1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Alden Thread for 2018 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2018.

1. thewodg

thewodg Active Member

Thanks. Will have to check them both out!

2. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

Are you wearing one Alden and one AE?

3. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

4. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

Btw. If anyone had a J Crew Blue Suede Indy in a 9 they are unloading let’s talk.

5. GGMac

GGMac Senior Member

I’m not sure if there is a rule about tan county calf after Labor Day but if there is I’m breaking it. Love the American Trench “American Slub” socks as well.

4517024C-4237-480A-A654-5C40A3CE0FA1.jpeg
    79F505F0-6AC6-4830-B153-608437B18D7B.jpeg

6. JSO1

JSO1 Distinguished Member

Yeah, look at that welt stitch. Brutal.

7. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Don't care; super jealous

8. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Sherman Bro's color 8 NST boots IMG_3636.jpeg IMG_3640.jpeg this morning, then back home and AOC boots with moleskin, it snowed an inch last night here.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

Indeed. (though I didn't go out that way - went Alden). These are 12D AExMD Chukkas in Olive and Alden Hunter Green chukkas (14298).

Alden's finishing is very clearly apparent in a variety of ways - even the thread is thicker. I do prefer the colors of the AE suede and thread. The Alden is slightly more comfortable for me with a bit more support at the heel, which might be slightly taller, though both are really comfortable. The leather feels very similar, though the Alden has less nap on the suede.

10. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Very nice Shawn, those are looking great! The "Dr. Jones" is just simply a fantastic model.

Love the 403 spell out. Those look great on you. The classic.

Those look horrible G. Just horrible.

Looking great today Dog, great and rugged looking model!

Very cool looking your Snuff LWBs. A very great model.

Very nice and congratulations on your new King LHSes. This is a dangerous habbit... :)

Congratulations 4Dog! That is a stellar model that has a very nice and unique vibe to it.

You are looking stellar today in your Natty Indys. They pop really nicely against the dark denim.

Looking great today Doc in your Boots. They look very cool with the blue laces and the denim.

You should still be infatuated with those, they are amazing and you are looking great in them. Looks really nice with those cords. They will be happy to have a companion to share the load with.

Hope that you are doing well and in good health. Your classic Indy Boots are doing you well.

Very nice today in your lovely Commando LWB. A great looking pair that can endure some more.

Yeah, that is just a superb combination for a superb boot! Nicely done JSO!

Very awesome Don in your Plaza NSTs! Those are aging superbly and they look really nice against the bricks.

Those Indy Boots are looking great Dog. You are looking great again today.

Those are looking great and glad to hear that you supported my local guy! Very nice and they look great with the Cords as well.

Those Snuff Tankers are looking very good! Looks stylin' with them brass hardware.

Those look very good JJ, that is a fantastic model. It never hurts to wear them just a few times on carpet to soften them up a pidge. Not necessary assuming that you know your size however.

Lovely looking King Tassels from our Foxing friends at Brooks. Hope that you kept cool!

Hah, I am doing well, thank you very much!

As it cools off, it is always great to wear some CHUPs with your Boots and Shoes. Those look great my friend and those boots are awesome.

Congratulations on your new Ravello MCTs. It never hurts to try to get a slight discount, but they may not do it as they will sell eventually. Its not super uncommon for there to be some dye inconsistencies on Shell, as the dye is applied by hand. Sorry to hear that your Aberdeen's aren't the fit that you were expecting. I would not have gone up a width on the Aberdeen from my Plaza size. I wear the same in both.

Those are look great Magneto. Those King Antique LWBs look great and a nice pairing with the denim. Love the fall color background.

Well, I hope that you got a good deal on them and hopefully they will make someone very happy!

Very nice Galileo, definitely a more casual look, but still tasteful.

Very nice looking Indy Boots my friend and those #4 Bergs are looking great as well!

I am glad that you are enjoying your PCT Boots and are happier with having them re-done with a high quality leather sole. Aram does simply fantastic work.

Hah, I think there is something slightly off there... As JSO said, the welt is like night and day.

Those Chukkas are looking just superb in the early morning sun. Thats a great model with the Antique and Commando on them!

GG, those Tan CC Indy Boots are looking great. They look great with those socks as Selvedge as well. Enjoy them much!

-Mike

11. mdubs

Those are both looking great on you my friend! Very nice combination of Boots! Wait, snow??? Wow. Keep warm my friend!

-Mike

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

Yup - the difference is significant, though at $249 the MD Chukka is a great bang-for-the-buck. The additional details for the investment are immediately apparent on the Aldens though - the welt-stitching/wheeling, the thread thickness and stitch count, and especially the execution of the toe puff. This generation of the MD chukkas has a better executed (and less visible) toe puff, while Aldens' is essentially invisible (even with trees).

I'll be keeping the MD's as travel shoes (no shank makes the TSA process easier), but I'm a giant fan of the Alden chukkas. 11.5E is a bit better fit than my 12E pair in snuff.

13. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Thanks; these chukkas have aged beautifully.

14. Vocans

Vocans Senior Member

Got to spend some time today with the gentlemen at Alden of DC. They were both super patient as I worked to narrow down sizing on a few additional lasts. They confirmed my suspicions that I need to size up in width and down in length going from Barrie to TB due to my instep.

15. mdubs