FibroblastsMakeLeather Well-Known Member

Great looking pair of shoes! The Chukkas were my first pair of Alden. I purchased 2 more pair this year. Alden shoes unfortunately were not my entry to my shoe addiction. It started with AE 15 years ago in graduate school. I worked in London for a while and wandered around Jermyn Street. This of course led me to experiment with GYW shoes at places like Charles Tyrwhitt, where I could make mistakes. After making MANY mistakes with fit and style I finally had the courage to go into the Crockett and Jones shop and try on shoes. I also experimented with Alfred Sargent. Because of the pictures on Alden's website I couldn't understand the loyalty for 'clunky' Aldens. This forum, especially pics from @Misterg12 and @BackInTheJox indicated that I should visit an Alden store to see what all the fuss was about. I had a chance to visit Brick and Mortar and lucked into the pair of 6 eyelet Chukkas and started to gain an understanding and appreciation for Aldens. I am now hooked on the culture of different retailers making their own special makeup of the classics!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 10:12 AM

13. gilby

gilby Senior Member

Thanks guys! I love a good Sinn, I've got the 757 and a U1T. As far as tool watches go few do them better. I just jumped on the NATO bandwagon and it works great on the 757. Now back to shoes.

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Went same as TB/Barrie size, 8D. Technically 7.5E or EE in Barrie is a little better, and if these came in those sizes I might have tried them. But yeah I’d go with the usual half size down TB/Barrie method for these.

15. gilby

gilby Senior Member

Wow! Nothing wrong with those.