1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Alden Thread for 2018 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2018.

1. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

I’m very pleased with the leather used for uppers on my 9501’s. Even though the shoes are two years old, it’s still soft and smooth as can be. No signs of loose grain, just lovely subtle wrinkles at the flex points so far. A wonderful shade to start with. Not much pull-up effect, but still good stuff.

That’s the kind of thing, along with the construction and comfort, that helps me cope with the premium price.

2. Shawnc

Shawnc Distinguished Member

Man, there is just so much to love about this shot.......

And this one.......

I have finally come around on Truebalance. It looks especially great on this boot.

Whoa.......

North of $800 we want them to be perfect but sometimes it just doesn't work out. For my money, ravello and plaza on a great make. If the fit is good, I would say they are keepers. After 3-4 wears you won't even notice the flaw. It is a really nice pickup.

I think you're both right. Whenever I've sent shoes to Alden for a non-compensated repair, they have always returned them in a basic white box. In my experience, you only get the gold-star treatment when paying for a recraft.

What's in a name. I put my plaza indys back on the shelf and glanced at my ravello utips. Honestly folks, for my money, I can't see the difference (other than the obvious).......

Whats in a name.jpg Whats in a name3.jpg
    SPOILER ALERT - NON-ALDENS TO FOLLOW!!!

These are the reason I decided to move my Cigar Indy's. I love the Indy's but for the way I wear 'beater' (non-dress) boots, I just kept reaching for the Berg #4's......
    Color4.jpg
    Color4-2.jpg
    Mea-culpa - I can't find the spoiler alert option in my browser. I will continue to look for it.

3. thewodg

thewodg Active Member

Mind sharing where you got those awesome laces?

4. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Those #4's look awesome. Spoiler alert is hidden, access via the little + symbol at top of reply box, at least on my Safari browser.

5. audog

audog Distinguished Member

I am not involved in this race, however I am happy to officiate if desired.

6. Shawnc

Shawnc Distinguished Member

Thanks and absolutely not. I get most of my laces from Guarded Goods or the Hangar Project. I'm pretty sure the laces on the 4's came from HP.

It seems as the full functionality of the site is available in Safari but unfortunately I go between Edge and Firefox. I'll take a look and thanks. Always appreciate the info.

7. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior Member

I purchased a pair of PCT boots (AOC-51) from AoC a few months ago, but became less thrilled with the commando soles over time. I tried, but I guess they're just not for me. They just seemed to spoil the profile and thought they would be better suited for a different type of boot, perhaps beaters. In any event, I sent them off to AH One to be re-soled with double leather JR soles and a storm welt. I just got them back and am much happier with them now. Aram did a great job. I am not aware of any make-ups quite like this. There are some similar ones, but nothing with these specs. I took a couple of quick photos, but will try to take some better ones and post them this weekend.

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

8. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Those look quite nice now! I don't like paying over $900 for a pair of #8 Alden shell, but I do like the fact that you now have leather soles! If I don't see a plaza Indy on leather build in the next few years, I may do the same with a pair.

9. fourdoggies

fourdoggies Senior Member

Thanks. They are 10.5E but I was pretty surprised at both their width and length given that I'm a 10.5D/E. Even with thick socks and insoles, I'm getting a bit of heel coming out of the back.

Thanks for the input.

I have yet to find a shoe that I like with a Commando sole. The new sole looks great.

10. Mr.Chest

Mr.Chest Senior Member

Hey all, don’t mean to distract from the discussion. I was able to snag my desired pair of navy suede Indy’s from j crew and i’m planning on returning the natural cxl wingtip boots I also picked up as they are a 1/2 size too big. I was just going to return them but was curious if anyone wanted to take them off my hands before that as I’m happy to pass on the discount I got on them.

They are size 9D. Brand new never worn, tried on once. I paid ~$430 and it would just be that plus the cost of shipping to you. Pm me if you’re interested!

Thanks all.

11. DWH

DWH Senior Member

That sole looks like it will last you forever. I hope you wear the hell out of them.

12. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

Very cool that Aram can get you a raised welt from a flat one. Have to file that away and remember when I resole one of my shoes. Thanks.

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

14. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

AoC chukkas in the morning sun

20181109_074833.jpg

15. gilby

gilby Senior Member

Fantastic work! They look great, love the dark edges and storm welt.